Gizmo dies while at vet being groomed

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Mika's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mika's Mom »

Deanski,

We all feel for your loss. You and your family will be in our prayers. Praying you will find solice and eventually let a new Chowling warm your heart.

Blessings,
Sarah, Scott & Mika
Ottawa, ON
NAPUUNOA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NAPUUNOA »

Deanski,

I am a new member as well ...

Let me tell you I lost my baby girl Ebony on the 28th, due to stomach cancer. She was only 11 1/2 years young, and it was very sudden.

I have been on and off this site for two days ...

The people here are so very nice, and I find it a great comfort to come here and just read the posts ...

I am so sorry for Gizmo, and I understand how your older dog misses your Gizmo.

I have a cat "meow" (actually I have three), and she is the elder of the house at 14 years old. She and Ebony were (and still are) the best of friends. Meow still looks for every day ... it breaks my heart as well as hers. They just know.

I have yet to go to the memorial section of this site, because I am not ready ... but I know I will.

Actually one of my other cats is called Gizmo! So I love the name :)! Please know I feel your pain, as do many people here.

I have thanked them all for their very kind words, and hope to share my love with another chow chow some day.

My best to you and yours ...

Kat
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Is this the same Gizmo that we were talking about a few years ago when I was saying how great the name Gizmo is. I think Lou remembers. I only brought this up becouse you seem to know people from the past.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

I'm at a lost for words...my heart is achin' for your lost Gizmo. My Sheena who is six years old still refuses to be groomed or bathed by anyone and I won't place her under anesthesia for a cleaning even though she has had 2 previous surgeries. She almost didn't survive the last surgery when she got spayed at 3.5 years old. Sounds like the amount of anesthesia was the culprit. Sheena had also vomited badly but pulled through.

Some chows or people for that matter are more sensitive to chemicals than others. Each successive exposure to one particular anesthesia can sometimes create an allergy or excessive reaction to it. I know 'cause I'm chemically sensitive and have personally become allergic to different anesthesias and medicines after only the second exposure and sometimes just the first exposure does it for me.

I will also light a candle for your family and dear Gizmo tonight. And that a new chowling will bring peace and love to you in the near future.
Jennifer & Sheena
Igor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Igor »

So sorry for you loss. We understand what a difficult time you have. Our hearts and thoughts are with you.
Mishka and his family
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine. . .I'll light a candle to help light Gizmo's way to the Rainbow Bridge tonight when I get home.
Lori
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

The loss of a chowkid touches all of us.
I'm so very sorry that Gizmo is gone. I'll be thinking of you and your last journey with Gizmo, to put him to rest.

Sherill
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I'm so very sorry for your loss. What a horrible shock. I'll keep you and Gizmo in my prayers.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It's the stillness in the house that is so tough. Please take care of yourselves.
Layla & Millie
Thank you Elodie!
Deanski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Deanski »

Jeff&Peks wrote:Is this the same Gizmo that we were talking about a few years ago when I was saying how great the name Gizmo is. I think Lou remembers. I only brought this up becouse you seem to know people from the past.
Could very well may be. I used to post on the old forum or website years ago.

Deanski
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I too am very sorry for your loss. Run free sweet Gizmo.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I'm so very sorry that this has happened. I looked at Monica's Chow Chow site - is this the same Gizmo in the wok? It just is so sad to know that the little Gizmo is no longer with us. I know you must be so heartbroken!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Deanski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Deanski »

kingalls wrote:I'm so very sorry that this has happened. I looked at Monica's Chow Chow site - is this the same Gizmo in the wok? It just is so sad to know that the little Gizmo is no longer with us. I know you must be so heartbroken!
Yes that is Gizmo. Kim took that picture of him and still uses it on her website.

It's so difficult now this evening as I sit here wating for him to hit me with his paw. It was his way to get me to stop working on the laptop in the kitchen and to play with him or if he wanted something to eat.

He was such a sweet Chow. He would sit as my wife held him as he rested his snout to get "Oh the little boy" loving from her. She too is so upset and is also having difficulties in accepting the loss as I sit here and loose it.

Just last night I was stroking him as he was laying on his side as he snorted away. And today again I stroked him, but with nothing in reply as he lay on the vet's table in the back. No snorting when I scratched his ears, no licking. Just his frail body lay there with his tongue hanging out of his mouth in an unnatural way. His coat fully groomed and soft. But that didn't matter. No more slobbering the water bowl, no begging, no snorting or "Oh the little boy" anymore.

My wife went around our condo complex to start informing other dog owners. Bogie and Duncan mom and dad both also lost it as they feel Gizmo as their own as well. Other owners also very upset to Gizmo's passing. Our downstairs neighbor with Pete will be devistated as he was Gizmos friend when they were puppies. Bogie and Duncan will miss my big boy. One other puppy, Chomper, a bulldog was Gizmo's friend as well and they too will be shocked.

I miss you my big boy. No one to hit me, or beg or play. Boohsa is old and doesn't understand at 13 years old.

I dread tomorrow, but I will NEVER leave my boy and follow every step until the end when I bring his remains home.

I promisd that I'd take him to Cove Island Beach one day along with Boosha once it was warm. I'm sorry big boy that I didn't have the chance and for that I carry with me forever.

It's late and no one is hitting me. No one is out on the deck. It's a very lonely night here without you.

The new couch you were not supposed to lay on is empty. The comforter you would lay on is still waiting for you. The couch is calling, but no one answers.

The deck door still has your little snot-nose marks on it and will be there for some time as we do not have the heart to remove them.

It's later and your not here to get me to go upstairs.

Gizmo, I should have listen to you and your reaction going to the vet and when in the vet office on how you wanted to leave.

The last I saw my Gizmo was when the vet tech was taking him to the back as I helped with praise to get him there. Now I trully regreat the effort and have this last rememerance of him before he died.

Thank all of you for your kind words, prayers and candle lighting for my little boy.

With deepest sadness,
Deanski
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

The moment I read Jack-Jack, I knew it was you and Gizmo, who is cc.org's original, and one and only, Gizmo. My deepest condolences. What a tragedy. Know we are all here for you.

ImageImage
Deanski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Deanski »

Lou,

Thank you for posting those pictures. That is Gizmo and Boosha on the one shot when we first got him.

It brings tears to my eyes when I see these, but it's also wonderful that others remeber him back when it was the old forum.

I still cannot find Jack-Jack's story from the old forum. Worse yet, after remodeling our condo, I cannot find Jack's picture whe he won second place for "most unlickly to succeed" at Adopt-A-Dog in Greenwich back in 93. I'm trying to contact the photographer for that event to see if I can obtain a copy.

Boosha went through a Lamectomy a few yars ago. That was really tuff to overcome. I'll find the pics of her shaved back with all the staples one day and post those.

This was my good boy.

Another thing my wife also misses is that he used to "park" his tongue on her arm or wherever.

Thanks for the pics!

Deanski
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I know you guys are going thru hell right now and missing your Gizmo.
I hope I am not being inappropriate but here is Monica's link when you are ready...God bless...

http://groups.msn.com/MonicasChowChowSi ... lbumlist=2
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

I am soooo sorry to hear of your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers and I will light a candle for you and to help Gizmo find his way. Many blessings and hugs
~ Sally
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

This really saddens me, yes I remember Gizmo, and always loved him so much, I have kept his baby photos and will do a really nice layout of him for you,
He was so young, I am so very very sorry, for your loss, everytime I read of a loss of a chow I feel that I am loosing one of my babies.
He at the rainbow bridge now with all my babies, and everyone elses.
Keep strong, and you will never forget
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

Boggled
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boggled »

I am so sorry for your loss, no one should have to go that way. Gizmo is beautiful -
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I am so sorry to hear about your gizmo, what a beauty. It is scary to think that something can happen so quickly. I worry everytime Buttes has been under. He is about the same age as Gizmo, almost three, even same color.

I am really sorry for your loss, but thank you for posting to keep everyone aware of certain dangers.

My prayers are with you.
SweetPea Rocks!!
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

what a horrible terrible thing , i am so sad on reading this, i don't know what to say . except

i am so sorry for Gizmo , and you

m
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

oh my. i am reading this through many tears. i am so sorry. words cannot take away any grief that you are feeling. we feel it with you. please do not put any blame on yourself. gizmo doesnt.
he is running free with all of our lost loved ones now.
we are here for you. i will ligth a candle tonight for him. god bless you and your family.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

I am so sorry for your loss! It's so sad to hear these types of things happen especially when a Vet is involved!! I too, take Sid to the Vet to be groomed. The groomer is actually a licensed beautician who went to professional grooming schools for dogs. She told me that she had to actually groom "aggressive" dogs and some of them were Chows. I went to the Vet today to pick up some more 3V Caps and mentioned what happened to the groomer (she works the front desk too).. She and one of the Vet Techs actually GASPED when I told them the story!! Colleen (the groomer) assured me that they would never have to sedate Sid to be groomed. I'm so happy with my Vet's office! I had a Chow about 10 or so years ago and actually went to the same Vet. After reading some of these posts I realize that I am very lucky to have a Vet that understands a Chow!
Deanski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Deanski »

Today was my last time to see my boy.

I gave him kisses and what my wife would do with him calling it "Oh the little boy" where she would hug him, letting his snout rest on her shoulder. I picked him up one last time and gave him "Oh the little boy" for my wife. It was so tuff to do.

I rubbed his belly as I did the previous night.

Now Gizmo is home. We miss you! :cry:

Thank all of you for the kind words and pictures.

Deanski
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Deanski,

I lost my Otono about a year ago, The pain is still here, a bit less but still with me. Everytime I read of a death, the pain and tears comes back. Although Gizmo is no longer with you physically, He will always be with you in your and your wife's heart. Honor his life by going on, you can never replace him or the love you had, but in time, you can love another chow and give him or her a life as wonderful as you gave Gizmo.

David