chewie the chow chow needs loving family

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

suzzane72
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: chewie the chow chow needs loving family

Post by suzzane72 »

Just an update on Chewie. Looks like our girl is going to California! We're very excited about her future home. Many thanks to all on this site and we will give an update when she flies (end of Sept.)
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm so glad to hear this. I was worried about Chewie. Please let us know how everything goes! I'd love to hear about her new home and how she adjusts!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
chakasmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chakasmom »

I am so happy for you and especially Chewie. I have been watching this thread and was worried for this cutie pie. Thank you for being vigilant for his well being.

chakasmom
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

this is great suzanne!!!!!!!!!!! we wish chewie all the best in his new home.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

great news :D I hope you'll keep us posted.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
suzzane72
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by suzzane72 »

Hello all! Chewie made it safely to her new home in California today. Her new family reports she's a little scared, but doing well. Thanks to everyone!
Abbiegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Abbiegirl »

So happy to hear Chewie has found a loving home...you should tell the new owners about this web site and maybe they could let us all know how Chewie is adjusting....this is great news.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm glad Chewie had a good trip. Hopefully she will soon be adjusted to her new home. Yes, it would be great to hear how she's doing now and then, if her new family would like to join!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
suzzane72
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by suzzane72 »

Chewie has settled in very quickly and happily with her new home and family. Best to all! Any new updates will be in community discussion so other chows in need of new families have the spotlight.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear she's doing well!
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
Cafe_Latte
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cafe_Latte »

Hi everyone, I'm Chewie's new owner here in California.
Just to bring everyone upto date, she is doing really well for being uprooted from Texas and transplanted
in the heart of Silicon Valley, California with only four days under her collar.

She's a character, actually a little princess that needs to learn how to be a Chow Chow.
Though I do have to say she's got aloof down pat.

Thanks for everyones concerns, suggestions and recommendations.
Stacy
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Stacy,
Congradulations and thank you for the update on Chewie.wishing you all the best and please keep us posted.
some pictures would be nice :wink:
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm glad Chewie has settled in for you. Please let us know how it continues to go!
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
MickChick
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MickChick »

I'm so happy Chewie found a new home; I've got a 5 year old chow girl rescue who doesn't like other girls very well, either, not to mention I'm pushing the envelope having a chow where I'm at (onthe restricted list), and still waiting to hear if I'll have a job come January (new administration coming in). Other than those few problems, I'd have offered her a home myself!

Cecelia
"To love what you do and feel that it matters - how could anything be more fun?" Katherine Graham
Cafe_Latte
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cafe_Latte »

Update:

Its been almost three months since adopting Chewie, and she is doing really well.
When she arrived, she acted more like a privileged child or a princess and seem to lack the senses of
being a dog, and kept her distance from my other two chow girls (as expected).

Though she still acts a little princess-like, but learning to be a dog - love chasing and barking at squirrels,
enjoys going on daily walks and runs, looks forward to getting home after being out or away from my other
two chow girls. And the other day we had three break through's:
1. she tried to entice the other two to play with her while laying on her back and being complete submissive.
2. learned to shake upon command
3. figured out that pig ears are chew threats and not a toy to throw around

Really happy that she's here.
Stacy
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Stacy,thats great to hear Chewie is doing well with you and your family :D
thank you for the update.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm so glad that Chewie is coming along so well. Thank you so much for the update!!
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
Cafe_Latte
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cafe_Latte »

Another update:

Chewie and my other dog (Chow Fun, aka Funny or Funny Bones or FunnyGrrl) are building a greater bond with one
another since Funny's sister (Chow Mein) died on March 04, 2009 at the age of 14.

Both have shown signs of missing their house/yard mate, but seem to be bouncing back.
Chewie is leading Funny to the dogpark and Funny is schooling Chewie about being a dog and how to act like dog too.
Chewie love going for rides in the car with no particular destination as long as she can see the world beyond her backyard.
But while at the dogpark, she acts like a princess, wonder around the dogpark acting as if she own the place and picks and
chooses which other dog she's going to interact with. Has determined that she dislike german shepards or others that show
or exhibit signs of dominance over her. More into the equality (like a liberated woman) on many fronts like size and general
personality, but cares less about looks, should see some of the mutts she hangs out with. LOL

What is it about with dirt, freshly dug dirt, Chewie has been extremely playful in the yard where we're doing some landscaping,
she been picking up tennis ball size dirty clods and tossing them around and the pouncing on them til they crumble and is happy
about flattening it or jump over the guideline string til it breaks and then jumping in and out of the trench. Or with her rawhide
chews, she plays hide and seek with them or tempt Funny to take it away, but hasn't figured out that she needs to keep the chew
closer to her rather than within Funny's reach, then looks so surprised when Funny actually takes and eats it.

Thats it for now
Stacy
Cafe_Latte
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cafe_Latte »

Latest news:

Chewie has a new playmate, Bruin!!! a 14mo old male from Rocket Dog Rescue.
He loves to romp and play, and just what Chewie needed.

Never new she'd play ball. Bruin loves balls, she loves to take it from him and he'll chase her for it.
So let the games begin.

Pict to follow in a day or so.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

\:D/ \:D/ Yeah! Sounds like they are going to be a great brother and sister pair!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

That's wonderful to hear. I'm sure Bruin has adopted a wonderful new forever family. Welcome to the board and I hope you and Bruin have alot of wonderful years together!
Nancy and Tai

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

CONGRATULATIONS!! That is such wonderful news!!!!!! We're all so happy for you and for Bruin! Can't wait to see pictures!!:)
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm so happy to hear Bruin has found such a great home!!
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
Cafe_Latte
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: chewie the chow chow

Post by Cafe_Latte »

Its been a year and two days since Chewie came to us.

Looking back at the day when she arrived, nervous and scared about being in a new place and with people and dogs that she didn't know.
She was a prissy little princess and didn't really know how to be a dog.
Funny little quirks that we noted were: Wouldn't walk on the lids or cover plates on the street or sidewalk, avoided puddles and didn't know how to chew or gnaw on bones and doesn't like people food. But now, she has become a real dog, hunts and chases birds/squirrels and some buttlerflys, can shake paw upon request, wrassles with Bruin and others dog at the dog park, gnaws bones like the best of them, barks/growls are strangers or unknown things/noises, and really loves chicken, beef, tuna and salmon and has learned to care for Chow Fun, and most recently milk foam (macchiato w/o espresso) and loves to swimming in Lake Tahoe and going for daily scootering(run).

She's still a little shy with people, and somewhat aloof with other dogs unless she has known them for several month (at the dog park).
This weekend we celebrated with her doing our usual with her and the other two (Bruin/Chow Fun).

Really glad that we were able to adopt her.
Thanks to all for the support.
Stacy
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I love reading the after parts of the "happy ever after" stories and this one is just great. What a fantastic family Chewie got for herself when she landed in California. I was just looking at the photo of the three of your chowkids and one hauman one as well in another thread. They look so happy and relaxed together. You are an advert for keeping more than one chow of the same s*x together. Thank you for giving these beautiful creatures the chance of a happy and healthy home. Your chowkids are beautiful. A little picture or two here would be nice. :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.