Sullivan

Remember our beloved Chow Chows that have passed on.

Moderator: chowadmin

pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Sullivan

Post by pfordeb »

I will owe you. If I could just get Forrest to log onto this site...
courtsey of Sweetpea
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Debbie,
is the place that Nippy is at near you?if it is maybe you could ask Forrest to take a ride there with you :wink:
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Unfortunately, it's about 3 hours away, so we couldn't accidently go there, but there are dogs around here. We went to a religious service today and I was crying during and after it and that got Forrest crying. I've just got to think harder about how to soften him up. Really, I'd prefer an older dog anyway. The boys are both 4 so hopefully they'll be around for a while, but now I know better than to think that. Charlie does have a heart murmur, so that increases his risk for congestive heart failure.
courtsey of Sweetpea
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

E-mail him the petfinder page?Tell him you understand he may not be ready but this poor Chow etc etc.
You never know.My dh sure as hell didn't want 5 dogs,but I showed him the pic of Sugarsnap and Divinity (that's what the shelter called them) he melted,and 24 hours later he had 2 puppies in his lap .
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

I'll keep plugging away on him. We have the same e-mail and he never looks at it. He only gets on the internet to check the bank balance. But I'm not giving up. I did have 3 dogs...none of which he claims he wanted.
courtsey of Sweetpea
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

Make the pic of Nippy your new background :wink:
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

We tried to get Gilbert to do zoomies today, and he barely made it 1/4 of the way around the living room before he lay down. He was trying, but it's almost like he feels guilty to have any fun. Charlie forgot he was supposed to be imitating Gilbert so he did play a little. We tried toys, getting him to chase, anything we could think of to perk him up and nothing worked. I thought after Sullivan growling at him everytime he tried to zoom, he could be free to have more fun, but maybe the growling was part of the fun. I'm going to have to speed up the Forrest softening techniques, so we can get Gilbert another unrequited love.
courtsey of Sweetpea
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Have you been able to take Gilbert and Charlie to the dog park since Sullivan passed? I was just wondering if the other dogs would perk him up :)
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Yes, we went to the dog park last Sunday. Gilbert did OK, but unfortunately, there were not too many dogs there when we went. There were no dogs in the small dog part so I kept Charlie with me, and unfortunately, in the part of the large dog park they have open right now there's a place in the fence Charlie can fit through so I have to keep him on a leash (he did try to escape once, fortunately, I was with him so I pulled him back.) Of course, I cried coming and going to the park because I was so used to Sullivan sticking her head between us on the front seat -- or even riding in the front seat with her dad. As I mentioned, she even tried to poke her head up front on that last ride.

I'm sorry I sound like I'm making excuses about everything, but I guess it's still so raw -- only 1-1/2 weeks.
courtsey of Sweetpea
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

it doesn't sound like your making excuses at all.its a very difficult thing to go thru for all parties involved.I know nothing seems the same without Sullivan :(
when my little girl Jade died at 7 yrs old from stomach cancer,Tiko and I were very sad without our girl.I cried constantly.until I got Chyna.she was just what I needed to ease my pain.of course she was a brat with Tiko for about a year and then it was true love. :inlove: I believe Chyna still morns for her Tiko.
Theo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Theo »

Deb
I've been through this, and time does heal all. You will never forget Sullivan...She will be in your heart forever. (Teddy is in mine)!
I'm thinking of you...
Jackie
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I'm so sorry to hear about Sullivan. My thoughts are with you.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Debbie: I've been so busy with Troy I missed this post. Good memories of Sullivan's spirit and her chowtitude will always be there. Good memories always are what I wish for you, Forrest and your fur family.

A new playmate is always good to take a chow's attention from their lose. After all Sullivan wouldn't want anyone to stop being happy because she's gone to the happy hunting ground! Hope things normalize soon and life is filled with more pleasurable days than sad ones.

Plus this may sound cliche but it IS always better to have loved and lost than to never have experienced the shared love at all! So in some strange way it is all good. IMHO :x [:D]
Jennifer & Sheena
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Thanks. I guess it's getting a little easier. I should have her ashes by now so I'll have to check on that. I bought a shadow box to put some reminders in.
courtsey of Sweetpea
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Awwww I'm so glad you bought the shadowbox. It really was theraputic for me and a tribute that will be with you always.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Oh, I don't know how I've missed this post for a such a long time. I'm so sorry. I've been thinking about you & Sullivan alot. Sorry the time had to come. As others say, Sullivan will be with you forever in your heart. Hug that, firmly, and treasure it.

You know, it's funny how chows make our lives a bit fuller....

Love always,
Leonora & mum
ChowLady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChowLady »

I am sorry about your loss of Sullivan, its ever so hard, its like loosing one of your children. It makes ones heart heavy and sad, but it does ease a little, remember the good times that you all had together. Sullivan is running free now and in no pain, and will always be with you as you carry sullivan in your heart.
I have lost two of my chow babies in 6 months the last on the 8th July, so my thoughts and prayers are with you as you go through this time as I know the feelings well.
Kathy
In Loving memory of Catbalou, Teisha, Tiara & Quoncha. .
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Hi Kathy. I'm sorry for your losses too. This has been a tough year for alot of people it seems.

In my bizzaro world. I just got a new job and the packet with the offer and all the insurance papers, etc. was in the mail today. Then I came inside and there was a message from the funeral home to pick up her ashes. They split them so Phil can have some. We are going to keep them in a nice box with a plaque we got from the funeral home.
courtsey of Sweetpea
mikkabear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mikkabear »

pfordeb, I'm sorry about your loss.
Time does heal, I know it must be hard right now.
Paulette
Natasha
and
Cue
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

I did go to Mingle With the Mutts today, Amanda, but I didn't get there until about 12:15 or so. I looked for you and even asked at the Stop the Suffering Booth if you'd stopped by. If you had a chance to go, I may have just missed you.

A couple weird things happened while I was there. First I talked to a woman I'd met at the Pet Loss Support group a few weeks ago, who also happened to be there. Then the really weird thing was, I was looking at Pit Bulls at their rescue booth, because as I've mentioned, they are like a second favorite type of dog for me (our niece and a friend rescue them). Anyway, I told the woman I was talking to that ideally I wanted another chow or chow mix. She said "Have you talked to Stop the Suffering, because they usually have chows." I told her we'd gotten Gilbert from them. She told me she's worked with Stop the Suffering and she'd pulled a chow named Kirby from another county's shelter a couple years ago. And yes, it was the same Gilbert Kirby Mac.

Forrest didn't have a hissy fit when I told him about some of the dogs there. Hm? That's a first step to me.
courtsey of Sweetpea
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

It sounds like a first step to me, too!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Zhuyos mom wrote:Debbie, my condolences to you and Forrest. Find peace in knowing Sullivan is romping around pain free with all our chows in the Glorious Happy Hunting Ground. I know my boy, Zhuyo, as well as, Roxana's Dakota, Victory's Darkwind, Missy's Precious, Nancy's Koda and all our lovely chows up above will be partying with Sullivan tonight toasting her love and devotion to you and Forrest.

Now you take care of yourself and tell Forrest to get some rest. Sullivan would want it that way.
Debbie,
I was catching up on a couple of thing that Lou had told me about and I just wanted you to know that I was so sorry to hear about Sullivan's passing. I wish I had the words to make you feel better or be able to tell you that it gets better, but in my own world, a year and a half after his passing, I still grieve terribly for my Koda. Give yourself time to grieve and let those good memories of Sullivan flood your body and mind. Having Koda brought back home helped me alot. So I was glad to hear you were going to get Sullivan's ashes back. Sullivan is running free now with my Sasha (who also had cancer) and Koda, Lou's Zhu, Darkwind and all the others who have crossed that bridge before us.
Hugs to all of you,
Nancy
Nancy and Tai

pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Check out my "Oh Gilbert" post. I think I put it in the General Section. I am enjoying her funny memories, but it will probably always make me sad to think about them too.
courtsey of Sweetpea
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

This is so weird that I got a notification to my old post today. Yesterday was the second anniversary of her death. So belated thanks to everyone. Forrest just left me on Tuesday too, so it's been a tough week. I have been taking Xanax, thankfully with no ill effects, except to help me calm down.

The past couple years have been very tough, including the death of Sullivan. So I apologize you haven't really heard from me. I'm hoping Forrest's departure will help quite frankly.
courtsey of Sweetpea
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Condolences on Forrest's death. I know you have seen him through many major illnesses, it could not have been easy. I hope you find peace.