cc.org Book CLub

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I got my copy of Rescuing Sprite yesterday. After running the Chowlings, I sat down figured I would read a couple of chapters before starting dinner...I couldn't put the book down and I was in tears while reading and making dinner. I finished reading it before going to bed. My furkids got some big hugs and kisses last night.

It's a wonderful story of love but it is also about how much Mark bonded with Sprite and the pain of having to deal with knowing when to let go.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

:D got something from my Christmas list - Marley & Me - just started it tonight...I re-read a couple of the reviews, hope it's not at much of a tear jerker as Rescuing Sprite but I will be prepared...
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Marley and me made me angry and sad, I Sprite was more of a tear jerker. My favorite so far is Amazing Gracie

Dogdad
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I BAWLED reading Marley and Me. Heaving, shaking, bawling. My husband came home and asked "what's wrong??" and I just pointed to my book and he then proceeded to roll his eyes at me and leave! :roll:
ImageImageImage
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

I just heard of another one today my friend said she could not put down-- got it for Christmas and already finished it! The title is something like "lost and found." I am going to search for it!
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Chow Chow Mama wrote:I BAWLED reading Marley and Me. Heaving, shaking, bawling. My husband came home and asked "what's wrong??" and I just pointed to my book and he then proceeded to roll his eyes at me and leave! :roll:
I finished Marley & Me and did shed some tears...but Rescuing Sprite was the absolute tear jerker for me...I started crying midway and didn't stop until I completed it.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Has anyone heard about this book?
http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/290350
Beautiful Joe: An Autobiography appeared in 1894. It's the story about a rescued dog. By 1939, it had sold 7 million copies in more than 10 languages. Around 1914, Margaret Marshall Saunders settled to Toronto and went on to write more than two dozen books. She died in 1947, at 85.

I'll see if it's available at Chapters

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

kingalls

Post by kingalls »

threedogjeep wrote:I just heard of another one today my friend said she could not put down-- got it for Christmas and already finished it! The title is something like "lost and found." I am going to search for it!
Lucky me! Got that from DH this morning for my birthday! I have alot of things to do today so I best not start reading until tonight :lol:

Post by Guest »

Happy Birthday!
Karin
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Yes, Happy Birthday!
ImageImageImage
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

:postit-redface: Thank you for the birthday wishes :D
Just spending the day taking down the Christmas decorations and letting Mr. N and Shiloh in/out, in/out, in/out :roll: of the house.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

All I have been doing today is letting Holden and Hannah in/out in/out! :lol: I must say, at least she likes going outside... Even in the rain and snow.
ImageImageImage
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

Happy YOUR DAY!!! And let us know how the book is!
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Karen, I hope you had a great b-day!

Hubby suprosed me and got me The Land of the Chows and it arrived a few days ago. On the back it says, the author based his observations of his three chows in the mid-90's. I've read a little bit of it already and I like it so far, it kind of has a Lord of the Rings feel to me. It seems like his chows must've been red because they've all been described as red so far! :D

I alos picked up Rescuing Sprite last week and I'm really looking forward to reading it.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

happy belated birthday Karen

David
kingalls

Re: cc.org Book CLub

Post by kingalls »

Finished "Lost & Found" a couple of evenings ago...I got a slow start on it but toward the end I couldn't put it down. It's a good story but my favorites so far are Rescuing Sprint and Marley & Me because they are true stories. I'm going to look for Amazing Grace, Beautiful Joe, and Land of The Chows. I've come into a favorite evening schedule - DH goes to bed...I stay up with a cup of hot tea and read a chapter or two from a book while my two Chowlings settle down into la-la land. My daughter got me a funny book named "The Dangerous Book for Dogs" by Rex & Sparky (don't ever let your Chowling read this one!) There is one chapter that should be edited..."Landmark Canine Performances in Cinema"...it needs to add our starlet, Miss Pooh Bear for her show-butt performance :wink:
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Tehehe I have the Dangerous Book for Dogs too, I got it at Target a while ago because it was on sale. I've read bits and pieces and it is so super cute.

I've started Rescuing Sprite, and the locations are right near me. I drive through those areas on my way to work. The Ferry is super scary, I have never gotten on it and never will. :D Of course normal people love it, but I am so paranoid and drive around the Potomac the long way. :lol: :lol: The way I drive is also very scenic and quiet. :oops:

Has anyone read "the Dogs Who Found Me?" (also a true story). I mentioned it last year and quote from it quite a bit. That is my favorite book so far, but be ready to cry. I'm about halfway through Rescuing Sprite and I still like the Dogs Who Found Me better. I also have Ken Foster's new book but haven't gotten to read it yet. Amazing Grace was a Christmas present and it looks great but I haven't had a chance to read that yet either.

Karen, I can't wait to hear your review of Beautiful Joe.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I was going to order Beautiful Joe from amazon,but I read an excerpt and it was too sad.I found myself getting
very depressed from just a few pages.I would love to hear someone elses review of it.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Did anyone ever read that Chow book that I forgot who ordered around Christmas time. I think some others ordered it also. It looked like a fantasy about Chows or a Sci-fi about Chows, I forgot the name
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

chowfrnd88 wrote: Has anyone read "the Dogs Who Found Me?" (also a true story). I mentioned it last year and quote from it quite a bit. That is my favorite book so far, but be ready to cry.
I just put it on hold at the library. Will let you know what I think :)
ImageImageImage
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Jeff, I started that one, but it's like family story time with that one so it's slow going. Hubby is interested in it too so we've been taking turns reading it to each other, which only happens wehn we are both pretty free so it's hard to do on a regular basis. It's pretty good so far but I'm not at all far into it yet.

Oh yay chow chow mama, yes let me know what you think. I think that it will hit home a lot with those on the forum involved with rescue in one way or another. There's a part from the book about how important the people who find the dogs are to the dogs and the people who end up with the dogs. Since my friends literally found Spesh on the street, I thought this fit perfectly. Last Christmas I made them a frame with three pics of Special and that passage quoted from the book and they loved it.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I finally finished Rescuing Sprite a few days ago, it was hard to get through. I had to put it down a couple of times. Karen wasn't kidding, I cried from about page 50 onward. :(

I started Amazing Gracie last night and I'm on chapter two or three, I LOVE it so far.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I went a little crazy on Amazon the other night :roll: ...I've got the following coming in:

Amazing Gracie: A Dog's Tale
Beautiful Joe A Dog's Own Story
A Dog Year: Twelve Months, Four Dogs, and Me
The Dogs Who Found Me: What I've Learned from Pets Who Were Left Behind
From Baghdad, With Love: A Marine, the War, and a Dog Named Lava

...reviews to follow
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I read from Baghdad with Love. It was good.
ImageImageImage
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Well I just found this thread. I've read From Baghdad With Love and liked it. I was wanting to read some of these others but so much talk about crying has me a bit concerned so I have a question. I am still very much a walking open wound over having to have my Kody pts this past July so I don't want to read anything about doing that. It haunts me. Are any of the books not about that? Then again maybe reading about that would help me come to terms with it. I don't know. Are any of the books 'happy' tears?
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)