General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Help with Riley's carpet fixation!!!

Post by dchernandez »

Hello all,
We have a problem with Riley. He has picked a new and expensive habit. For some sort of reason he has decided to pick on my carpet. Always the same spot. He scratches it to the point where he has managed to lift the carpet up and destroyed about a three square foot area.
We have tried blocking the area by putting a fence up and he has managed to knock down the fence everytime. No idea what to do about it. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks everyone :(
Claudia & Riley
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

This is so funny, Sid did the exact same thing! I finally took a self sticky floor tile and stuck it to the spot he kept digging at and he left the spot alone and doesn't do it any where else. :)
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

I've noticed Ginger doing that. It seems like she is trying to fluff the carpet up before laying down. Is there a reason for it? Have you tried using a rug just to protect the carpet from more damage?
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Cheyenne was doing that for awhile but did no damage, however, I have noted that she will scratch and fluff up her spot if she is slightly agitated which is very rarely now.

Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

Sid actually ate a hole in the carpet! weird Chow. :roll:
Last edited by cheriekynb on Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gdemott
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gdemott »

we go through sheets on our bed about one a month as Griz needs to "fluff" where he lays. not so bad on his own bed but his nails get caught on our sheets. And yes i nkow its bad to let the dog on the bed but who can resist those cute eyes and tail beckoning for a petting when your getting ready for work?
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

my chow digs, on the wall to wall he will dig with one foot and then the other, usually very leasuirely .. dig dig dig, its the same way he digs outside in the yard , he digs a hole , i fill it up with good dirt and plant grass, some day we will get the while front yard reworked that-a-way ..

i suggest in the chosen digging spot on the carpet you get a nice' chow digging on 'rug to put there , in the bedroom there is one of those fake lambswool ones , he will come in from the hardwood floors in the office ,, and dig,, dig dig dig , then when done digging on the lambswool go back to the office on the hard wood to lay down..
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

In the cooler north, Chows can sense when rodents move in under the floor boards.
dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

We tried putting a rug over it but he still manages to move the rug out of the way and keeps going for the carpet. Last night I got home and he had managed to lift the carpet about three feet off and the insulation is a mess....arghhhh
Claudia & Riley
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Is he stomping around on the spot grunting or is he actually digging in the one spot, if he is digging in one spot and trying to rip it up I agree with Kawani there is something there, maybe not under the rug but under the house. you have had Riley for awhile so if this is new I think a critter has moved in.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

I have to agree, if this is new you probably have an univited house guest that's disturbing Riley. Is this spot up against a wall or in the middle of the floor?
paxtoneaton
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Help with Riley's carpet fixation!!!

Post by paxtoneaton »

Let Riley be at her own place, if the carpet is getting dirty and all that, just call some chemdry rapid dry working men and they will make it new again.