Keep The Teeth Clean (HOW?)

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

h0n33y
Rank 0
Rank 0

Keep The Teeth Clean (HOW?)

Post by h0n33y »

Available DF in my Town:
Science Diet
Royal Canin
Eagle Pack
Pro Plan

all those above I have ever heard bad news. Being re-called watsoever. Only Eagle Pack seems a bit better than the others, is it true? (only Eagle Pack Puppy Formula = bad ---- not the hollistic one and other types - from article I read) How about, the breeder's choice one? I completely understand that price never lie....do not expect breeders choice to maximize the best my dogs, it can not be comparable to hollistics one. But is it ok? especially for chow chow which quite selective in eating DF.

need some enlightment....
Last edited by h0n33y on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
h0n33y
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Which DOG FOOD?

Post by h0n33y »

wew no one reply..............
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

It's a sticky subject to be honest. Science Diet is generally agreed by a majority of people on here that it's not good. I'm not sure if Red Dragon uses ProPlan still, I used it on my Chow and his poop was runnier and there was definitely more of it. The other two I've heard little about. The most important thing to look at is the ingredients. You don't want something with a lot of fillers, and corn and such stuff. Honestly, I know very little about a lot of the dog food, and a lot of us on here feed ours Nutro. You should look through the other threads, because there is a wealth of info on dog food. You might try putting Royal Canine and Eagle Pack in the search bar at the top and see if something comes up. I'm sure it will. Good luck!
OH! Look under the nutrition section for more info on food!
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm no expert either. From what I've read, it seems best to get the best food you can afford. The kinds found in the grocery store are not very healthy.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Here's one thread that was done a while ago....the food topic can get a bit heated :roll: ...hope the link helps:

http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4084
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

h0n33y wrote:wew no one reply..............
Hani, you started your thread at 12 midnight. Since the bulk of the active members are based in North America, most of the members are not yet awake to reply at that time.

You were feeding your chow Eagle Pack. Why change? You also posted once before regarding a German line, Josera. Did you try it? As for Breeder's Choice, are you inquiring about their Pinnacle Holistic line or their AvoDerm Natural line? On paper, the Pinnacle line sounds good. To date, I have not heard of anyone feeding their chows Pinnacle (or I simply can not recall). I feed my chows AvoDerm from time to time. They enjoy it and one of my boys' fur shines quite nicely when on it.

Good luck.
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Aren't you in europe? I had some problems with UTI's in some females with the new Shredded Blend ProPlan. I think you have a different formula in Europe the best I remember, so I couldn't comment on that. I never had any problems with the older Lamb & Rice formula, nor any problems with the Selects formulas.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Red Dragon wrote:Aren't you in europe?
According to past post and profile, Hani and chows live in Indonesia.
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

Leela loves...and does really well on...Eagle pack..the kind with anchovy and I rotate with the duck formula
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
h0n33y
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by h0n33y »

cool then I'll stick with it then......

Bought it and she firstly didn't seem so excited bout it....
but now she's eating quite a lot....

she likes it when I mixed the DF with rice and some cooked (boiled) meat and the soup

rice = more fat? I know its not the main stuff a dog requires like us Asians (mostly Indonesian, we eat lots of rice)....but she likes it....what more can I say....and FYI she's not a fat gal...its just that her coat is not as beautiful as it used to....have some bald spots here n there, the vet said its the fungus thing...it will grow back, but I don't see its happening....the bald spots is getting better but the coat isn't getting any better

any suggestion guys?

and also...seems that she has....I don't know how to call it in english, its on her teeth....dental plaque??? its like when we don't clean (brush) our teeth for quite sometime, it get harder n harder to clean....

I don't like the idea to get the vet paralyze my dog just for cleaning her teeth....so....lets cross out the vet thingy....any other suggestions?
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Keep The Teeth Clean (HOW?)

Post by Cara&Haley »

Give her some raw bones. I find that' the best way to keep teeth clean.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

h0n33y wrote:

and also...seems that she has....I don't know how to call it in english, its on her teeth....dental plaque??? its like when we don't clean (brush) our teeth for quite sometime, it get harder n harder to clean....

I don't like the idea to get the vet paralyze my dog just for cleaning her teeth....so....lets cross out the vet thingy....any other suggestions?
I don't know where you live but if you can buy dental bisquits they help, I have been giving my Chow a dental Bisquits (Nutro) every morning for 13 years, she has never needed her teeth cleaned she gets a checkup teeth included every yaer the vet says her teeth are fine.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage