General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jessi
Rank 0
Rank 0

VISIT

Post by Jessi »

Hi to everybody!
We are flying back to Canada and taking Jessica to see her Mom and siblings.I am wondering, how they going to react?
Are they going to recognize each other,or we have to be prepared for a quarreling? We are staying for some time there.
Please if You can reassure me,I am worried!
Thanks
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I am sure they will be fine, just introduce them in neutral territory like a park or away from their house and they should be fine. good luck
Jessi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jessi »

Thank You! I hope You are right!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

It depends greatly on the temperament of the dogs involved. If they have good temperaments and have not been away from each other too long, it shouldn't be a problem.

I have done this before, I went to a siblings home with her mother and sister. I did let the mother go in the house first, as her temperament was the best you could ever hope for in a Chow, she ran up to the daughter and it was clear that she did not recognize her at first, they had been apart for 5 months. The mother is a real in your face kinda dog and she did get right in the daughters face, but she just turned her head and side stepped her, no aggressive behaviour. After a few minutes you could tell the daughter figured out who she was and started wagging her tail. Then I introduced the sister, that took even less time to figure out. There was a little sibling rivalry between the two daughters, but no aggressive behaviour to speak of.

All of that could have been a lot different if they all had not had good temperaments, so remember that is important. If you have a temperament problem with any of them, I would introduce them slowly and one at a time.

Oh, and a testament to the temperament in my dogs, I was the first to go in the house and without her owners being with her, I walked right up to her, she did growl, and I talked to her and was able to pet her immediately. Of course she figured out who I was after a few minutes too.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!