Sun-burnt fur

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Sun-burnt fur

Post by WildThings »

Does any know if there is a way to keep black chow fur from sunburning other than keeping them out of the sun. Tess loves to be outside and is already starting to get an orange tint to her fur from the last few weeks. I tried to convince her to stay in the house, or at least stay in the shade on the porch or under the tree, but she is hard-headed and insist on laying in the sun. I didn't know if there was anything that would help prevent the color change or if I will just have to live with it.

It really doesn't look that bad, but it there was a way to prevent it, I would do it.
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Not that I know of. Just sort of a summer thing. The more time outside the more sun fading.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Hmmm... we've got the same thing going on. I keep joking with hubby that at least we can tell he's geeting enough walks! :roll: :D This came up last year too, I remember a post full of suggestions about this, I even think that Kiwani or someone reccomended a spray that will protect the hair, but I'm so sorry I don't have the link or remember the title of the post.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Red, I was just wondering how you keep the Princess sooooooo Black and Shiney. I read that post, someone said, mix sunscreen with 1/2 water I think, and spray LIGHTLY. I was gonna ask if you did that to your baby.....I may have to try that too, cuz I love the beautiful black coat
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Nope. We just live where it is hot so she is not outside except early morning a potty break in the afternoon or at night. There is SPS 15 in the oil moisterizing spray that I put on her, but she does get a little red in the summer. Not much but a little.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Whats it called I want to use it???? You use it full strength then??? How much??? Shes BEAUTIFUL!!! I don't mind a little red, but mostly black is great!!!Looks like it helps keep her coat silky and not DRY, does it???
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

I use Isoplus or Pink, but any brand will do really. Just check to see if they have the SPF in it. You just go to the black hair section of any store and look for oil moisturizer in a spray. Make sure you follow the directions. If you spray too close you will end up with a oily pup. It works great for fuzzy white ppl hair too. I used to look like little orphan annie with my curly hair as a kid and used it from a young age. I also use it on my oldest's hair to keep her curls in check. If they don't carry it will the spf version in your store you can use the spray spf (like they say mixed with water) but I would recommend using the spf 15.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

redangie24 wrote:I use Isoplus or Pink, but any brand will do really. Just check to see if they have the SPF in it. You just go to the black hair section of any store and look for oil moisturizer in a spray. Make sure you follow the directions. If you spray too close you will end up with a oily pup. It works great for fuzzy white ppl hair too. I used to look like little orphan annie with my curly hair as a kid and used it from a young age. I also use it on my oldest's hair to keep her curls in check. If they don't carry it will the spf version in your store you can use the spray spf (like they say mixed with water) but I would recommend using the spf 15.
Red,

I've used that oil spray myself, sometimes still do!
It puts a great shine on my dark hair!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Red, Just got Kearra some Pink, Thanks
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

No problem. Your welcome.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zingara_princepessa »

If all else fails, there's Preference, by L'Oreal!!
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

zingara_princepessa wrote:If all else fails, there's Preference, by L'Oreal!!
LMAO - what a plan!
Thank you Elodie!
Widabeck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Widabeck »

OH MY GOSH! I'm so dumb!

My Black chow is turning red all around her face. She's an outdoors dog. She loves anything outside.

I thought that she was starting to grow in red around her face, I had no clue this was from the sun!

I'll have to try some of these suggestions to get her back to black!
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Even if she does go red in the winter it will go back to black so don't get too upset. Also make sure you are using a rake to get out all the dead fur, because that will turn a reddish color first.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!