Arthritis supplements often lack key ingredient

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Arthritis supplements often lack key ingredient

Post by Sylvia »

I know some of you give your dogs supplements so I thought I'd post this.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18027830/
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

thank you, that is a great article,but I wish they listed all the brands they tested.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Jacqui,

I'm with you! I went to the website, but there is a membership fee. I don't think I would use the website but that one time?? So, I didn't shell out the money.
Anyway, I order a several things from Puritan's Pride, I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask a few questions.

Regulations for suppliments is a two-edged sword...
there is a push to have vitamins in this country by the pharmacuetical companies to control and "regulate" suppliments, but if that happens, as it has in some other countries, many vitamins would be available by precription only. I'm not in favor of regulations. I think we consumers need to be a bit more pro-active, asking the right questions.

Thanks Sylvia for bringing this subject to the table! :wink:
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
sauerka
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sauerka »

I have a friend with a subscription who was good enough to send the information to me (even though he is a cat person). Only five pet product were tested.

These pet supplements failed testing:
- Joint Max® Regular Strength — Contained only 2.1% of its claimed chondroitin.
- Nutri Vet® Nutritionals, Hip & Joint Soft Chews — Contained less than 1% of its claimed chondroitin and only 47.2% of its glucosamine.

These pet supplements passed the testing:
- Cosequin® (250 mg glucosamine HCl and 200 mg chondroitin sulfate per capsule, 2 per day)*
Ingredients
- GLC® 1000 Glucosamine + Chondroitin Maximum Bioavailable Canine Pure Powder Concentrate, (2,280 mg of glucosamine [HCl, sulfate, potassium and NAG] and 760 mg chondroitin sulfate per 3.5 g)*
Ingredients
- GLC® 5500 mg Glucosamine + Chondroitin Complex, Equine Powder Concentrate (3,600 mg glucosamine[HCl, sulfate, potassium, NAG] and 1,200 mg chondroitin sulfate per 5.5 g)*
Ingredients

"Why are there so many chondroitin products with quality problems? Some manufacturers may rely non-specific tests, such as the "CPC (cetyl pyridinium chloride) titration method" or “size-exclusion chromatography method” when evaluating chondroitin. These tests can easily be tricked by other compounds that are not chondroitin. Real chondroitin is relatively expensive. An ingredient supplier might sell lower priced "chondroitin" to which compounds have been added to fool these tests. A manufacturer looking to cut corners might buy lower cost material "certified" with a non-specific test and, as a result, end up making products with no or little real chondroitin. ConsumerLab.com evaluated chondroitin products using a more specific, validated method known as the "enzymatic HPLC method". For each product that failed to contain its listed chondroitin, re-testing was performed in a second independent laboratory for confirmation."
Boggled
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boggled »

Thanks for that info, My pug will benefit from that :D
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

thank you,that is helpful as I am starting chyna on cosequin and I feel better knowing it has what its suppose to have in it.
jacqui