A Dog's Purpose, from a 4-year-old

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

A Dog's Purpose, from a 4-year-old

Post by fillyok »

I received this in an email...thought it was too nice not to pass along. It's a tear-jerker.

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for four-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on.
Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion.

We sat together for a while after Belker's death,wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?" The four-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn stuff like:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.

Take naps.

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Eat with gusto and enthusiasm. Stop when you have had enough.

Be loyal. Never pretend to be something you're not.

If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

That is so beautiful and so true
ImageImageImage
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

AWWWW Out Of The Mouths Of Babes', and so true

Thanks Sweetpea!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

cute but too articulate for a 4 year old
Last edited by Dogdad on Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vic-O
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Vic-O »

Er, yes...certainly too articulate for a year old, but just about right for a 4 year old whose parents have obviously prepared him for and talked to him about love and loss and whatnot. My 2 year old comes up with some pretty profound stuff, most of it is extrapolated from his Daddy's philosophical ravings but is original and insightful nonetheless. At 4, I would certainly expect he would be capable of saying something like this, though he probably would be bawling his eyes out instead (he already LOVES Hudson so much).
Anyway, just had to respond for some reason. Carry on.
-Victoria
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

That is just beautiful! :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
CloudeSkie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CloudeSkie »

the effects of "good breeding" and proper education.... I send my kudos to the parents of the child.

IMHO, Maturity can be present if we are exposed or have been attentive enough to different things around us... even the complex things in the world can be unraveled by a simple yet understanding mind. :)
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

That was beautiful! And actually my 4 year old cousin has said something like that already but it was when him mom had to have one of their cats put down... Seriously if you talk to him it sounds like you're talkin' to a little adult. :lol: :lol: It's really great.

Jess
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

Kids who are raised without baby talk or being talked down to sound like little adults. Soph can carry on a whole conversation and she's just two. She still mixes up some words and has her innocence though. The other night she caught the moon and put it in her pocket. I think it their innocence in thinking that makes them able to see things much clearer than adults do.

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!