Breath In...Breath Out!!! Thanksgivng Stress....

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Thanks Judy!!

If anyone is willing to post thier jellied homemade cranberry sauce recipes I would love to try them. That is the one dish I have never figured out how to make homemade. Everything else is, but was never even sure how to start. Other than cranberries then....

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Sorry Red - don't like Cranberry Sauce - cranberry capsules good for UTI's though but I have to wrap them up in cheese for M & M. :laughloud:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I just want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.thank you all for always being here to listen,help and support in good and bad times.
have a great day :D
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Breathless
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Breathless »

Happy Thanksgiving America. Feels like I can almost taste the Turkey and the stuffing...yummy. It's just a day like any other here in Germany. Never thought I would miss Thanksgiving... :(

P.S: I had pea soup for lunch...poor me :wink:
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

Menu here is:

Turkey Breast
Parsnips
Brussel Sprouts
White pearl onions
Mushrooms
Baby corn
Carrots

And some other vegetable I think I forgot about. Need to go check the kitchen!

Just white turkey meat and vegetables here.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

redangie24 wrote:Thanks Judy!!

If anyone is willing to post thier jellied homemade cranberry sauce recipes I would love to try them. That is the one dish I have never figured out how to make homemade. Everything else is, but was never even sure how to start. Other than cranberries then....

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!
I make my cranberry sauce this way. It's not jellied though. You mean they sell fresh cranberries in Germany? What for? To mix it with sauerkraut? Or is it only sold to Americans?

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/0 ... _sauce.php
Happy Thanksgiving!

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

To mix it with sauerkraut?

Now that would be my idea of Thanksgiving dinner, Jumbo Hot Dog with sauerkraut, Finger lickin good.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Breathless I did not know you made it here to Germany!!

We had our dinner and it was so darn good. they Sell cranberries at the nearby army post. (we are at a NATO base so they only get German food). I don't know if they sell them in town or not. They do sell the Turkey, stuffing, olives, potatoes, etc. I could not find any cranberry sauce there. but I got my Turkey from the Army post as well since they had fresh turkeys. I had no room in my freezer or oven for a turkey. The ovens here are very small. About 24 inches. We ordered a 30, but it has not made it to us yet.

Hey Jeff I would prefer a brat with sour kraut, onions, and some mustard. mmmmm.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

A chow was in the top 7
of the non-sporting
group of the dog show.
So Close!
courtsey of Sweetpea
mikkabear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mikkabear »

Ya'll it's easy to make cranberry sauce: just put 2 cups fresh cranberries in a small saucepan with (I think) 1/2 cup sugar and cook over low heat until cranberries burst. Remove from heat, cool for 5 minutes then add seasoning: 1 tsp fresh orange zest, or 1 tsp vanilla, or 1 Tbsp liquor (Grand Mariner excuse my spelling I've had a drink).
I never buy the stuff from the can. Yeah, you can go crazy and add fresh rosemary, pepper, cloves, etc any combo of flavors. But not saurcraut. Excuse the spelling again please.
Natasha
and
Cue
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Well it is official Nobody died from the Apple pie I made, Yet!!!!!!! \:D/
SweetPea Rocks!!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Thats the best news of the day =D= =D= Congratulations on your first sucessful Apple Pie!!! :D
Well, today was very nice and very busy....everyone came and ate and then ate somemore...Kearra and Kyra stayed outside for the day with my dh frying Turkey and the men hanging outside and the kids. THe weather has dropped here and the furkids loved it outside doing zoomies ALOT today.
The day went well with everyone finally leaving around 9:00 tonight.......then the girls went to the door again and I bumped Kyra into Kearra trying to get to the door...mind you BARELY bumped her and ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE.....CHOW FIGHT!!!!OMG let me tell ya.....I'm not really sure.....barely bumped her....but I had a hell of a time separating them.....my dh,daughter, her finance all of us had a hard time getting them to let go.......
Only one injury.....that I can see.....Kearra got Kyra just under her left eye with a spot of blood there and the eye watering some........OMG thats it for me.....separated them for a little while and they are fine with each other again :shock: :shock: Cooler weather, all the excitment around here...or Kyra about to go into heat??? All of the above......or because I bumped Kyra into Kearra......All I know is I'm ONE TIRED WOMAN!!!
Could of did without that kind of excitment at the end of one LONG day :roll:
Hope everyone else had a very nice Thanksgiving

Thanks Sweetpea!
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Actually my cousin ended up with a really good dinner...he really worked hard and I called him last night with a "how to make good stuffing...and he made great stuffing...my absolute favorite part of Tgiving dinner!

Alan called me a zillion times to make sure that I got there ok and came home in the dusting of snow ok...what gives with him...he moves and still worries about me? Anyhow he made himself stir fry and the "kids" got 1/2 a chicken breast each and Cheyenne made herself into a mud ball this morning so both got shampooed and showered.

Poor Red..I pm'd her the same recipe that all of you shared for cranberries..she was bombarded...but there is nothing like fresh cranberry sauce...oh so good!

Hope that everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!
Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

How did I miss this thread?

We do Thanksgiving at my Mom's house, although this year DH decided he didn't have to go with us and cose to eat at his brothers instead! :shock: I don't eat turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, or most traditional Thansgiving foods so my mom does Thanksgiving and I do Christmas-plus i love to decorate or it.

I feel jilted now that I've seen the cranberry sauce recipe-mom does that canned stuff. Not all that pleasing.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I like the jellied cranberries, but we also have fresh. Mom wasn't going to bring me any homemade applesauce (my all time favorite, because she only had a few small containers left. She ended up and brought one with my name on the label...lol. Brian went to take some when I was out of the room, but my mom mentioned they were mine and he actually put them down. :shock: There was more than enough food for a small army. Turkey Tetrazzini tonight.
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Ours was actually pretty nice. Besides the turkey breast and everything from cans (I do like canned cranberry sauce with the cranberries still in it), I made a strawberry pie from a frozen roll out pie crust and canned strawberry pie filling. Our son came over and we went to the dog park after we ate. Only a couple other dogs there but the kids had fun. Then we watched a Disney movie I'd gotten from the library -- Meet the Robinsons, pretty good.

Sorry to hear about the dog fight Vicki. Sullivan and Gilbert do get into it sometimes. Gilbert tries to get Sullivan to play with him, then she gets all growly and they fight. Gilbert did bite Sullivan once and drew blood. It's very scary, though their fights usually end with Gilbert on his back saying "I surrender." Hmm, sort of like the Wicked Witch telling Dorothy to surrender? One loud HEY from me and that gets them to stop fortunately. Everybody loves Charlie so he's usually hiding under the table when the siblings fight, looking at me like "Mom, do something."

Here's a nice thing one of my oldest friends sent me (from kindergarten and I'm 55 making that a 50 year friendship, YIKES!):

Let us give thanks for a bounty of people:*

Let us give thanks:
For generous friends with hearts as big as hubbards and smiles as
bright as their blossoms;
For feisty friends as tart as apples;
For continuous friends, who, like scallions and cucumbers, keep
reminding us that we've
had them;
For crotchety friends, as sour as rhubarb and as indestructible;
For handsome friends, who are as gorgeous as eggplants and as elegant
as a row of corn,
and the others, as plain as potatoes and as good for you;
For funny friends, who are as silly as Brussels sprouts and as amusing
as Jerusalem
artichokes, and serious friends, as complex as cauliflowers and as
intricate as onions;
For friends as unpretentious as cabbage, as subtle as summer squash,
as persistent as
parsley, as delightful as dill, as endless as zucchini, and who,
like parsnips, can be
counted on to see you through the winter;
For old friends, nodding like sunflowers in the evening-time, and
young friends coming on
as fast as radishes;
For loving friends, who wind around us like tendrils and hold us,
despite our blights, wilts
and witherings;
And, finally, for those friends now gone, like gardens past that have
been harvested, and
who fed us in their times that we might have life thereafter;
For all these we give thanks.
Max Coots, a Unitarian - Universalist minister from Canton, NY

I'm thankful for Sullivan being OK and for meeting all of you radishes who fit many of these catagories one way or another.
courtsey of Sweetpea
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I missed your post, Vicki. Fights are very unsettling. Even if they are getting along, your trust in them to keep the peace might still be a bit shaky (mine was). That feeling passes as well.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

I don't have two chows. One. Every evening my cat Phoebe gives Max my sweet little boy cat a few swipes. He doesn't fight back, he hisses. Phoebe gets impatient and jumps on him and knocks him over, a confused chow, not knowing what to do looks at me. I get the squirt gun and spray Phoebe, no blood yet, but she's feral and a fierce fighter. I wonder if a good water spray would break a chow fight?
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I wonder Karin.....might be something handy to have around.....just in case :-? Yelling and grabbin' doesn't work very well.....depending on how serious they are about the discussion :roll:

Thanks Sweetpea!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

I've had to intervene when my late chow Luna got into a rumble with the neighbourhood dogs. I just did what I had to do, My cat scares me though. She can jump 8 feet high. Amazing, at least chows stay on the ground.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe jumped 8 feet in the air once, We were walking in the woods next thing I see is Pekoe flying in the air. She stepped on a snake, What she thought was a stick all of a sudden moved under her paw.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage

Post by Guest »

Pekoe....you need your Ohio Cuz, Cheyenne to give you lessons.
Me, Missy prissy Cheyenne found one of those things { my Mom is totaly freaked by the "S" thing} at the lake and it was about 5 1/2 feet long...so I "throwed" it up in the air and caught it again and shook it real good and "throwed" it up again...but my Dad...you know the one that lives down the road now...he spoiled everything and took it away from me. It was big and black so I just thought it was JR with no leggies!!!!!

Cheyenne the Brave and the Beautiful
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Cheyenne, the Big the Brave and the Beautiful...here again..

"I aint no guest"...I am CHEYENNE...they still won't let my Mom be signed in automatically anymore since she became Sharon's Chows.....what's wrong..."we is great and good chows?"

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
Nita F.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nita F. »

Vicky,

I feel your pain! Didn't get to read your message until today because we also fed 25 people yesterday. Years ago we started the tradition of inviting hubby's and my families to our home for Thanksgiving. This year 2 nieces from Michigan and 1 niece stationed in San Diego and her fiance joined us. The Marine niece will be sent back to Iraq in January so this was her chance to visit us before she leaves.

We provided the smoked turkey breast, ham, and pork roast along with green beans, mandarin orange jello salad, sweet potato casserole, pumpkin pie and rolls. Others provided 3 pans of dressing, fruit salad, macaroni & cheese, peas, potato salad, brocolli casserole, steamed vegetables, etc. Then there were the desserts ranging from Mississippi Mud cake, Coconut cake, pecan pies, fluffy cheesecake, etc. Way too much food! We provided to-go boxes and begged everyone to fill them up. Unfortunately there are still lots of leftovers, but we won't have to cook for several days.

The cats got corraled in the bedroom, but Mimi visited everyone until we ate. She wanted to check out all the food in the kitchen and walking in front of people. So she got put in the room with the cats until the eating was finished. She had a great time playing with the nephews and great nephew. I think she was jealous of me holding my 4 week old great niece but never did more than smell her. Mimi was so tired from all the playing and visiting she conked out in the middle of the kitchen while we were cleaning up afterwards.

Hope you had as much fun as wel did!

Nita
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Sullivan used to be a jumper. She liked to hang out on top of our sofas, like a cat. Sometimes I worry all her acrobatics resulted in her present condition (well, not the cancer, but some of the other leg problems).

We also get snakes in our yard because we live behind a creek. Gilbert is the only one who got hold of one, and, like everything else, scared him to death (like cats, Sullivan, those big blow up Christmas decorations, the dark, loud noises, etc. etc.).
courtsey of Sweetpea