Tess & Me

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Tess & Me

Post by Me & Tess »

To those who are thinking of getting a fluffy, puffy bundle of Chow-Chow joy for Christmas, please read up anything and everything about the temperament of a Chow. Read all posts. It takes a special kind of person to accept and protect this beautiful breed. Chows are complicated, have bigger than life personalities. Sometimes they are aloof, and independent. Sometimes they are guard dogs personified. Sometimes they are demanding and persistent. Chows require lots of care and brushing - most every day especially during their shedding periods. Take time to know the Chow-Chow breed. The Chow will be in your heart & life forever. It is a forever covenant. Pease consider rescuing an adult Chow. Some time in the future, I will once again own a beautiful, complicated, assertive Chow.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Me & Tess wrote:To those who are thinking of getting a fluffy, puffy bundle of Chow-Chow joy for Christmas, please read up anything and everything about the temperament of a Chow. Read all posts. It takes a special kind of person to accept and protect this beautiful breed. Chows are complicated, have bigger than life personalities. Sometimes they are aloof, and independent. Sometimes they are guard dogs personified. Sometimes they are demanding and persistent. Chows require lots of care and brushing - most every day especially during their shedding periods. Take time to know the Chow-Chow breed. The Chow will be in your heart & life forever. It is a forever covenant. Pease consider rescuing an adult Chow. Some time in the future, I will once again own a beautiful, complicated, assertive Chow.
Ditto, and the same goes for any breed, please KNOW what you will have in 6-12 months before bringing that cute little puppy into your home. A puppy is for life, not just until they stop being cute little puppies. A puppy will have accidents, will require training, will chew your best pair of shoes, the antique table legs from your great-grandmother and will shed and track in dirt. If you can't deal with even one of these things, there are cute little battery operated puppy's, that stay in their little stuffed beds and don't even breath unless you turn them on. Please, please THINK before getting a live animal during this time of year. I truly wish breeders and stores would refuse to sell puppies and kittens during this time of year.

Like Me&Tess said, rescue an adult animal now instead, there are a lot of them out there, every breed and every age...
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
KurosMom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KurosMom »

My heart is aching after reading your stories, I am so very sorry about the loss of your beautiful and beloved Tess. I hope your heart has been able to heal with each passing day.
I'd also like to say thank you for sharing your stories and your experiences.. I'm a new parent to an adopted chow, Kuro, and I only hope to provide for her an amazing, safe, and happy home as you have done so for Tess.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I was missing Tess so much last night. I was wishing I could just give her a hug and smell her fur. I would hug her and she would hug me back. Mike asked me what was wrong & I started crying. We have the Christmas tree up - when Tess was with us and we put Chritmas presents under the tree for a couple days before - she would just look, lay under the tree and be very good. On Christmas morning we'd put a special Christmas present under the tree for Tess. When she got up we would say "Christmas Present & let Tess look for her "Christmas Present" and she would find it & rip and tear - the last years I would help her and Mike would say let her do it herself. Every year she knew what Christmas present meant. She was a wonderful girl.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Pip is heavy on my mind as well. My household has gone through significant changes this year, not the least of which is losing my black beauty. Christmas has no lustre this year. I did not put up stockings, and my tree stands well lighted but not decorated. Sadly, I know exactly how you feel.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I miss Milly Ching too. What would I not give to have her back, just for tomorrow. She loved Christmas from the tree being decorated to the smell of turkey cooking to the visits from Carolyn and her family and Rhiannon and Isabelle and then her own Christmas dinner with some turkey and gravy.
However, it is nice watching Maisie Daisy enjoying the preparations - this is her first Christmas with us and she is fascinated. Rhiannon and Bertie Bear have arrived and she loves Bert, as does Matilda and they love bursting in to Rhiannon's room in the morning to help me take her a cup of coffee so I hope Milly can look through the little hole in the sky and see. She will be happy in the Happy Hunting Grounds and I will just remember. Mabel is just happy with the smells coming from the kitchen this evening. :lol:

"Say not in grief she is no more but in thankfulness she was."
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I notice lately how many posts there are of “owners” requesting, seeking re-homing of their Chows. To me this is hard to comprehend. There is a young person going off to “sleep-over College.” Her Chow is twelve years old (that old Chow will most likely make it another year faced with losing the only home she has ever known); people moving. There is a nine year old black female in Idaho who was abandoned recently because the “owner” will not pay the fines and moved away. (Believe me, I think of this girl often and check on her.) When we moved from California to Montana, we were unable to find a decent house because of “no pets allowed.” We could have probably paid $350 for a house in town. But we paid $600 per month (plus storage of our furniture another $80 a month) for a one room apartment (that didn't have a kitchen - just a hot plate, microwave & a small fridge) off in the rural hills at the Eureka Airport attached to a hanger north of town. We spent six months there, three in one room. Tess was our family. You don’t abandon family!

As always I still miss Tess and tears still come to my eyes when I think of her.
Last edited by Me & Tess on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Me & Tess wrote:I notice lately how many posts there are of “owners” requesting, seeking re-homing of their Chows. To me this is hard to comprehend. There is a young person going off to “sleep-over College.” Her Chow is twelve years old (that old Chow will most likely make it another year); people moving. There is a nine year old black female in Idaho who was abandoned recently because the “owner” will not pay the fines and moved away. (Believe me, I think of this girl often and check on her.) When we moved from California to Montana, we were unable to find a decent house because of “no pets allowed.” We could have probably paid $350 for a house in town. But we paid $600 per month (plus storage of our furniture another $80 a month) for a one room apartment (that didn't have a kitchen - just a hot plate, microwave & a small fridge) off in the rural hills at the Eureka Airport attached to a hanger north of town. We spent six months there, three in one room. Tess was our family. You don’t abandon family!

As always I still miss Tess and tears still come to my eyes when I think of her.
I LOVE that it never crossed your mind to give her away when y'all moved. They are our family, and you're right, no one should abandon family.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I don't go into the chows that need home section too much, cause I get so mad. I want to go and get all of those abandoned chows and bring 'em home to live with me, but my landlord might have a problem...I want to get some land so I can take some of them in. Putting a 12 year old chow up for adoption is just plain cruel, she could easily live up to five more years, (we've had many that made it to 17) and her senior years should be spend where she's lived all her life. I live in one of the crabbiest neighborhoods in Minneapolis, I pay way too much rent, but I do it so I can have my chows...They are my pack, my family and that's the way it is.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

We were never sure just how old Tess was when she came to us - if she was three - then she made it to around 16 years old. The kids seem to think she was older.

Not taking Tess on our journey was not an option. She was our furry child. She was so good - perfect if you didn't count the fights she instigated. We forgave those incidents & watched and protected her so the fights were at a minimum. At the end she was still alfa, pressing the issue with other dogs, but was smart enough to know that fighting was not the wise thing to do. I remember her form - head down, back fur raised. She was a formidable big black Chow. I remember her big footprints in the snow. I remember her heavy steps going upstairs in the evening.

I just don't understand how "those" people can just throw away a loyal senior Chow; "those "peolpe" who just decide that they can't deal with the behaviors and just give up and give away. At least the young ones have a chance for a new life with new family. The "Old Ones" will grieve & that hurts my heart.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes indeed - the thought of "The Old Ones" grieving breaks my heart too. They must wonder what and why.
When Milly Ching died, Mabel grieved so badly that at one time we wondered if she was just going to give up and follow Milly. Little Matilda gave her the will to live. You are so right when you say that they are our fur-children - they are and you don't just abanden them.
The do wonder why.
Today we had new windows and doors fitted. We need double glazing.
Anyway, we had the problem of what to do with the girls. Three chow chows - no doors on - a team of men in the house - gates open! :roll:
Anyway, I asked our lovely neighbour Andrea if Mabel could go and live with her for the day thus leaving Fred and me with a young chow each to look after - even if we had to hold on to them all day on a collar and lead.
When the men arrived first thing I clipped Mabels lead on, picked up her bed and a bowl of biscuits and took her next door. She was happy - she loves Andrea. Then the leading fitter discussed with us the problem with young M & M and it was decided that they stay in the kitchen whilst the fitters got along with the rest of the house. I took my embroidery in and we stayed with them most of the time. We took them out several times to spend a penny and all went well. At about 1.00 p.m. the men finished completely the window in the back bedroom so we moved the girls in there, together with my embroidery so that the men could start on the kitchen window and door. At about 2.00 p.m. I decided I wanted my old girl back so I went next door for her. She was fast asleep but when she heard my voice she shot up off her bed and ran over to me as fast as her old legs could carry her - then she could not get home quick enough, bless her. She was so pleased to see Fred and the squirts.
Thing is, they don't always understand why.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Dear Shocker came to visit us a few days ago. She is a little black lab owned by our neighbors. Mike said she came to say “goodbye.” She has had quiet a family of dogs to protect & teach over the years; a little beagle, two Sammy’s, two spaniels. She was the Alfa momma. She fell down face first when Mike was petting her. She climbed up our porch stairs, in pain. We let her into our cabin for the first time in about eight years. It was hard for her to get comfortable but she laid in front of our door and we petted her. She showed her belly. I petted her belly and there were many tumors. I massaged her shoulders and it relaxed her. Then it was time for her to trudge back to the Traina’s, her family.

I always felt bad that Tess wouldn’t allow her to come up here. Tess attacked her twice. The last time I had to wedge a plastic chair in between them & grabbed Tess so Shocker could get away. Shocker looked back at me like I had hurt her. I felt so bad

After (that), Tess would only allow Shocker to come up just to the forest edge. They would go about smelling each other. Sometimes Tess would go down to the Traina’s with out me and visit.

Goodbye sweet Shocker. Goodbye good friend.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Our love for Tess has never faltered. She was a good girl, with the traits that were purely Chow. I never wanted her to feel less. We followed our hearts in how we treated her. Pulled her away from situations that put her in jeopardy because she was not tolerant of other dogs and of certain people. In the beginning she was very protective. We watched how she reacted to people that came into our house. If it was a problem we would put her outside, not making a big deal out of it. In the end I can say we did right by her. When you take a stray/rescue in, you have to consider the breed, when they are older and set in their ways you also have to take that into consideration.
Selethe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Selethe »

I felt so sad when I read about Tess. She and you were lucky to have one another. I hope you can find another Chow to love and repeat the good deed you have done with Tess.
The many faces of momo
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

My sweat Tess, my girl, it’s been almost three years, & I miss you as much as the first day you were gone from us. Almost three years and I tear up, I still sob for the loss of you.

Mike & I went huckleberry picking along Trail Creek Road a couple of days ago. Three years back this time we took Tess with us. She was in pain because of her cancer. It was very hot. We camped along the creek. The area is a special Native American spiritual place. The creek usually goes underground before it comes to the camping area. The creek at the camping site, flows from the sides of the creek, in the middle of the creek there is a natural fountain flowing up from the shale floor.

Tess sat under the shade of a bush next to the creek. There were shallows where she could walk and cool herself. We would throw a leaf into the creek and she would follow it as far as she could, still staring as it road the gentle waters. When we were ready to leave, I took Tess down to the water and she stood on a rock and just stared, seemingly knowing that she would not return she stared off into the distance. I think she left a part of her spirit there.

Mike & I went down to the creek & stood on that same rock, I swear I could feel Tess’ spirit there still. Beautiful, beautiful Tessy girl.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

The pain never goes - it just eases.

"Say not in grief she is no more but in thankfulness she was."

We have a beautiful park here in Crewe and Milly and Mabel loved it. Mabel always loved to choose the way we went in and the route we took round. It would take over an hour to walk round it. Milly was always happy for Mabel to choose which way.

About four years ago the local council decided to do some work on it - they then set about absolutely wrecking it! :shock: Everybody was shocked and it has taken all these years to repair the work that was started. The original contractors were dismissed and new ones engaged. After about 18 months I was sad - I said to Fred "I don't think Milly and Mabel will ever walk round this park again" . Most of it had been closed off to the public. Well I was right - Milly, as you know died almost exactly two years ago and Mabel is getting to be an old girl, even though she is only 11. :(

The Park is going to have a "Grand Opening" on 10th September and I am afraid I will not be going. I cannot face it without my two precious girls.

I expect I will go eventually with Matilda and Maisie - perhaps. :|
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

Well........I don't know what to say. The story of Tess is absolutely a wonderful story. I must admit it took me a couple of days to get through it all but wow it was great . I think Tess knew what wonderful parents he had. He was not about to pass up the opportunity when he saw Mike all those years back, I think he could sense what great people you both are. Dogs have a way of sensing good and bad in people. You brought so much to Tess just as Tess brought so much to you. That's the great thing about memories you'll always have them. Thanks for sharing this story and please keep us updated on your future if there is ever another chow pup that wonders into you life again. By the way, your cabin looks wonderful. The way you describe it and the surroundings seem so peaceful. The only think I could do without is the cold weather definitely not a fan of cold..... Take care.
Sophies Pal
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sophies Pal »

I'm so sorry to hear about Tess.
I had a black chow named Mollie who died of cancer in Oct. 2008. She was 12 years old when she died and it just broke my heart. I loved her dearly and won't ever forget her.
Before her, I had another black chow named Chelsey. She lived on my fathers farm in Kentucky and died when she was seven years old. She ran free there and was struck by a car. We found her the next morning just laying there. Both are buried beneath a huge Mulberry tree on the farm.
I now have yet another black chow named Sophie. She'll be three in October and is a wildchild.
As you can tell, I'm partial to Chows and wouldn't dream of owning any other type of dog.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

So many people have looked at my Tess & Me sight, so many that I can't fathom. I hope that my (Mike & my) experiences with Tess helped some understanding their Chows. We still talk about our girl, remembering just how wonderful she was. As I said before, we bought a Harley. We still have plans on traveling more of the USA. So we have put off adopting another Chow girl. I am a little weaker than last year - no big deal - it is just age. I am a little bit more healthier according to my doc. I really want to take gentle hikes with another Chow girl. Maybe next year. Will see how this year goes. Love to all.
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

Over the years, I have read and, oftentimes, re-read the story of you and your Tess, sometimes I laugh, sometimes I cry. Either way, I always love catching up. I'm sure that, some day, you'll have another Chow, certainly won't ever be another Tess, but we don't replace, we just make room for someone new in our hearts...
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes, I hope you do get another chow girlie to walk with. We still miss our sweet Milly but we do have Mabel and the two youngsters Matilda and Maisie. When our granddaughter Isabelle comes to stay she and Mabel go out in the evening and sit in the garden and watch a bright star. Isabelle tells me that Mabel told her it is The Milly Star. It just makes me smile when I see them. :)
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Give away her 12 year old dog??!! The loyal dog who's gonna say: "Over my dead body" if someone's going to try hurt her person? I can't understand such mentality. If someone or even a dog, is loyal to you, you should do the same. Never abandon.
I do hope you get another chow so you could move on. Dwelling too much on the past will not give you any emotional benefits. I do share your sentiments as I will always treasure in my heart the memories of my dogs long gone and I dont replace any of them. But owning another one somehow makes you think of the future and not the past.
If your health allows you to have another dog, I am sure you'll get fresh inspirations.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

We loved Tess and we chose to remember, not dwell. Tess was the most wonderful Chow that both Mike & I ever had.... EVER. Our memories of Tess live in our hearts & we do talk about her often. She was a big part of our family. I wanted to share the story of Tess, hoping that the story could give some insight to the Chow she was; spirited, funny, stubborn, assertive, sometimes aggressive & how we accepted this girl & how she accepted us. One day when we no longer travel all over this country we will get another Chow. Boarding is out of the question as we could be gone weeks at a time or just take off spontaneously. I did suggest a side car to Mike.....lol. Tess would have loved to have ridden in a side car - insert vision & laughter... My health is relatively good, I can still roam the Mountains of Montana; my wish is to have another Chow girl at my side one day, protecting me from the beasties of the forest. We do live in the present and look to the future, the past is a part of us all. We learn from the past, it is what makes us who we are. Tess was a good, wonderful part of our family, Matt and Wendy do still cherish the memories of our last family Chow.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I don't think Chow behaviors are cast in stone. If you have an aggressive Chow it doesn't mean that your Chow will be aggressive forever. Tess proved that. If you have a Chow that is scared of everything it doesn't mean that your Chow will forever be that way. Just by reinforcing positive behavior has it's advantage. Classes - that wouldn't have worked - no time left in my day. I just had to go with my gut. Tess was family. Mike says we treated her as an equal. We did that. I felt we didn't need to burden her with perfect behavior. And in a loving way she would learn in time. And she did.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I totally agree with your last post. I think people get so hung up on normal puppy behaviours. Mine did the hanging off my clothing and nipping occasionally and being scared of strangers and more but I just followed my heart and thought of what was best for my chows. For one it was puppy classes and for the other it wasn't. I dont require my chows to do everything the "perfect" chow should. I like them to be themselves and I encourage them to get the most out of life but who am I to say that a chow who can walk down the main street and greet every person is better than the one who likes to live her life more privately. I am more that kind of person too. My shy girl has learnt in time too but she still doesn't greet everyone like friends but when she knows you, you are a friend for ever. If you can get in your dogs head and see it from their point of view and be happy for them to be an individual then I dont think you can go far wrong. I do think it helps to live in a country where chows aren't seen as dangerous animals though! Most people in the UK see chows as just another dog (except chow owners of course :D )
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.