Fires in Australia

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Fires in Australia

Post by carolyn dewrance »

Just checking up on our Australian familys, and do hope you are all safe, thinking about you and praying for your saftey.
God bless Australia
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Fires in Australia

Post by CoraP. »

I've been thinking the same thing. I hope everyone's o.k.!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes indeed, the television reports are very upsetting. Stay safe everyone.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
kez65
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kez65 »

hi i dont know where mally is or what part of melbourne ,Our area is scary at the moment,where i am we arent in direct threat but the surrounding towns are burning away.We have lost 2 townships completely,and the death toll is 109 at this point but expect way more.many dead live stock and famnily animals, we have a few tempoary visitors here till their owners get them selves sorted...over 50% of country victoria is on fire...and most were delibrately lit..we had horrible weather saturday 47.4 was some of the recorded temps...it was windy and the wind was burning..then we got a cool change which brought winds with it that changed the front of the fire...then disaster struck...still out of control and still towns are being evacuated....i just wish it would all stop....scary stuff when you cant see past your fence and hear sirens and have no idea how close the fires are...were the lucky ones...many werent..the stories are heart breaking....keep them in your prayers..
Chowmia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowmia »

That most were deliberately lit chills me to the bone. All those lives lost and homes destroyed, and someone or someones did it knowing full well what the consequences could be. My goodness, what is this world coming to. :( Sending prayers to Australia... [-o|
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Stay safe and keep us posted!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Sending prayers to all our good friends in Austraila. Stay safe

Davod
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Hi everyone

Well this mornign I've woken to find thedeath toll at 173 and still rising. It is just devastating.

I've had some PM's from concerned CC Org friends and Steve and I ARE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COUNTRY. So we are fine.

Judith-Ann and the Senge Crew, although relatively near, are ALL FINE. Mally is not near the fires, so she's okay too. So they have been lucky.

The country is in complete shock. Worst natural disaster in Australia ever. Just heartbreaking. Steve and I have given some money but you still wish there was more you can do. I am also going to donate to a "animal fund" today through the Master Dog Breeders Association. THey help animals affected by these types of things. People forget about the animals. When we had really bad bushfires near where we live a couple of years ago, I know there was no food for the cattle etc because obviously it all got burnt.

Anyway, thanks all for your concern.

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

According to our papers Austrillia is declaring the fires a Mass muder case becouse most of it was arson.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

That is what we have just been listening to on our night news Jeff.
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Jeff & Judy

Some of this is arson but from what I understand not the majority of it. Victoria has been in drought for quite a few years and they have had exceptionally high temperatures for a few weeks now - like 46 degrees which I think is nearly 120F.

They should be charged with murder these arsonists :evil:

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Thank you so much for the update, I hope Judith-Ann and the Senge Crew's luck holds and the winds shift over the burnt area. I am not sure if it is global warming or what. THe weather here is unnatural too. We are going to be in the 40's tomorrow. Which is about 20 degrees too warm. Stay safe everyone

David
kez65
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kez65 »

the churchill fires the bunyip state forest and the huge whittlesea fires were delibrately lit.theyre being treated as a crime scene which makes it even harder for people to get back in to see if their houses are still standing...my neice works in the traralgon vet clinic and she said they re run off their feet with burnt animals...they had a litter of puppies that the mum died in the fires...they have koalas and possums .The rspca said that they cant get in yet to see what animals are there but theyre preparing for the worst,its heartbreaking ,these poor people,its not just their house theyve lost..its their town..rebuilding is one thing but the town will never be the home they remember.
The bushfires here near us (well theres 2 ), are still heading towards towns,and our major power supply is now under threat...its a terrible start to the new year.....the stories are heartbreaking, kids left with out parents, kids that died in cars trying to escape..
one news reporter was trying to get to his wife and she was on the phone to him telling him her and her neighbour were trapped but theyd be ok they would head into the house next door...anyway the authorities couldnt let him back in because of the risk,,and then this one fire fighter said hed go in...and they saved the two women and watching the reporter holding his wife and crying was one of the good stories....its endless the stories coming from there...australia has pulled together and its been great to see how everyone is halping wether is be the aussie cricket team or macdonalds...its great to see.
i just hope that we never have to see something like this happen again..and all for some twisted person getting a 5 minute buzz from seeing a fire rage...they need to be locked away for ever....
sorry to ramble on but living here and seeing the smoke and knowing we're still in it,it makes me so angry..
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Fire is so scary! I hope everyone continues to stay safe.
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Every time I come back to this post, the tears pour down my cheeks, how on earth can anyone be so stupid as to start a fire that would kill a whole town, and how can God allow this to his people, Sorry but I am so upset over this terrible disaster.
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

kez65
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kez65 »

it doesnt matter how many times you see the news and see that same story over and over, each time i cry...i dont know if any of the other aussies on here seen the sunrise story about sam and his wife tina and 2 little boys? but that is so hard to watch.he called her and she told him she was ok.she would go to their neighbours house,they had roof sprinklers in their shed.....and he was asking if anyone heard how she wasand could they call.they gave out his number..and the phone rang while he was still being interviewed.it sounded optamistic,a fire fighter thought hed seen one of his kids...and then today..they did the update....a fire fighter got to his house,they confirmed 3 bodies found and tinas car still parked in the drive way...and it was the hardest thing to watch....theres no good stories coming from all of this....except their closing in on the terrorists..i call this guy that simply because he set out to do this...mass murder the prime minister calls it....
anyway...just one of the stories ...so many....and they say australia is the lucky country.....maybe so..but victoria certainly isnt...
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

My vote for Photo of the year.

Koala rescued from Australia's wildfire wasteland

SYDNEY – It was a chance encounter in the charred landscape of Australia's deadly wildfires: A koala sips water from a bottle offered by a firefighter.

David Tree noticed the koala moving gingerly on scorched paws as his fire patrol passed. Clearly in pain, the animal stopped when it saw Tree.

"It was amazing, he turned around, sat on his bum and sort of looked at me with (a look) like, put me out of my misery," Tree told The Associated Press on Tuesday. "I yelled out for a bottle of water. I unscrewed the bottle, tipped it up on his lips and he just took it naturally.

"He kept reaching for the bottle, almost like a baby."

The team called animal welfare officers to pick up the koala Sunday, the day after deadly firestorms swept southern Victoria state.

"I love nature, and I've handled koalas before. They're not the friendliest things, but I wanted to help him," Tree said.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Thank you Jeff for posting this story, from out of the horror, comes a kind story, a love for other creatures on the earth, sort of makes things just a little more hopeful.
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

That is a lovely story Jeff - thankyou for posting it. It made me smile as I am sure it did many others.
kez65
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kez65 »

and hes right for that koala to sit thereand allow him to pat him and give him water he mustve been very tired thirsty and sore...he drank 3 water bottles full and they dont drink water...they get what they need from gum leaves..he must have been desperate..there is actuall footage of it..ill find the link....its so cute to watch...judy your right, this is one of the good stories....and im sure there will be more.....
kez65
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kez65 »

http://player.video.news.com.au/heralds ... mNzvM39fBl
i think this is it..it will say no longer available but wait a few minutes and there it is..
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I had to click on it a couple of times, but it came on. Good video.
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

This is just horrific!! I viewed the video and noticed another one where a lady was reunited with her two dogs that she feared had died in the fire. We're all sending prayers across the miles. Stay safe.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

When I found that picture this morning I stumbled on it by mistake no one was carrying it, tonight that picture is plastered all over the internet and national news and the forth but climbing most populer read and e-mailed story, I wonder if that firefighter knows he is national news.

ImageImage
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

To all our Australian members, friends and family.....My prayers and thoughts are with you all.

These fires are horrific and whoever started them should be HUNG over a fire!

I saw the koala story early today and apparently now she has a boyfriend...another koala has been putting his arms around her to keep her safe and loved.

Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS