Dry shampoo?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

bchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Dry shampoo?

Post by bchow »

Has anyone ever used dry shampoo on their chows? if so what do you think of it, does it work just as good or is a good old soak in the tub with the bubbles best?
on the subject of grooming, what sort of combs/brushes would you say are best?
Grrr Woof woof!
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I don't know much about the dry shampoo, but for the brush thing, an undercoat rake will be your best friend. It is the only thing that works on both my long haired dogs. I own a rake, slicker brush, flea comb, mat cutter, and a comb, but the only one I usually use is the rake. It actually gets down into the thick undercoat while the other tools only skim the top.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I'm with wildthings on the undercoat rake, just make sure it's a really sturdy one. The first one that I got is all bent now :roll: I also use a long pin brush before the rake and a metal comb on Millie's legs and tail. During the big shed i've had great sucess with the furminator. Not everyone likes the Furminator, but a few of us really get a long well with it.
Last edited by Layla on Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you Elodie!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Sorry, I forgot about the shampoo section of the question! I don't bother with that, I usually find that if I let all the mud / sand / dirt dry it brushes out easily with the pin brush. Millie only gets a bath if she smells :D
Thank you Elodie!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

:lol: Layla, I just HAVE to ask, because I can; What is a "mental comb" HA HA HA HA.. Do you "comb" Millie's mind too? Comb away all the cobwebs? tee hee...

Just playin' with ya!

xo Cheri.

I have a rake, comb, brush, de-matting comb, safety scissors, thinning shears, ALL the gadgets! I use the de-matting comb the most.

And I'm with Layla! Sid gets a bath when he SMELLS! He just got a bath on Friday. :) He's so clean and pretty smelling! THEN of COURSE it POURED here in Santa Rosa and he played in the puddles! ARGH!!! :)
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Cheri - :P :P :P :P :{|}
Thank you Elodie!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cheriekynb »

Layla wrote:Cheri - :P :P :P :P :{|}
:o) :o) 8-} 8-} :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HA HA HA HA HA
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

I asked my vet about the dry shampoo because it's so hard to give Jazzy a bath. His response is, it's more of a perfume, and is usually used when a dog smells. However, he recommended NOT using it on Jazzy. He said the powder gets down into the undercoat, cannot all be brushed out, and irritates the skin.

Havent used it yet, but I picked up some scented grooming and finishing spray, supposed to help detangle and moisturize dogs hair, with anti static shield. Probably won't work on a chow :wink:

I have what I think you all call a rake, and have a metal comb, a mat slicer that doesn't work, and a people brush that my vet suggested I use between sheds.

BTW, what is a furminator?
~ Sally
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Furminator is a tool that claims to get all the undercoat that is shedding out in one go. If you search for it you'll see several threads on it. I have to say that for me, it has been really really great and cut down on that all that brushing that comes at this time of year. i borrowed a friends (that has a saymoed) and was so impressed that i got my own. You can google it if you're interested :)
Thank you Elodie!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cheriekynb »

Layla, I bought a Furminator yesterday! WOW, it IS amazing!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I have seen the Furminator on store shelves. I'd imagine the 4 in. one would be best? Shedding season is coming up, I'll give it a try, may work better than the slicker brush. Can the Furmator be used on their behind too? My chow's fur is very coarse on her rear and chest.

Good demos on this link,

http://www.furminator.com/
KARIN &
chowMIKKI