switching foods

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

tekendall
Rank 1
Rank 1

switching foods

Post by tekendall »

I started switching dog food about a month ago from Nutro to Natural Balance. I did it very slow over the course of 2-3 weeks. Both my dogs are still having a little loose stool though. They have been eating nothing but the new food now for at least 2 weeks. Did I do something wrong? How long should it take for them to adjust to the new food? I'm beginning to wonder if this food just doesn't agree with them. Neither the Nutro or Natural Balance formula I used was involved in the food recalls (not yet anyways). Any suggestions?
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Sounds like you did what you should do. I'm no expert but the food might not agree with them. Did it change from what meat is in it? lamb -> chicken, or something? That could have something to do with it. Don't know for sure
~ Sally
tekendall
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tekendall »

I did change the meat source. Nutro was lamb and rice, and the Natural Balance has chicken, lamb and duck in it.

I called my vets office. They say to make a 50/50 mix of steamed white rice with the food for a few days. If that doesn't firm things up, they say to come in for a visit to make sure something else isn't going on. They aren't acting sick or anything so I'm sure it's just due to the new food.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

You better stick with the lamb and rice for a while untill they get this crap over with.

Poultry farms in Indiana given contaminated feed

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. government said on Monday 38 poultry farms in Indiana were given contaminated feed in early February containing melamine, with some of the chickens likely to have entered the food supply.

The U.S. Agriculture Department and the food and Drug Administration said there was a "low-risk" to humans and no food recalls were expected at this time. They are uncertain how many chickens were involved, how many entered the food supply or where they went.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/poultry_usda ... 1y1J0DW7oF

If you are feeding Nutro's Chicken and rice? it has oatmeal in it and it say's for dogs with sensitive stomachs. That might be why the soft stools.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I just switched Butters food as well. Of course I did it suddenly, but his food says it could take 4-6 weeks to get use to.
SweetPea Rocks!!