rescue issues -- can't see (?)

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

rescue issues -- can't see (?)

Post by fillyok »

I must've lost my marbles, but I let this local rescue lady get me roped into helping rescue two female chow/mixes. Currently they're staying in a lady's backyard where they're able to get food/water, but not much attention. She's a cat person. but has taken to the one that looks like a malamute/chow mix. The two were seized when the owner was going to be cited for the condition they were kept in.

Here's the problem...the cream one isn't socialized AT ALL. She's snapped, growled and barked at me and the lady that pulled her from the shelter. I went over to see them on Thursday and thought she looked like she might have a sight problem (she stepped in a food bowl). She doesn't look at me, but kind of stares off. To top things off, today I was over there talking with the foster mom and we both saw her walk into the wash room door. She might be totally blind. The foster mom said she ate some canned dog food off of a fork yesterday (through the fence), but still snaps and growls. How do we deal with this?

The friendlier one is scheduled for spay on Tuesday and might be transported to WTCR next weekend. Do you think it's a good idea to separate them since the friendlier one is very protective of the other one?

summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: rescue issues -- can't see (?)

Post by summer_rose03 »

I might suggest sitting in the fence, maybe on a chair or ground. Let her come to you. Once she comes to you on her own, it will be much easier to work with her. Go very slow, so as not to frighten her. Make sure to talk in a soothing voice so she knows you are there. Don't just reach out to touch her, hold out your hand with a treat or something for her to smell. No fast movements.

As far as separating them, I am not sure. Maybe keeping them together would help the blind one to trust people more. I would also try contacting a pet trainer for advice.

Good luck and thank you for helping these poor dogs!
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I agree with summer_rose, seperating them may make it harder to socialize the one who probably is blind, especially if she has formed a tight bond with the other one, she's dependent on the other one for everything. She won't understand if she's suddenly on her own, and it won't do the other one any good either. These two are going to need a lot of work to gain trust, sounds like they have been living on their own just about and that they have learned to trust each other mostly. Just being around them, talking softly, offering treats, but don't allow nasty behavior. If she growls or snarls, get up and leave her for a bit, then when she's calmer come back and start talking again, offer treats soon she'll begin to understand that a soft voice means good things and that good things go away if she acts nasty. Ciabella's who rescued sophie tells the story of how she coaxed a very feral sophie into her yard and then house. I think you can search for it on here, if she can turn sophie around you can turn this girl around, she's very pretty by the way. they both are.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

fillyok wrote:Here's the problem...the cream one isn't socialized AT ALL.
She's snapped, growled and barked at me and the ladythat pulled her from the shelter.
The cream malamute/mix might have been bonded to a male human, and might have had bad experiences with a female human (?) In any case, if she is blind, her whole mental map of the world has been taken from her. She's probably terrified/extremely stressed. Separating her from her sister, altering her sister's scent by the surgery would probably make things worse right now. Here's a group you might want to join. There are related sub-groups also...

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/blinddogs-rescue/
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Big changes with these two!!! Wow, what a difference a few days make. The foster mom took off a few days and has spent some time with them and they love her. I went over there this morning to take Carina (not Corrinna) to the clinic for her spay appt and the both of them were up at the fence wondering what was going on when I walked up to the house. Eliah (foster mom) said they both come to her and lick her hand/leg and want chicken strips. I took the bag over there on Saturday and they didn't want anything to do with them. Time helps so much when it comes to these rescues. I think both will be able to find good homes in due time. We're taking a male cream over there this afternoon after he's neutered. They'll be in separate yards but will be able to see each other. I hope they all get along.
As for the sight problem...I think she might just be impaired.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

This is wonderful news!! Time certainly can work wonders!! (and of course...love.)
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I hope your new house has a BIG fenced yard. Me thinks you are going to become the Chow lady of SA. Only renting is holding you back! Better than cats, the Chows won't eat you when you fall and can't get up (they will just look at you in disgust for being in the way, and walk away from you).

It is good to hear these 2 are doing much better.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

No Chow hoarding for me. [-X My new place has 1.6 fenced acres, but a pet limit according to the home owner's association. We'll see how that goes...

Carina came home after her spay yesterday and seemed fine. Estrella (Star) was happy to see her. They have a new buddy to play with too. A young male named Manny. He was neutered yesterday and escaped the small yard three times to get into the big yard with the others, so the foster mom decided to leave them alone.

According to my new rescue friend, there are two more owner surrenders waiting for us to pick them up, another male in Houston and one more in Corpus...Chows coming out our ears here in South Texas. #-o Erin is still with me and is getting to be quite the attention hog. The strange thing is they're all so small...they're like mini Chows.