More Dog Whisperer

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowwoman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: More Dog Whisperer

Post by chowwoman »

Let me make it clear that every time a chow is disobedient, you don't roll him to the ground and yell at him. Every day training is with praise and treats, leash corrections, sometimes a stern "no" or other sound. You DO train them to obey out of love first, but if and when a chow makes a major aggressive act of some kind, I firmly believe you can't just say, "no no, baby" or they'll look at you like you're some kind of wimp. You have to make it VERY clear who the boss is right then and right there.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Re: More Dog Whisperer

Post by cheriekynb »

LOL, I tried that Sch noise on Sid when he was little. He thought it was a stupid noise and ignored me. EH EH, works way better, for Sid anyways, and as far as using 'correction' in the right way.. Melanie, you are SO right and the timing must be perfect! oh, and the reward system, no matter what that may be, is to be used the same exact amount of times as the 'correction'. If I learned anything, that's what I learned in basic obedience. I think Sid really does know I'm the boss and that I will protect him in any situation and if there is ever a time where he feels uncomfortable he will physically position himself between me and a fence or bench or even stand between my legs until the 'hazard' has passed; Sid will do that whether he's on or off leash.
Sid is FAR from perfect.. Let a bird or a cat come into his sight and he goes into FULL prey mode! He's an only child so I have absolutely no resources in changing that behavior. Melanie, any ideas?? ;)