Chows at Westminister dog show

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chows at Westminister dog show

Post by Sylvia »

The following link contains the video of yesterday's Chow breed judging.

http://video.westminsterkennelclub.org/ ... id=1002863
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Chows at Westminister dog show

Post by Piff Poff »

Thanks for posting, we stayed up and watche the hounds and then the terriers came on at 11pm and we couldn't keep our eyes open any longer, I shall show hubby later!
Thank you Sweatpea
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I had the pleasure of seeing this champion up-close and personal last Friday when I transported a little Chow boy to Linda at West Texas Chow Rescue. That's her husband Mike in the video. I just have to add...their place is like Chow (and other dog) HEAVEN!!! I melted when she let me hold a puppy. :x
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Thank you for that video. It's a pleasure to watch those fluffy show chows!
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

They were beautiful chow chows.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

yes,thank you for posting the video.
they;re all so beautiful :D
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

If anyone saw the Chow that won the breed, did you notice when they looked in the dog's mouth that he pawed at their hands? Carter does stuff like that all the time! Brian and I were both like "So that's where he gets it!". Anyone else's Chow like to use their paws to push you away?
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Okay all you Chow experts, especially you Phylis, who actually saw the BIB- How would you describe the color 'slate', as it pertains to Chow nose leather? It is the only acceptable color besides black for their nose color. To me, slate is gray/charcoal. Lily has brownish nose leather. I always thought she would end up with a dudley nose, but then, I thought she was cream when she is in fact, a light shaded cinnamon. How does this apply in this thread you ask? Well the cinnamon's in the clip appear to have the same color nose as Miss Lily. Maybe it is just the video, but I thought maybe someone else knew?
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

I watched the video on the internet before this was posted and it made me smile to see all those precious "fluffykins" flouncing around the ring. The 2 blacks were just gorgeous.

However, what made me chuckle the most was that they all had these little black butt holes from their close grooming...not like the "common garden variety" that most of us own whose back ends are wild and fluffy and have covered "holes".
I have been feeling a bit down and out lately...my company is now announcing big time lay offs and since I am it for my household income ...being in limbo waiting for the word has been stressfull to say the least expecially because I have to have that big ticket item called health insurance...so a decent chuckle helps.
Who know shortly I may have the time to do more that a good brushing on my two...perhaps I may start trimming big time and have ...2 little black holes prancing around my house!
Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Mm! Fred noticed that and was not happy! He would not want his precious girls groomed quite so close as that. :lol:
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

The blue who got 4th place just didn't seem right. Maybe it was the grooming but he seemed top heavy almost. The front half looked too big compared to the back half where the others all looked nice and even. Still love those blues! Wish one would actually win best in breed for a change.
ImageImageImage
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

I just took Buddha to a groomer and she groomed him like that...I HATE it! Poor guy, they trimmed his tail and everything right around there :shock:
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Aaw! Bless! Can they not respect his privacy a little!! :( :oops:
Never mind, his wool will grow and perhaps you can brush it over to cover up "X marks the spot".
Give him a hug from me.

xxxxxx
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

As a groomer, I must tell you all that I shave all doggy butts unless told not to. This prevents "dingle berries". I have too many dogs come in just stinking of poop that's probably been there for months. And these dogs SLEEP with their owners. It's best just to cut the hair away and prevent poopy butts. Yes, it's not always the most attractive thing in the world, but I believe the comfort of the dog must come before how the dog looks. As far as the tail, I usually just trim up anything that hangs in the way.

And I once saw someone on here complain that their groomer shaved the shaft area on their male chow. It's for pretty much the same reason as the butt. Leakage and pee causes matting and stinkiness. If the hair isn't their, it can't stick to it. They don't need the hair to "whisk away the pee from the shaft" as someone stated. Especially since that part comes out somewhat for the act and the hair just gets in the way. Otherwise, wouldn't all these short haired dogs be extra hairy down their? It will just cause infection having all the bacteria and moisture sitting there for so long.

It's something that has been bugging me on here, and as a groomer I just wanted to clear it up.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

I do see your point, it's just not very pretty. :) However, Buddha rarely has a poopy butt, and if he does I get it cleaned up pretty quick. I was just surprised to see it, because no other groomer has done that.
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
Bear's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bear's Mom »

Beautiful dogs. They are like no other. :mrgreen:
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Sorry, I didn't pay that close attention to her nose. I was in Chow overload and couldn't believe I was seeing so many Chows at one time. :shock:
Igor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Igor »

By the way such close grooming doesn’t go very well with chow standard. It explicitly says that obvious trimming and shaping is undesirable. I even remember some article in a magazine when author asserted, that was although about keeshonds, that seeing this “holes“ just means excessive trimming which often done to hide not very good coat. But it looks like that now judges don’t expect anything else.
When we showed Mishka most professionals around advised us to trim his butt. We answered that we are not as much in winning as to touch such a beauty. But one judge I remember wrote that Mishka has a “stylish butt”. :oops:
Anyway, Mishka’s butt is almost everything that I see during walkies. So It is in my own interest to keep his rear fluffy and clean. Beauty always has a price. :D
Mishka and his family
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

I understand the definition of "show grooming" of many different breeds. But, I am a pet groomer and about 90% of the people on here on own pet Chows, not show Chows. Hence why I was pointing out the reason behind the practice of shaving sanitary areas on pet dogs. Most show styles and grooming practices are not practical for the everyday lives of pet dogs. For instance, a yorkie in a full show coat is not practical for a dog that likes to run around and play all day. In real life, this dog would be a tangled mess by the end of the day. As with most pet dogs, pet owners don't have the time or dedication in grooming as show dog owners. So, grooming has to be adjusted based on that.

I'm trying not to come across as grumpy, and I apologize if I do. I have been a pet groomer for 6 yrs and have seen too many people be more concerned with how their dog looks then what is best and most comfortable for their dog.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

summer_rose03 wrote:For instance, a yorkie in a full show coat is not practical for a dog that likes to run around and play all day. In real life, this dog would be a tangled mess by the end of the day.
My sister keeps her Yorkie in a puppy cut because he likes to go out and make a mess of himself with sticker bushes. I used to trim Tucker's shaft area because he had a very bad problem of dripping and getting gooey down there. I also trim around Holden's butt because he makes a mess of himself sometimes when he goes poo. If he ever has a problem with getting gooey around the shaft, he will get trimmed there as well. And if Hannah were to have problems in that area she would also get trimmed. I don't like cleaning poopy butts.
ImageImageImage
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Chloe went to the groomers one time and came home with the 'sani shave' or as I called it "the bare butthole". I had a fit because their instructions were and always had been to brush and bathe only...no cutting/shaving/trimming. I thought it looked terrible on the show chows as well...I'm sure they were embarrassed! :lol: They all appeared to be trimmed to me...I found that strange. Guess i just prefer the natural chow coat. Next thing you know they'll have them trussed up like the poodles! :shock:
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

As many have heard before around here, the spaying turns our babies into hair machines. It accounts for the extra long mane and breches hair some sport. And of course, it has genetic ties, too. It is just shocking, to see bare little raisin butts as they walk away, when you are used to seeing falls of hair back there. I always amazes me there aren't bigger messes owing to the waterfall of hair, but Lil flounces before she squats, and I think it helps.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

summer_rose03 wrote:I understand the definition of "show grooming" of many different breeds. But, I am a pet groomer and about 90% of the people on here on own pet Chows, not show Chows. Hence why I was pointing out the reason behind the practice of shaving sanitary areas on pet dogs. Most show styles and grooming practices are not practical for the everyday lives of pet dogs. For instance, a yorkie in a full show coat is not practical for a dog that likes to run around and play all day. In real life, this dog would be a tangled mess by the end of the day. As with most pet dogs, pet owners don't have the time or dedication in grooming as show dog owners. So, grooming has to be adjusted based on that.

I'm trying not to come across as grumpy, and I apologize if I do. I have been a pet groomer for 6 yrs and have seen too many people be more concerned with how their dog looks then what is best and most comfortable for their dog.
I think most of the people on here spend more time grooming their chows than most show people do...cause we're all nuts that way, (unless it's a chow that just doesn't like to be groomed) I wash and clean all sanitary areas, and face and ears everytime I groom them just like I trim their claws, and inbetween their toes too. It's part of owning a chow...

I do see your point though, there used to be a beautiful Husky that lived in my neighborhood and I always wanted to ask his owner if I could have him for 2-3 hours and get him bushed out good, he was such a mess with his undercoat never combed out he was all matted and dirty, eyes weeping and he had the prettiest golden eyes too.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

jonathanfsu1 wrote:Congrats Mike Brantley on best of breed.

Thank you for the video!
I concur! It's wonderful when a very respected breeder wins. And the Brantley's are on my respected list. They also won before with a beautiful black boy, you can see him if you go to their breeder site.
Thank you SweetPea!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

Chow Chow Mama wrote:The blue who got 4th place just didn't seem right. Maybe it was the grooming but he seemed top heavy almost. The front half looked too big compared to the back half where the others all looked nice and even. Still love those blues! Wish one would actually win best in breed for a change.
I agree, he does look top heavy but most of it was the trim and his coat type, he looks to be one of those with really long hair on his neck and shoulders and shorter hair naturally on his his ribs and hips, this will make him look top heavy if his coat is trimed to neaten it up, (my LiChi had a similar coat and if I trimmed him for any reason he looked top heavy even though he was very well balanced) What I didn't like was how straight his back legs were and that he was standing full on the foot, even when walking, the bounce in his stride came from his hips, nothing in his knees or off his toes. I don't really like that type of stride.
Thank you SweetPea!