A British point of view

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

A British point of view

Post by Red Dragon »

The Daily Mail (UK) wrote this editorial about Obama on 1/8/2009. (confirmation, Google "London Daily Mail Obama's Victory")

Obama's Victory--A British view

A victory for the hysterical Oprah Winfrey, the mad
racist preacher Jeremiah Wright, the US mainstream media who abandoned any sense of objectivity long ago, Europeans who despise America largely because they depend on her, comics who claim to be dangerous and fearless but would not dare attack genuinely powerful special interest groups.

A victory for Obama-worshippers everywhere. A victory for the cult of the cult. A man who has done little with his life, but has written about his achievements as if he had found the cure for cancer in between winning a marathon and building a nuclear reactor with his teeth. Victory for style over substance, hyperbole over history, rabble-raising over reality.

A victory for Hollywood , the most dysfunctional
community in the world. Victory for Streisand, Spielberg, Soros, Moore, and Sarandon. Victory for those who prefer welfare to will and interference to independence. For those who settle for group think and herd mentality rather than those who fight for individual initiative and the right to be out of step with meager political fashion.

Victory for a man who is no friend of freedom. He
and his people have already stated that media has to be controlled so as to be balanced, without realizing the extraordinary irony within that statement. Like most liberal zealots, the Obama worshippers constantly speak of Fox and Limbaugh, when the vast bulk of television stations and newspapers are drastically liberal and anti-conservative. Senior Democrat Chuck Schumer said that just as *Censored Word* should be censored, so should talk radio. In other words, one of the few free and open means of popular expression may well be cornered and beaten by bullies who, even in triumph, cannot tolerate any criticism and opposition.

A victory for those who believe the state is better qualified to raise children than the family, for those who prefer teachers' unions to teaching and for those who are naively convinced that if the West is sufficiently weak towards its enemies, war and terror will dissolve as
quickly as the tears on the face of a leftist celebrity.

A victory for social democracy, even after most of Europe has come to the painful conclusion that social democracy leads to mediocrity, failure, unemployment, inflation, higher taxes and economic stagnation.

A victory for intrusive lawyers, banal sentimentalists, social extremists and urban snobs. Congratulations America!
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: A British point of view

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Don't you have a Cow to milk or eggs to collect? Life must be boring on a Breeder farm.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

=D= that Brit's point of view is my point of view - but double the trouble living here in CA with Arnold and the "green" light to mandate what vehicles we drive and setting a baseline on the MPGs....
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

It's not just the vehicle you drive, you are going to see huge trickle down affects. That law they passed in California about confined animals will end chicken farms in your state, that will in turn raise the cost dramatically for what you pay for chicken and eggs. They are trying to pass a cow gas tax, they want to tax them because they say the gas from the manure is harmful to the environment, that will in turn raise your cost of beef, the tax is $78 per cow, when you factor in the up charge from all the people that have their hands in the pot, your beef cost will likely be raised 25%. All of this madness needs to stop, it will undoubtably end in war before it's over if it doesn't. But all of those movie stars that back all of this don't care, they have money to burn and have homes in other countries, they can always leave when it all goes bad.
Sam

Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

This thread is funny. Oh, I agree, 100%...cough...we were doing so well under Bush...hehe...hey, isn't Arnold a Republican?...we'll ignore that if he is, and why end in war, when we are in one worse than the Vietnam fiasco? The biggest impediment to democracy isn't the pedigree of our leader, it is the inability to follow common sense when it is anathema to the party line. And that is true for both parties.

I could likely post counter-points of editorials that support BOB (Barrack Obama) and it would not validate an entire nation's view of the USA, just the writer's of said piece. I have mixed feelings about our leadership. But I will not waggle any fingers until he commits some major FUs...like getting into a war that will do nothing for Democracy or oppression and only serves to thin out our population in the 18-25 demographic. We'll be out of that soon enough, and for that I THANK GOD. How long have we been in that futile skirmish? (talk about sucking our coffers dry!)
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Sorry if I don't agree that going further into debt is the way out of debt. Obama's plans will do nothing but leave a huge problem for future generations to have to deal with, and tax us to death in the process. That's what all of this green stuff is about anyway, they set unobtainable goals, then fine people and companies for not meeting those goals, that my friend is government taxation! Taxes are needed to fund the politicians way of life!
Sam

Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

How about complaining when it is actually happening? Where is your criticsm of the Bush spending? This is what I mean by 'party-line' rhetoric. Care to comment on this little tidbit of spending and politics? And YES, I support our troops, someone has to... From the NPR site- Before the war, White House economic adviser Lawrence Lindsay estimated the cost at $100 to $200 billion. So the White House got rid of him and "re-estimated" the cost at $50 to $60 billion. It's now over $500 billion.
The neocons, Rumsfeld, Cheney, Wolfowitz, etc. were just totally unrealistic.

"We are dealing with a country that can really finance its own reconstruction, and relatively soon." – Wolfowitz, March 28, 2003.
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Auddymay wrote:How about complaining when it is actually happening? Where is your criticsm of the Bush spending? This is what I mean by 'party-line' rhetoric. Care to comment on this little tidbit of spending and politics? And YES, I support our troops, someone has to... From the NPR site- Before the war, White House economic adviser Lawrence Lindsay estimated the cost at $100 to $200 billion. So the White House got rid of him and "re-estimated" the cost at $50 to $60 billion. It's now over $500 billion.

"We are dealing with a country that can really finance its own reconstruction, and relatively soon." – Wolfowitz, March 28, 2003.
The Bush spending on the war was a necessary evil, and I support the effort to rid the planet of those that were targeted, 100%. I don't have one complaint about the money that was spent either. I think they underestimated their enemy is the only reason it has cost more than originally planned.

As for Obama blowing a trillion plus dollars on his economic stimulus package, I am totally against it. They want to spend something like 330 million on STD awareness, that stuff is taught in school, if the kids don't want to listen, it's their problem, not mine. He is going to give a tax break on 09 taxes, but that is a year off, it does no good right now. The government does not have the money they plan to spend, it will be borrowed from the federal reserve, and we the tax payers have to pay it back, plus interest.

I was against the bailout that Bush did a couple of months ago, and look what happened, they spent half of it already and it did absolutely nothing, except line the pockets of the people that helped cause this problem.

I'm against giving more handouts to people that bought homes they couldn't afford to start with too, most of these people got in on government entitlement programs and were never checked out, they lied on their applications for mortgages, and they should loose their homes and whatever else they bought. The banks that gave these loans should loose too, they were the ones stupid enough to make the loans, they should suck it up.

I've had hard times myself, nobody stepped in to bail me out, I sucked it up and moved on, and I am better for it. I learned valuable lessons in the process. Nothing in life should be free!
Sam

Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

And then you have him trying to spend tax payers dollars on stuff like this! http://www.newsmax.com/headlines/obama_ ... ode=78E4-1
Sam

Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Dang and I thought the entire world was totally in love with our new President... which in and of itself I find quite disturbing....but trust me...not all of us are in love with 'the star' over here. He scares me half to death.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Me, too!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

It scares me to know that there are that many people in this country that would put a person in charge with no qualifications and someone they know nothing about. I'm actually quite mad to be honest!
Sam

jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I didn't vote for him :roll:
Obama and Oprah.....what a team :lol:
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Must be a Bible Belt thing, bet you guys really woop it up at the grange meetings. except for a few bucks at the gas pumps and taxs going up and down every year I can't think of anything any President from the day I was born has ever done that effected my personal life. As long as they leave Diet Coke and In & Out burger alone I don't care what these people do.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

A victory for social democracy, even after most of Europe has come to the painful conclusion that social democracy leads to mediocrity, failure, unemployment, inflation, higher taxes and economic stagnation.

Amen!
And since i am not even an American yet,I'll leave it at that.
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

The British have learned the hard way about their guns too. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=mKdBxpKqUvs
Sam

kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Auddymay wrote:How about complaining when it is actually happening? Where is your criticsm of the Bush spending? This is what I mean by 'party-line' rhetoric. Care to comment on this little tidbit of spending and politics? And YES, I support our troops, someone has to... From the NPR site- Before the war, White House economic adviser Lawrence Lindsay estimated the cost at $100 to $200 billion. So the White House got rid of him and "re-estimated" the cost at $50 to $60 billion. It's now over $500 billion.

The Republicans were definitely to blame for their spending, spending, spending - and, yes, I am so mad at them for the situation that we are in today. I just want to choke on this "stimulas" package - there is so much crap in it, it makes me sick! Being in California, we are even more sickened from what we see is coming our way. The cost to live here is already outrageous - now it may become impossible. The Sierra Club will become more empowered - they won't be happy until the human factor is eliminated. We need to tax the gas coming our of our legislature! :evil:
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

If you guys wanted paradise and eternal happiness you should have joined Jim Jones or if you want streets lined with gold, tents made of silk and 71 beutiful virgins, Al-quida is looking for Members. In eather case you don't have to worry about elections or Taxs.

ImageImage
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

oh boy....I am not touching this one....I am good just going go drink my coke and have some noodles.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
kez65
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kez65 »

i dont know alot about politics but it seems that like us aussies we had the same government in power here for almost 12 years....it was the idea of change that helped our new prime minister get in..i think we wanted a change so badly that the new fresh face was the better option..tired of same old crap...maybe thats what most americans thought also..they were sick of the bush leadership and went the opposite...what is it they say..change is as good as a holiday...anyway ....im neither for against barack or bush..its not my country to be concerned with..i liked george w...and i liked bill clinton..even after he done that chick...but again...they arent runniing my country...we have mr ruddy rudd......lets see how long it takes for us to be tired of him
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Just another government gone bad!

Australian Gun Law Update

Here's a thought to warm some of your hearts

Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the now available data from Down Under.. It has now been one year (12 months) since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program cos ting Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now available:

Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent;

Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent;

Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent);

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent as compared with the last one year period when private ownership of a firearm was legal.

(NB: the law-abiding citizens did turn in their personal firearms, the criminal element did not and thus criminals in Australia still possess their guns.)

While data for the 25 years preceding the confiscation of privately owned guns showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months as criminals now are assured their victims will be unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home.

Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in 'successfully ridding Australian society of guns.'

This story of well intentioned government intervention in the rights of lawful individuals to own and possess firearms won't be seen in the mainstream US media or on the American evening news. Senator Obama who advocates a similar confiscation in the US will not be reporting any of this to you.

But, the Australian experience speaks for itself. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Americans may want to take note before it's too late!
Sam

kez65
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kez65 »

curious as to where that info came from...and is it acurate
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

kez65 wrote:curious as to where that info came from...and is it acurate
The Red Dragon journal and The Quacks of America gazette topped off with Rush Limbaugh mentality then sprinkled with a little Born again brain rot, Mix it all, then place in the microwave to fry the brain even more.

ImageImage
nuke

Post by nuke »

Obama is going to be a disaster. That "stimulus" package is 1.7 trillion dollars in wasteful spending.....only 5% of the money is going towards rebuilding infrastructure.
Instead, we are spending billions and billions of dollars on worthless programs and people and it will do nothing to stimulate growth.

You liberals got what you wanted, hope you like it. Obama is going to tax the hell out of us AND spend like no one ever has in our history. Hope you enjoy higher taxes and stifling business regulations.

The good news is that the dems are in complete control of everything now, so in two years they will be drummed out of office in the house and senate. For now, they are coming after your money, your guns (even ammo) and will be financing abortions for your teenage daughters without your consent or knowledge. "Yes we can!" lol.

Now that's all I am going to say over here, because it's irritating trying to engage in an argument with some of you who just don't bother to try to understand anything other than the fluff they hear on CNN. Maybe Obama will buy everyone their very own unicorn too.

If you really want to engage with some people that have some real intelligence, join my forum and give it a shot. There are smart people from both camps there.

Jeff, I like you, but you wouldn't last ten seconds in an argument there.
Last edited by nuke on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

See what happens when the smell of manure is in the air, they all come running.

Your right Nuke, Momma used to tell me to quit arguing with drunks and stupid people, its a no win situation but i never listen.

Whats up Nuke, where are you spending your camping days. I can't speack to highly of camping in southern cal. An't no Tahoe thats foresure.

ImageImage