Tess & Me

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Tess & Me

Post by LEO's mum »

I've finally managed to gather enough strength to open this thread. I've read through it all in tears and I am glad I did. After loosing our first chow, Cha-cha, to bloat over 20 years ago, my mother still can't make herself own another. My folks have had several dogs since then, but she says she is just not ready for another chow. So, everyone's grieving time is different. We still talk and laugh about our first two chows teary eyed. I couldn't wait to own a chow when I grew up, but work hours kept me from acting upon it. After 18 years of wait, I finally managed to get LEO. My mother loves her to bits. It must be like having a granddaugher to her. Do share more of your Tess stories with us. I'd love to learn more about you and Tess.

Leonora & mum
chewfozz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chewfozz »

I am very sorry to hear Tess has cancer. You and your husband are very special people to welcome a stray into your life. It sounds like she is a wonderful companion. Many people on this site have been through the heartache of their chowdren having cancer. There are some wonderful people here on the forum who emotionally helped me when my Fozzie Bear passed away a month ago. It was very healing to read stories and chat with others. I hope you and Tess find peace.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

It's really hot here in Northwest Montana - of which I really love! Been working on the creek the last couple of days, taking out branches, moss, excess dirt. The water is cold - I wear my water-mocs. I started down there this afternoon. Was looking at my feet as I approched the forest. I missed the trail and found myself at Tess' grave. I paused there. There are blue bells blooming around her grave. I put my hand on her grave marker and said "Dear Tess." This was the first time I was brave enough to touch it. It gave me a calm feeling. I made my way to the trail and found Peanut (our deer - she gave birth this spring). I approached her to try to get a fly off her face, I gently brushed at it - she went back to grazing and I continued on the the creek. I was cleaning just above the waterfall and was looking at the other side of the bank. I found a patch of wild raspberries. Thank you Tess for these dear gifts today - through the grace of God go I.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

After about seven years, Mike (we) are going to have another Harley. When I met Mike 34 years ago he had a '48 Pan. We bought the land and he sacraficed the Harley so we could buy this property. He got a '51 Pan about 4 years after. Right before we moved up to Montana he again sacrificed his bike. Today he bought another Harley and next week we will be going down to Great Falls to pick it up. I have wonderful memories about both bikes. One memory that I reminded Mike about this afternoon: When he was going on a ride Tess would get so excited. She would bark and bounce around - acting like she could put her face in the wind with Mike. Our dear Tessy, she love the wild wind just like we did and do. I can just imagine her in a side-car, goggles on, black fur blowing in the wind.

I met my birthday this year without her. I didn't cry. I sat at her grave. There is a wild rose bush growing from underneath the rocks. The blue bells are turning into seeds. My wild flower garden was full of wild blue flax, but the deer have nibbled on the plants - no blooms but I am sure the roots are deep. No tears but the hurt is still there. The tears come at unexpected times. My dear girl - I loved her so. I still miss her with all my heart.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I know other people have said this before but I would like to thank you for all you have written. I always makes me sad when I read what you have written and it is partly because I feel your loss which is so hard to bear and partly because of my own losses. I think you help us all to feel it is OK to greive for the pets that have left us. Also I love to hear about Tess and her life with you. Your desriptions of the flowers and the creek are so real to me I am there with you in my mind - I grow blue flax in my garden too. Thank you for sharing and I wish that the pain could lessen some but there is always the fear of forgetting if the pain goes.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Spirit Bear

Peering into our bedroom in the early morning hours: Mom! Wake up! It's me Tess! I swear I could have touched it's paw with my hand.

Tess looked like a little black bear cub. Our neighbors told us repeatedly that we should put a bandanna around her neck during hunting season. Pretty pretty Tess.
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can imagine seeing the bear cub must of been so hard. (Willow looks similar to one too) :inlove:
Lori
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

It was much too hard for me to post anything on the 22nd, the anniversary of Tess's passing. I have been sad for most of September. I renewed the swath of her favorite grass on her grave. I walked up our creek as if Tess was walking with me. I walked the dirt road and paused beside the path leading to Walt's creek that she would take a drink before walking back on to our land is still there. I've gathered more wild blue flax and spread the seeds in different places around our clearing. Where I planted the seeds last year seem to be a favorite place for our deer to graze. I had only a couple of blooms there. Last year Tess & I walked at least 20 miles a week. Just up and down our road. I haven't walked like that this year, but I have hike big hikes. I hiked 11.6 miles on the Highline trail in Glacier. I would have traded those miles to walk with Tess. I hiked Therriault Pass trail today with Mike - 1.5 miles almost straight up the mountain - again I would trade those miles to walk with Tess. Our life style is changing. Mike bought a Harley a couple of months ago. Tess loved the sound of his bike. She would get so excited when he started his Harley in Norwalk. She would prance around, no fear, but excitement. I could just see her in a side care, black fur flying in the wind. We still talk of her. Still miss her with all our hearts. Chows are not dogs at all. They are a perfect breed of beings. They touch our hearts and souls.
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

You are so right!!
Chows are beings of a special kind and as such deserve reverence.
Not just ordinary dogs, that's for sure!
My chow babies are my heart and soul.
Mia
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Hold and love your chow - your beautiful "old ones" even those of you have young and fluffy furry beings. Days that you be without them will eventually come....will be. Bury your noses in their fur. Smell the Chow-smells so that you will remember them forever. Save gobs of their fur. Love them with all your heart. Be soft spoken when you speak to them. Be kind and remember that they are not truley dogs - they are ancient beings from times so long ago. They will love and protect you to the end. In return it is your charge & responsibility to understand them and protect them. My Tess - we loved her and she loved us. Here grave at the edge of the forest still shines brightly in the moonlight.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

You are so right - our girl died at the end of August and we remember every little thing about her. The joy is we now have a new little girl - she has been with us a week and we do bury our noses in her fur and tell her we love her. She will never replace Milly but she is her own little self - Matilda. :) Just as precious and just as loved.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

You are very right. I lost my first boy almost 15 years ago. He was only 2 years old. We weren't ready to lose our baby boy. :cry: I make sure to bury my nose in Tippsy and Jasper's fur and tell them how much I love them everyday. But I know, no matter how much time I have with them I'm not gonna be ready when the time comes that they aren't with me anymore.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

The wild blue flax are blooming on the little hill. The seeds that Tess & I gathered before she died did sprout last year but the deer chomped at them & left them stunted. This year the deer left them alone. We still miss our Tessy oh so much. When the wild blue flax seeds are ready to harvest at summer's end, I will scatter them around our clearing. Simple reminders of the days & nights with Tess.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I am glad they are blooming this year. It is amazing how little things remind you - sights, sounds smells - they all bring back , but by now hopefully for you, sweet memories. You will always miss Tess, as we will our precious Milly but as time goes on, the memories become sweeter. :)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Nice to see you post. I lost my Pippy of 14 years the day before Father's Day. A few of us here are grieving major losses. I am going out today to attend Pip's grave. I have a lovely urn to set down, and am collecting forget-me-not seeds to sew in. We put her on the edge of the pines at the farm, and that is where I'll likely be moving before too much longer. I'm not sure of your feelings, but I am letting as many folks know about some Chows in Indiana that are in need. Check out the Need Home area, if you are of a mind.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

When I go into the woods I seem to notice more. I've been concentrating on wild flowers. Last year I found wild raspberries & currents. This year I've found Cylipso Orchids, Pink Putsy Toes & others. I guess in the days of Tess I payed more attention to her; where she was going - too far over the creek - over to our neighbors for a visit....a quick prance back over the creek if there were any critters lurking.... Those are sweet memories.
samsonite23
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by samsonite23 »

Im so sorry. At least you have the memories. Memories and photos keep them alive.
I love my Chow!! He is my best friend!! I insured Skye with pet insurance and never regret it since!
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Wasn't allowed to post yesterday - something about being "black listed" - this is only a test to see if I can make a post.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Very strange indeed. Glad you got through...I saw your post after I got your PM, and checked the ban list.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

There is a reason why I still post here. I want anyone who is contemplating adopting, or getting a Chow to read Tess’ story. Tess had all the inherent Chow ways about her that one might read about; the assertiveness, the aggressiveness, the attitude. You notice I don’t say “owning.” Owning does not apply. Tess was dear to our family. She knew that we would protect her. She chose us. She protected us. I miss walking with her. I miss looking into her watchful golden eyes. I miss her sighs when she was frustrated at us; I miss her head buts when she demanded walks. She was demanding. I miss “cooking” with her. I miss her heavy paws coming up the stairs. I miss the little wines and the gentle bows she gave me. Bows are the Chow way to show respect. I miss the late nights with her. She was never caged, rarely leashed, yet she kept a tight “reign” upon us. If you choose a Chow make sure you know everything about the breed. Read & study the Chow Chow so you won’t be utterly surprised and unprepared. Chows deserve to be forever, your’s and you theirs.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Friday we went over to the North Fork of the Flathead to see the fall colors. We stopped at Trail Creek, the place where we last camped with Tess. The creek flows from the creek bed & from the sides of the creek. In the middle of the creek there is a fountain bubbling up from the bottom. I threw in a leaf to see it ride the gentle waters. Tess would watch the leaf as it went it's way. Tess sat on shore under the shade of a bush, I sat on a rock in the sun. I felt the warm sun on my face and remembered. I could feel her spirit. With eyes closed I could see her watching longingly as the leaf floated by. She’s been gone from us two years, and it still hurts.
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

Hi
You are amazing, take care of yourself and your memories. Your posts are so hard to read, I feel deeply for you.
SOunds like a beautiful spot where Tess's grave is.
Happy thoughts,
Hugo and Michelle
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Looking out the window at all the snow we have, I just had a fun memory of Tess. We were in Southern California and took a snow day up to the mountains. Mike, Matt, me & Tess. There were so many cars going up the mountain that we had to park along side of the road and climb a nice hill. Lots of snow! We found a sheet of cardboard, and we used it to go down a pretty gentle hill, even Tess, she loved it and would run back up the hill just to get on the cardboard to slide down the hill. The snow in some places was very deep, I stepped in an area almost up to my waist! Tess was covered with snow and went to a place where she didn't seem to mind - very very deep snow. Matt & I got cold so we left Mike and Tess up on the hill to go to the car to get warm. Mike said that it was peaceful sitting on top of the snowy hill with Tess. Just the two of them, taking in the whiteness of the snow. A very fine memory.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Indeed lovely memories of a lovely girl.
I womke up this morning and there was a deep frost on the ground and let our old Mabel out with the two youngsters. Matilda and Maisie gambolled around - enjoying it all. \:D/ \:D/
Mabel went to spend a penny then came back to sit by me. We both watched the yongsters. I got cold as I was still in my pyjamas and dressing gown so I went in. Mabel stayed for a while. I wondered if she was thinking of Milly as I was because Milly loved the snow and would toss it up in the air and catch it.
Memories are the most precious things we have I think. I still miss Milly but now I have to smile when I remember her jolly little nature. she was beautiful.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Me & Tess wrote:There is a reason why I still post here. I want anyone who is contemplating adopting, or getting a Chow to read Tess’ story. Tess had all the inherent Chow ways about her that one might read about; the assertiveness, the aggressiveness, the attitude. You notice I don’t say “owning.” Owning does not apply. Tess was dear to our family. She knew that we would protect her. She chose us. She protected us. I miss walking with her. I miss looking into her watchful golden eyes. I miss her sighs when she was frustrated at us; I miss her head buts when she demanded walks. She was demanding. I miss “cooking” with her. I miss her heavy paws coming up the stairs. I miss the little wines and the gentle bows she gave me. Bows are the Chow way to show respect. I miss the late nights with her. She was never caged, rarely leashed, yet she kept a tight “reign” upon us. If you choose a Chow make sure you know everything about the breed. Read & study the Chow Chow so you won’t be utterly surprised and unprepared. Chows deserve to be forever, your’s and you theirs.
Thank you for this. It's the best memorial you could give your beautiful Tess. Because they do indeed deserve nothing less than to be forever.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!