Tess & Me

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Tess & Me

Post by Me & Tess »

With love and understanding an aggressive Chow Chow can change. Even timid Chow Chows can change with the right (loosely) "master." Their behaviors are not forever. Tess was very aggressive when she came to us. She was also very territorial (not sure what she went thru before). She was overly protective of me - that never changed, if she didn't trust the person she would sit on my feet looking at the person - or would do a charge over my lap when we were in my car - white teeth baring. We were alfa to her alfa, but sometimes she would trump us; when I stayed up too late, she let me know, or where she decided she wanted to take a walk, she'd take her own direction, if I didn't ask her she would butt me with her nose, a little wine, a little growl. When Mike was working in his garage, she would let him know she wanted to walk by butting him - barking & barking until she got him to do what she wanted. At her end, she made herself the center of attention when we had company, she seemed to love almost everyone. She felt that important. Will I ever stop missing her? - nope! She was my girl. She was Mike's girl too.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

When we went on vacation, we'd board Tess at our vet's. It was an old house that was converted. Big trees lined the back yard & full runs were put in. I regret boarding her, not because of the care she was given, but because as we found out she was a good traveler. She was perfect. When we boarded her we would include a blanket that had our scent. It came back stinking as did Tess the first time. So we'd tell them to give her a bath when we returned. Tess was OK when I got her out of the truck, but going into thru the door I had to push her butt. The girls at the vet's gave her walks. She was cared for there, but she preferred to be with us. When we moved to Montana she was always with us. I will always think of her as the perfect Chow-being. Mike said we are not authorities on the Chow-Chow, but we understood one particular Chow-being. We were her pack. She made that evident.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

September 22, the first full day of Autumn is getting close. The fourth anniversary of being without our Tess. Still hard for Mike & me. The memories still pour out of us. Reminders when I read the posts of others. Memories of Tess, rituals that of the Chow Chow Girl still haunt us. One was when I was done with the day and ready to relax on the sofa; Tess would be sitting by Mike. She would get up and "bow" to me asking permission to sit by me. I am not sure why she thought she had to bow to me and ask my permission, but she would do that every evening, bow to me. A creature of habit, when I was ready to brush her she would go to the same place in our clearing. When we went for a walk at night in the summer she was always ready, she love that the best, leading the way. I remember after my heart attacks how she had to smell each and every flower & plant - left to right before she gave me permission to pick up the gifts. I miss her when I am working in the forest, I can still imagine her watching over me. Still remember her, back fur up and crossing the creek right in front of me, not too fast but steady (there was a puma over the creek). We never tried to change her, never made her worry of what she wasn't. We respected her of who she became for what ever reason. What she gave to us was more that what we gave to us. She loved us without reservation. We just returned what she gave us back to her. Our dear Tess Girl we miss you so very much.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I love this post for what you say about never trying to change Tess. So many people try to bend their dog to what they think they should be like and not respect the animal for what it is. Chows are very individual creatures with their own independant nature and ideas and that is why we should choose them to live with us. We also have a spaniel and if you want a dog that jumps to do your bidding then get a spaniel or a gun dog of some sort but if you want a dog that walks its own path and shares its life with you and allows you the privaledge of being loved by it then a chow may be for you. Obedience is not what a chow is about.

Tess was more than a dog she was your the other side of your heart and soul. That is something wonderful to find and so painful to loose.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

You obviously got it right with Tess and you have the memories. Sometimes they hurt but you do have them and that is real.
I bet she is watching you - one of the Chows already in The Happy Hunting Ground will have shown her where the little hole in the sky is where she can peep down at you and see what you are doing. :)
I hope my Milly and Mabel can peep at us.
As for changing them - chows are special and they are different and I would not want to change one little thing about them - they are just perfect the way they are.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

I have so thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated reading not only of Tess, but also everyone's similar memories that you all have shared over the years. Since we got our first chow, Chia Pet, I have known that there will never be another "little person" for me, it will always be a chow. And, you learn pretty quickly that you are NOT going to change them, but I do have to admit that, over the years, I have changed to accommodate them. Not quite sure how that happened!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I bet you don't know when the changes happened! That is the wonder of them - they sort their little lives out just as they want them. :lol:
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

Truer words were never spoken, Judy! Somehow, day after day, in little, tiny increments, our chows have molded us into the big people they wanted us to be. I truly think we wasted a small fortune in puppy kindergarten and various obedience training, as the wrong people were in the ring... But, as I mentioned before, God Bless Tess and all of the others chows who have gone before her. We all have such wonderful memories of the way they have changed our lives for the better...
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes indeed........................... [:D]
kenlngo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kenlngo »

It is a beautiful story you have with your Chow. I am very touched. I hope she finds a few more years before she leaves.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I have never understood why people get any breed of dog or cat and then try to change them into something else. I have adored all my chows, each has been a chow, but in a different way, and I've learned to accomadate each and everyone and to respect them for who they were. And while I would love to have another collie, or a sammy some day, I'll always have a chow too.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Mmm! I would love another Great Dane but never will now. Fred and I know that these two precious girls of ours will be our last. Fred is 83 and I am 70 so by the time these girls have gone to The Happy Hunting Ground we will be to old to take on another so ours are doubly precious.
We are so grateful we have another pair of M's. :)
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I am posting this here because Buddy was the closest dog friend that Tess ever had. When we moved to Montana we stayed at Earl's guest ranch for about two weeks. When Bud saw Tess he fell in love, he was completely enthralled with her. He was five years younger than Tess and in his prime. Didn't matter that Tess wouldn't have much to do with him. Tess was spade. No action there. Tess was in his territory and Tess respected that. We stayed at Earl's hanger apartment for about 6 months & we watched Buddy many a time. Once Bud disappeared and we interrogated Tess of where Bud went. She looked at us with this stare " I didn't have Buddy watch." Earl picked up Buddy and didn't tell us. Mike drove up and down the Airport Road all the way to the Canadian Boarder & back to Hwy 93 north and south. Bud was an intact male at the time and was know to travel as much as ten miles in search of receptive female.

When our cabin was finished we became Buddy's God parents. We watched Buddy for Earl. & Tess & Bud had sleep overs. Buddy was now in Tess' territory. When Tess tired of Buddy we noticed he was relegated to the "back proch." Once though, Buddy stood up for Tess when a neighboring male Sammy came into our clearing. Bud wasn't real a fighter though he was Lab & Pit mix. He got on the rear end of the Sammy and put him in his place.

Earl found Buddy at the dump when he was just a pup. Earl loves Buddy so very much. He takes him everywhere. Earl is a builder and Bud always went with. Once Earl went into Home Depot and was taking along time according to Buddy. Buddy jumped out of the truck and went into Home Depot to find him. Buddy had this wonderful way of greeting those he loved. It was a big strange smile. To those who didn't know Bud it could have been taken as a snarl. He also had this strange growl when he was enjoying a belly rub.

Sometimes, I think people try to go too far to make a buck- two steps forward and one step back. Earl decided to employ a wrangler with her horses. It lasted this summer from spring into September. I am not sure exactly how it went financially. I have two different versions. I met her and she seemed to be concerned for Buddy. But when she was leaving to go back to her home in the mid-west, she backed into Buddy. Mike said he was "run over." Buddy couldn't walk for a short time after. A trip to the vet's & a vet chiropractor.

I usually stop to pet Buddy if he is out in front of Earl's. He goes thru his smile, the little growls when he goes on his back & belly rubs. I hadn't seen him for a while. I was coming back from town and he was walking slowly up our road. I stopped & went over to pet him. His eyes were dull. I talked to him and could tell he couldn't hear me. As Mike thought, Buddy is deaf. I tried to get him to "load up" in my Trooper, but he didn't seem interested. I don't think Buddy has much longer. He is around 15 years old. I know in my heart how much Earl will miss him. One of my memories of Buddy & Earl is from this spring. We have a parade. Mike & I were across the street. Earl (70 years old) & Buddy were walking down the street greeting people as the went. Earl bowlegged & Buddy bowlegged, they were a pair. My heart goes out to the memories.

When Tess passed (and what breaks our hearts), Tess still had the spark in her eyes, thru all her pain. She still held her tail up high and wagged it to high heaven. Buddy's eyes have lost that spark, tail held low. Buddy will be truely missed in our valley.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I've been thinking about Tess. Poor girl had a seizure the February before she passed. I woke up to scuttling on the loft floor. Tess had gone 12 feet across the loft. I woke up Mike with "Tess is having a seizure!" We got out of bed and went to her side, she was against the log railing. I had turned on the light to low. We were both gently holding her. Me cradling her head and Mike cradling her lower back. Seemed like the seizure went on forever, but it was only a couple of minutes at the most. She didn't loose her pee or poo. When she awoke from the seizure, she looked at us and her tail started wagging....she was so happy to see us holding her in the middle of the night. I kind of figured that maybe she was dehydrated and started reminding her to "drink." She always had fresh water, changed twice a day. She never had a seizure again.

Yes, I still miss my beautiful black Tess. I have been looking at the Pet Finder sites and all the beautiful black Chow girls are so very far away. Why? None up here in the north country where they belong.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

These chow chows are so much part of our lives aren't they? Your Tess now is still there in your daily thoughts - as our Milly and Mabel are and always will be.
Our granddaughter Jess came to see us the other day with her little daughter Hollie. She was sitting on the floor with Hollie and behind her was Mabel's special rug. Old Mabel used to go to sleep there and Harry the cat always used to snug up with her.
Suddenly Jess turned and stretched her hand out to stroke Mabel - she wasn't there and Jessica turned to me and a look of sadness flashed across her face - she said "I forgot she wasn't here".
We haven't moved her rug - Harry still goes to sleep on it and Maisie and Matilda go and sit on it sometimes.
Milly and Mabel were much loved. :)
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Its that space....the physical "not there-ness" that is so painful. When I lost my old cat I felt that the space should have been in was still there and it moved around as she would have done. I still think of her even though we are in a different house now.
I am sure another chow will appear sometime on its own in some way now that you are open to the idea. I feel like all our pets have found their path to us in their own ways. The times I have gone looking too hard for something in life it never works out so I have learnt to open my heart and make the opportunities and something will come to me. Not always the way I expected.
The blacks do better in the North with less sun they keep their beautiful glossy blackness. Izzie is looking like a glossy piece of coal these days from getting a whole new coat after the puppies and on account of us having no summer lol
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

After four long years of missing our dear Tess, we ready to let another Chow girl into our hearts. I keep looking at all the sites, all are so far away. I have my heart sent on an open faced, rough Chow. Would like a black like Tess, but all colors are good; an older Chow girl around 6, 7 or 8 years old. I think Tessy would approve. An alpha girl would be a good fit for us, since we gave a good life to Tess & she was extra alpha. This is another chapter in our lives. We are older, the kids are grown, so it would be just Mike, me and a Chow Chow girl. We have a paradise, 20 acres of woods, springs, dirt roads and trails, & no fences, a perfect place for a Chow that has had so much less. We are a forever Chow family. We promise forever love.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh brilliant - that is just what I have been wanting to hear. :D
You both have so much to give and will bring joy to a chow chow girl who needs love.
I hope you won't have to wait long to find her. [-o|
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Judy, I've been posting on some rescue sites. Hoping for the best. This may take some time. There doesn't seem to be many Chows up here. For some reason we are getting lots of pits - I think most of them are coming from the Rez down by Polson. You know the feeling where "you want something to happen NOW!" I have that feeling but have to keep my self in check. I really want a rescue. Tess made it so easy she just showed up - and never left.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

I have followed your posts about Tess and she has been such a wonderful girl. I am sure a chow girl will turn up for you - just keep looking. :D I know how you feel about wanting something to happen now - but I bet it will . :D
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I have been looking constantly for another Forever Chow - ALL OVER THE US INCLUDING JUST OVER THE BOARDER IN CANADA - Saturday was an emotional day for me. I felt like I was aimlessly bumping into walls. Couldn't get to sleep until early morning. Seems all the male Chows look like Tess. I remeber when Tess first came to us, Mike thought she was a male and had to check - lol. Tess had this "Chuck Conners" jaw.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Have you decided you really want another girl chow? Maybe a boy chow would be nice!¬ :)
I would have rather liked a boy chow but it has not turned out - i heard boy chows are very laid back and less feisty than girls.
Just a thought. :)
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Mike prefers girls. I am looking. I have contacted several rescue groups and also shelters in our area. I have to remind myself to be patient. I've spent hours on the computer searching. Sometimes I feel frustrated & sometimes sad. I guess when the right time comes things will fall into place - like it did with Tess - that was so easy....
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

SirChow, I agree with you too. Maybe I am trying to hard. I need to catch my breath. Tess just showed up. She needed us & we needed her. Will try to be patient.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes well I can understand that. When Milly died we were broken hearted and Fred just wanted another little girl.
It will work out and you will get your girly. :)