WARNING-graphic photos/Berkley's eye surgery

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

WARNING-graphic photos/Berkley's eye surgery

Post by wallacethegreat »

I'm attaching pics of poor Berkley's entropion surgery today. It's not pretty and is very upsetting. The vet said he'd be able to see really well by tomorrow, but I'm waiting for the swelling to set in. She said I could put warm compresses on his eyes if he'd let me. I can tell he's still woozy from the surgery/anesthetic because his curly little tail is dragging in a straight line below his butt. She said to keep him inside for the next two days because his eyes aren't used to having the flood of sunlight in them. And, this is New Mexico after all. We have 335 days of sunshine each year.
Since he's been home this afternoon, I've noticed he's looking at things as though he's never seen them before. HE CAN SEE!!!!
No worries. He's in very good hands. It just looks HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!
He also got his arms/legs shaved so he looks like a damn poodle!
Laura Mac...oh, how I pray for my Berkley Boy!
Attachments
Can everybody LEAVE ME ALONE!!!
Can everybody LEAVE ME ALONE!!!
Berkley Right 052708.JPG (20.54 KiB) Viewed 2313 times
Oh, I HATE this woman!
Oh, I HATE this woman!
Berkley eyes 1 052708.JPG (35.28 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
Hey, Girl! I shaved my legs!
Hey, Girl! I shaved my legs!
Berkley Eyes Legs 2 052708.JPG (22.64 KiB) Viewed 2311 times
Last edited by wallacethegreat on Tue May 27, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: WARNING-graphic photos

Post by CoraP. »

Oh, poor Berkley. I know it's for his own good, but I still feel so sorry for him. I got thinking, maybe that is the reason for his growling and snapping. If you can't see good, of course you're going to be a lot more defensive just to be on the safe side. Just an idea. Lots of get well wishes coming Berkley's way from us!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

You should put Berkleys name after the heading otherwise people will think the warning, grapic photo's is the kind of stuff I post from Animals Asia and won't look.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I warned ya...Frankenchow!! Bear was pretty out of it and whimpered all night the first night. Luckily he bounced back in a day or two and I kept the e-collar off of him as long as I could watch him. His fur grew back pretty fast too. I'm sure Berkley will have no problem getting back to his handsome self...afterall he has Lucy to look after him. They are a cute couple. :x

I'm with Jeff...I almost didn't look.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Laura,we all know Berkleys in good hands.you are the BEST chow Mom.hope hes feeling better soon :)
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

I seen this one and almost didnt look. I was sure it was going to be abused chows or dogs of any kind. I finally decided to open it and scroll real quick to the last post to see if the responses sounded like something I could look at!
Poor Berkley, looks miserable but it'll be worth it.
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

He will be fine. He is lucky to have found you and had his surgery before he lost his vision. All mine have had this op and recovered quickly.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: WARNING-graphic photos/Berkley's eye surgery

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Berkeley will be fine, other chows here had the surgery. He looks enthusiastic, not sick at all.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: WARNING-graphic photos/Berkley's eye surgery

Post by Desi »

My Cheyenne had her eyes done too.The first couple of days she was a mess (mostly because of the collar) but she's much happier now that they don't bother her anymore.
I bet you'll see a big change in his attitude.