General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

raisinails
Rank 0
Rank 0

HELP !!!!!!!

Post by raisinails »

Radha is having a nosebleed!
She woke up from sleep sneezed and had blood spatter all over the floor! i Cannot bear to sleep! She is panicking herself
please please please
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

If her nose is still bleeding, you need to call your vet immediately and let them know the situation.
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

yes call the vet by all means.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

yes by all meand contact your vet immediately. I don't know where you are located it could be that the air is too dry and that has caused the sinuses to dry too much and when she sneezed she could have broken some small blood vessels, (I do this as well in the winter sometimes) but it could be something else too. Call the vet!
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Yes, and let us know what the Vet says???? Hope it isn't anything serious... :cry:

Thanks Sweetpea!
raisinails
Rank 0
Rank 0

doggy hospital

Post by raisinails »

in our town we don't have a pet vet. ours came from a city 3 hours away. it was fortunate that he was scheduled to see our dogs. so radha's doc was fortunately in town. she suffered quite a lot and looked sick. she was so frightened by the blood spatter everytime she sneezed and the blots on towels when i tried to apply pressure so it will stop.

called the vet at dawn and first aid was to ice pack near the area after giving her a quick bath. then i was told to give her hemostan...a med to stop the bleeding.

in the morning we went to the lab for the vet to run some tests on her. she's got an IVnow and is having a blood transfusion too at the doggy hospital. her platelet is down to 34. im so worried.

vet ruled out the kindey infection coz her blood work showed improvement in the levels of creatine and another one that i forgot what it's called. he said it might be coz of a blood parasite. i am so lost. i don't know where she got it. although must be from the garden...that's the farthest she goes out to from the house. she doesnt mingle with the other dogs yet coz most of the other dogs in our house are huge...

i had to leave her with the vet for observation. T_T
:( :( :( :(
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Glad to hear they got the bleeding stopped.......and is being treated. Ya know, it doesn't always have to be something we did.....or didn't do.... Dogs just get sick sometimes :cry: Hope Radha is on the road to recovery, and it was just a nose bleed

Thanks Sweetpea!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I am so glad she is at the vet. I hope they discover what it is and she improves quickly.

David
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "he said it might be coz of a blood parasite. i am so lost. i don't know where she got it."

It could be from something as common as a tick. Research ehrlichia to get a better idea of tick diseases. All best wishes to Rahda.
raisinails
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by raisinails »

i appreciate everyone posting back at my frantic messages. i really want to thank you. you see i live with my parents and my brother and sometimes my outburst just won't do the family any good.

the vet told me today that it is ehrlichia canis... :( and i remember taking a red solitary tick months ago from her back when she came in from the garden. now the doctor says it may not be advisable for her to be pregnant and she must not play too much in the garden anymore. 6 years ago we had german shepherds (3) and mutts (4?) and our housekeeper told me that there was a tick outbreak then...they must be still in the soil somewhere in our yard....:( so no more playing for her at the garden...she loves that garden.

tonight she is staying at the vet's...i would have taken her home when i visited her this afternoon.she had an allergy due to the blood transfusion...she got eyebags now coz she was itching all over her face. vet gave her medicine for this too.

i have separation anxiety...obviously. she's my roomie.just sad not having her around. i'm worrying myself sick, i know. :cry:
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

kiwani wrote:Re: "he said it might be coz of a blood parasite. i am so lost. i don't know where she got it."

It could be from something as common as a tick. Research ehrlichia to get a better idea of tick diseases. All best wishes to Rahda.
Good call Kawani.

Instead of keeping her out of the yard why can't you just use a tick collar or some tick drops on her, Maybe also hang some tick traps around the back yard.

I don't know if tick traps may attract more ticks and cause a bigger problem but you can just hang them from the trees and bushes.

If you plan on breeding her (another topic) don't use the tick meds on her. I don't know if tick meds are bad for pregnant dogs but I know some of the hot spot sprays can cause bain damage to puppies so I would guess tick meds are bad also.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Ehrlichia Canis

Post by Jeff&Vicki »

Here are 3 websites to give you some info on Ehrlichia Canis
http://www.vet.uga.edu/VPP/clerk/Bockino/
http://www.greyhoundlist.org/ehrlichia_infosheet.html
http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/derlick.html

Ehrlichia is also a disease that humans can get and it can be fatal. Our 8 year old rescue came to us with this, it took 3 pills a day (doxycycline) for 30 days, we have not retested her yet, but she has gained 6 lbs and seems to have more energy.

If you are looking for more information try Canine Ehrlichiosis or Ehrlichia Canis it can be found under both names.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." .... Will Rogers
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Nose Bleed

Post by pfordeb »

I'm so sorry to hear about your problem. I'd be frantic and would miss all my dogs if they had to stay at the vet. Good luck and keep us posted. You came to the right place for advice. The people here are wonderful!
courtsey of Sweetpea
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Has anyone received any updates about Radha? Hope she's doing well...
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

If Radha's blood count was so low to the point of anemia and required a blood transfusion, then I would suspect there may be more than the one tick you found months ago contributing to the problem. I've seen rescued dogs who suffered from anemia, after having a number of ticks feast on them. They can bounce back quickly after the blood transfusion.
There is a pill, you can ask your vet for, it kills all parasites within 30 minutes. It is systemic, therefore Radha's condition needs to be such that she can tolerate the med...your vet will know this.

Next, I would do as Jeff suggested and treat Radha with topical tick and flea medication every month.

Lastly, I would address the ticks in the garden. Ticks nest in leaf matter, mulch and dried grasses. Clean up the leaf matter into a large plastic trash bags. In each bag, spray or dust with diactomous earth, then twist of the bag to an air tight seal....dispose of properly. Treat the mulch free ground effectively with diactomous earth, then apply new, clean mulch to the garden.
Ticks can and do invade homes, if that happens you would have to literaly move out in order to treat your home effectively, then wash everything you own, from ceiling to floor and everything in between, before moving back in. I've been there, done that, and it is one monster pain in the rear end!!!

I hope Radha is doing much better today.
Keep us posted.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
raisinails
Rank 0
Rank 0

update

Post by raisinails »

it has been a long time :) i forgot my password, hence this overdue update.
i saw recommended links about e.canis that scared me, i'm thinking of getting radha tested again just to check. but i'd hate to see her look at me pitiful at the vet's table. she's a good girl when she has to see the vet to get a shot or something but she looks at me with those eyes and my heart just gets crushed.

she celebrated her 2nd birthday this year (how many dog years is that really?). we've been through a lot of ups and downs....more ups :) i love her dearly.

here's a picture of her recently

my baby is all grown.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: <B>HELP !!!!!!!</B>

Post by Victory »

She's very pretty, and congrats on her birthday. Old belief is that they age 7 years for everyone of ours, but it also depends on their real size, so she's between 10 and 14 years in human years, so she's still a kid...
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

She is very pretty. I've also heard their human equivalent age is 14 years for the first year, then 5 after that, but eventually it ends up being about 1 year equals 7 years. I've also heard 21 years for the first two years and 5 after that, so that math all adds up? It does seem like the first year is childhood and the second year is teenage year(s), then they mature around 2. That size theory makes sense too since small dogs live longer than large dogs. Who really knows, but she is still very pretty.
courtsey of Sweetpea
raisinails
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by raisinails »

Thanks! She is a doll, isn't she?

My, my.. If she's a teenager now maybe that explains her moods sometimes. :)