I need some Fur help!

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Tumbleweed, dandilion undercoat. That's what I am dealing with. I groom Mikki outdoors. Now the neighbours are upset, her fur apparently sits on their chair cushions, gets caught in flowers, trees. The stuff simply flies off her.

A furminator is best. Better yet next spring Mikki will have to see a groomer. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one having to deal with this.

Mikki carries her very own like baby feathers down coat.

karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

Karin, it's the weirdest stuff, huh? And when I 'rake' his belly it comes out it HAND fulls!! :shock: I keep thinking to myself that I'm going to pull out all his fur!!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

cher....no problem with Mikki's belly. She was spayed 5 days ago. A large area of belly fur was shaven. Saved me some of the job of brushing.:wink:

KARIN &
chowMIKKI

cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

WOW!! They shaved a BIG area!!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

When we got Colonel in March '07, he had been a stray on the snow filled streets of Cleveland, Ohio.
Of course, as a cold climate chowboy, his coat was very thick.
When Alan (and Sharon) picked him up from the shelter, one of the first things Alan did was brush Colonel. Colonell, kindly decorated the seats of Alan's Cadilac with fur!!!
Then, overnight Colonel was brought home, to the deep south, (Alabama) with all of this HAIR!!
In the beginning we brushed him (outside) several times per day. Also, we bathed him with "shedding" shampoo to help the hair loosen and fall off. We have a ensamble of brushing tools, but the one I like the best is.....
the vacuum cleaner! We bought one of those old school Electro-lux cannister vacuums just for doggie hair!
Mark put an electrical outlet inside the closet, so I can plug in the vacuum there. With only the hose sticking thru the door, I vacuum my furkids.
Yes, I did have to work up to this! Patience, and more patience later...they "allowed" me to vacuum them! :lol:
No, it doesn't stop the furry tumbleweeds, but there is less of them!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

I remember the photos of the Colonel getting a brushing while in transit. The south is his home, he'll never get a full winter coat again? Amazing how nature works.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI