Chow Breeder in Wisconsin/Illinois Area

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Widabeck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow Breeder in Wisconsin/Illinois Area

Post by Widabeck »

My brother and sister-in-law are looking to buy a chow, they have kids so they want a puppy.

Any information on breeders in the Wisconsin/Illinois area would really be appreciated.
luvchows

breed referal

Post by luvchows »

From http://www.chowclub.org/:

For National Breeder Referral Contact:
Myrna Milligan
3 Martin Road
Placitas, NM 87043-9376

LoscerrosChows@aol.com
Please contact the above if you need breeders in your area
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Chow Breeder in Wisconsin/Illinois Area

Post by bama »

Widabeck wrote:My brother and sister-in-law are looking to buy a chow, they have kids so they want a puppy.

Any information on breeders in the Wisconsin/Illinois area would really be appreciated.
There are puppies here that need a home.
It's possible transportation could be arranged.
http://www.westtexaschowrescue.homestead.com/

http://www.chowwelfare.com/cciw/chowinfo.htm
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I can understand not wanting a rescue and wanting a PB as well, if that may be the case. If you are of that mind, consider Kisses at WTCR. He is still a 'puppy', PB, past the puppy stage, and probably housebroken. Frankly, if I was in the market for a new Chow, I would find out more about him!
Widabeck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Widabeck »

They aren't buying one right now, just in the future so they wanted to do some research on the breeders.

Chow are known to be somewhat tempermental (well, people who don't own chows say that). Most are very sweet and will steal your heart right away from you BUT like every breed there are dogs that aren't very nice. I think those tend to come from poor breeders who don't care what kind of animals they breed. If I lived in a house with adults and no children I wouldn't think twice about rescuing and taking the risk of getting an animal with problems. BUT, with having children in a house they don't want to risk that. They want to purchase a puppy from a reputable breeder.
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

You didn't mention what ages their kids are, but Rescue Animal Placement on PetFinder has links to some interesting articles they might want to read. Their point, which I had never thought of, is that puppies should never be placed in families with kids under six years old. At that age, both the kid and the puppy are BOTH still in rapid development stages, and problems are almost certain to happen. This usually ends up with the kid fearing dogs and/or an injured dog going to the pound. Their feeling is that older dogs are better with younger kids, since they are more tolerent and protective of them.
Widabeck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Widabeck »

I think I might have to dissagree with that point. Of course everyone will have different opinions.

My son is 2, I got my puppy right before his birthday. They constantly play. Sometimes when he's a little rough with her, she thinks he's playing so it's good. I've seen him with other adults dogs who don't think he's playing and get irritated with him.

As chows go they tend to attatch to one person in the home more than others, she immediatly attatched herself to my son and they are quite a pair. She's also very tolerant of other kids pulling on her and playing with her. I'm not so sure an adult dog would have meshed so well with him.

Their children are 3,2,7 months.
Chows5
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chows5 »

How old are the children? Children have to know how to respect a puppy and how to treat it. It's a two way street. My son-in-law doesn't like Chows, so, my daughter who was raised with them is not allowed to have one. Son-in-law is worried about the Chow with children. So, here is Grandma who would not let my grandchildren have a Chow anyway as they have not been taught the "proper" way to treat a dog. You can't push a Chow around and not expect some problems somewhere down the line. So, Grandma keeps the Chows and when there are puppies we go to visit the grandkids to socialize the puppies.
I very seldom have a litter of puppies, but, I do keep an ear to the ground for other good breeders that do have puppies. If I can be of any help in their search, please don't hesitate to contact me. I'm in Ohio and can pass them on to breeders either in Ohio or the surrounding states. Most of the breeders I know don't have pups very often either and those that do have them often will usually not get a referral from me as I'm opposed to over breeding..
The problem is going to be in sending them to breeders who do any health testing. There are very few of us out here.

Carolyn

PS-- I am only offering my services should they be needed. I am not trying to "market" puppies as I don't have any to market.
Widabeck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Widabeck »

Where as kids need to learn respect for dogs they are still children. Were as dogs need to know who is boss in the house they are still dogs.

A goldren retriver is knows for being very mellow and easy going. If you push around a GR your going to have far fewer problems than if you push around a Chow. Chows are great dogs but do have a repuation for being tempermental like I said before. Thats why I think having a chow puppy get used to children in the household as it grows up is better than having an adult chow who's not used to it having to adjust. I personally feel there will be far fewer problems this way.

Breeders in Ohio will work too since my sister-in-law has family in ohio and goes to visit them on occasion.
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

many would consider a chow not proper around small children , study at CDC mortality and morbity monthly will indicate even the smallest dog[ yorkies, daushuands] can contribute to DBRF .. during the puppy stage extreme close monitoring must be paramount.. since even playing can result in catastrophe. when mature i am sure the Chow would give up its life for the children ...they are noted watchers / defenders..

i think if they want a chow they should start visiting kennels a year in advance , all the good kennels will let you visit and play with puppies i think ,that would be an oppurtunity to take the children too [ with prior arrangement ] everybody would get good experience , socilization for the puppies , training for the children in proper behavior , i bet the proper chow would put up with nearly anything from its familys children , just sigh real big and more away when the kids got too rough , ,

there is an AKC breeder classified search
currently 8 litters listed
42 puppies

http://www.akc.org/classified/index.cfm

from the national club database
http://www.chowclub.org/

i think vicki is still the national rescue co-ordinator she went to great effort posting info in this forum once .. to save a chow

Vicki & Phil DeGruy
( Kennel Name:Thunderhill )
Janesville, WI 53546-9253
USA
Call: 608-756-2008
Fax: 608-756-2008

Email: vicki@thunderhillchows.com

Site: http://www.thunderhillchows.com

Timothy Malueg & Dale Hafner
( Kennel Name:Westwind )

N1762 Co Rd. KW
Oostburg, WI 53070
USA
Call: 920-668-6718

Email: malueg@milwpc.com

good luck in your search for a Chow

michael
Molto Bravo Chow
Chows5
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chows5 »

If you use the AKC site, please make sure to look at the information in the Breeder Profile to the right side of the screen. If the breeder says they do health screenings please verify this at http://offa.org.
It's easy to say you do the screenings, but, if they're not listed on the OFA site I would be asking why...

Carolyn
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I would suggest that you look for a chow mix puppy on petfinder when the time comes. It will save a life plus you will get the puppy for much less. The family can take a special trip and also teach the children an important lesson in comapassion and responsible dog care

David
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

This link has some interesting points that I had never considered, or heard discussed, regarding puppies and young children.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/rap/child.html
Widabeck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Widabeck »

They are actually adopting a puppy from a rescue group. The group has a litter of puppies that were born to a mother who was rescued.
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

Hurray hurray! That's is wonderful. I'm assuming then that the mama is a Chow? Are the pups mixed or PB? You should let them know about the site and have them join up!
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.
Widabeck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Widabeck »

They are waiting to hear if their adoption papers will be approved. Although there aren't any reason for them to be denyed.

It's a little black girl about 10 weeks (i think). I'm so excited for my little girl to have a friend to play with.

The mom is a chow, they can't garuntee what the dad is. And they don't have pictures of the puppy yet.

I told her all about the site. I said it's really great because chows are really unique. Labs and retrivers are all kind of the same but chows are really one of a kind and it's a great place for information.
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

Widabeck wrote:They are waiting to hear if their adoption papers will be approved. Although there aren't any reason for them to be denyed.

It's a little black girl about 10 weeks (i think). I'm so excited for my little girl to have a friend to play with.

The mom is a chow, they can't garuntee what the dad is. And they don't have pictures of the puppy yet.

I told her all about the site. I said it's really great because chows are really unique. Labs and retrivers are all kind of the same but chows are really one of a kind and it's a great place for information.
Oh, I hope they get her. How exciting. And very small, still. Hope she has the Chow's good sense about housetraining. :D Wish them luck from me and feline crew here.
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.
Widabeck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Widabeck »

It makes me want to get another one. If it weren't for my husband I would adopt one of the puppies too. I want two chows so bad but right now the fur flying out of holly is enough to drive my husband nuts, he would never let me in a million years!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

THAT IS GOOD NEWS

Dogdad
Widabeck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Widabeck »

And for everyone saying they should get an adult because it's better for the kids...

The lady at the adoption agency told my sister-in-law they wouldn't let her take an adult with kids in the house unless it was raised with kids, even then they would be a little leary.

So....thats what they said.
jnk111
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jnk111 »

That's great.

Just on the subject of adopting an adult. If you see a chow in a shelter you know that has an incredible temperament, most chows do not stand a chance in a shelter. They don't run up and wag their tail at everyone. Take a look at the Baara thread, she changed so much in just the 24 hours that she was in the foster home.

Good luck with the pup!!
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Chows and kids can go great together. However, I agree that if you have never had a independent breed of dog and are going to get a chow and have children I would wait.

I think it is all about education. Teaching your children to respect the chow and his/her boundries and teaching your chow proper behavior with children. It can be a very rewarding experience for both.

Personally I feel safer knowing that I have a chows that love my children so much. But at the same time I never leave my children and my chows alone together. But I would never leave any pet and a small child alone. Either one could hurt the other one without meaning too. I just think it is a good rule of thumb to monitor to make sure everyone is behaving.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!