NEW FOOD RECALL -- Natural Balance

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

NEW FOOD RECALL -- Natural Balance

Post by Rogansmommy »

There's no wheat gluton in this brand, so who knows.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
tekendall
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tekendall »

I just switched to this brand from Nutro after all the other recalls. Looks like only the venison formula is causing problems (thankfully I'm not using that one). Which dog food companies can we trust?
chris

Post by chris »

OMG... :?
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I think what we need are pet food company inspectors to go out and take a look and make sure the company is processing the foods cleanly. Of course most folks might think that we need to do this for people food first. Contaminated peanut butter from a leaky roof! A bit rediculous in this day and age if you ask me.

"...to provide for the common good..." isn't that one of our governments jobs?
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: NEW FOOD RECALL -- Natural Balance

Post by SWANCIN »

Rogansmommy wrote:There's no wheat gluton in this brand, so who knows.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/
Cr*p! I feed Kodi the venison and brown rice CANNED for her pill administration in morning meal, but am taking no chances....
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

We switched from the Nature's Balance venison dry to Canidae about 4 months ago because Nina reacted to the food.

I'm running low on cat food and am terrified to go and buy more.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
tekendall
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tekendall »

I used to use Innova. From what I've researched, it's one of the best pet foods available (and was not recalled). The only problem was I think Zoey may have been allergic to something in it. The eggs perhaps. Anyways, if it wasn't for that, I'd still be using it. I wish they would come up with an allergy formula.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Solid Gold all the way, it's great stuff, no itches & they love it!
Thank you Elodie!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

Layla wrote:Solid Gold all the way, it's great stuff, no itches & they love it!
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I WISH Sid liked the SG!! He just WON'T eat it, no matter HOW I doctor it up.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I just read that it was the same chemical (melamine) that was found in the wheat glutten of the others. Except in Nautral Balance it was found in there rice protein.
SweetPea Rocks!!
BooBooBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BooBooBear »

i hope this is okay to post here. Has anyone ever used Diamond foods? What is better Innova or Solid Gold?

Leo(Booboobear) 12/23/1993-3/3/2007

"You'll Always Be In My Heart"
I will always cherish your unconditional friendship!!!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Don't use Diamond, Diamond killed a bunch of dogs on thier own with out all the new food recall a few years ago.

Inova and sold gold are good, (dry)I would stay away from any wet or pouched foods for now.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sylvia »

TJordan wrote:I just read that it was the same chemical (melamine) that was found in the wheat glutten of the others. Except in Nautral Balance it was found in there rice protein.
I read that too. The article I read said that melamine will increase the nitrogen level which is used as a marker when testing for the amount of protein. In other words, melamine makes it look like there is more protein in the food than there is.

What concerns me is this quote, "Local veterinarians who've tracked kidney ailments nationwide have tentatively identified five more foods, not at this point under any recall, that they plan to have tested as soon as possible."

You can read this article here: http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/156967.html
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

This is so scary, I don't trust any of these companies. I am low on cat food also, I don't know what brand to buy? They don't like the homecooking, no matter how palatable I am trying to make it. I have put giblets, chicken livers through the food processor, mixed a bit of rice in it, they refuse to even nibble on it. It won't go to waste, Mikki is like a walking garbage can, that chow eats everything and anything, including apples and other fruit. Mikki went into the composter and ate the apple cores/skin.
What also worries me, I heard on the news this morning that Canada will not regulate pet food. The Dept. of Agriculture will keep an eye on food stuffs that is imported into Canada.
***The FDA has since blocked Chinese imports of wheat gluten. An FDA spokeswoman did not immediately return messages left seeking comment.***(Yahoo News)
What a stupid statement. As we know the poisoned stuff can be imported into Canada, they mix the crapcatdogfood here and ship it to the US. The FDA has no jurisdiction of what is put in the food in Canada.
Frustrating,
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Sylvia wrote:
TJordan wrote:I just read that it was the same chemical (melamine) that was found in the wheat glutten of the others. Except in Nautral Balance it was found in there rice protein.
I read that too. The article I read said that melamine will increase the nitrogen level which is used as a marker when testing for the amount of protein. In other words, melamine makes it look like there is more protein in the food than there is.

What concerns me is this quote, "Local veterinarians who've tracked kidney ailments nationwide have tentatively identified five more foods, not at this point under any recall, that they plan to have tested as soon as possible."

Could the manufactorer's be using the melamine *intentionally* as a cost effective additive to boost the protein value of the pet food? :shock: :shock: :shock:

I would not be surprised if that is the case, because this is really beginning to look suspicious. If it was an intentional ingredient, I would assume the manufactorer's didn't look far enough past the dollar signs to recognize the impact on the consumer...our pets.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

cheriekynb wrote:
Layla wrote:Solid Gold all the way, it's great stuff, no itches & they love it!
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I WISH Sid liked the SG!! He just WON'T eat it, no matter HOW I doctor it up.
I alternate SG with Timberwolf organics kibble and Millie loves that more I think. There is a lot to be said for the SG seakelp supplement on SG kibble... seems to make it taster. I'm an indulgent food Mama and Millie gets 1/4 of canned wet Innova, SG, cottage cheese or sardines on her kibble. NO way she'll go for anything without it :wink:
Thank you Elodie!
Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sylvia »

bama wrote:
Sylvia wrote:

Could the manufactorer's be using the melamine *intentionally* as a cost effective additive to boost the protein value of the pet food? :shock: :shock: :shock:

I would not be surprised if that is the case, because this is really beginning to look suspicious. If it was an intentional ingredient, I would assume the manufactorer's didn't look far enough past the dollar signs to recognize the impact on the consumer...our pets.

Although its hard to say for sure, I suspect the manufacturer's aren't directly at fault. The wheat gluten and rice protein seem to have the melamine in them prior to being sold to the manufacturers. Since wheat gluten and rice protein are added to enhance the protein content of the food, the suspicions would be that somewhere in the supply chain melamine is being added to make them both appear to have a higher protein content.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

I used to have eight (8) cats. Four died of unknown causes, kidney failure the vet guessed at the time. Two were older cats.

Why don't the manufacturers use Can. or US grown wheat gluten? They're constantly pulling ch. products off the shelves here. We have close to a million chinese in Canada. Their supermarkets are packed with packgd. foods. 1/2 a million ppl from China live in the GTA. Another 300,000 live in HK and GTA at the same time. We have huge ch. malls here. You dnon't have big ones like that in the US. Import/Export is brisk. The Can-Chin. trade is slowing down, China chose the US as their new big trader. Watch out. Forbes has good info on that.

I don't know what to feed the cats, the chow is no problem.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sylvia »

sit_by_the_beach wrote:
I don't know what to feed the cats, the chow is no problem.

Karin
I've been feeding my cats Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken (dry cat food). I purchased two large bags in January before this whole recall broke out. I'm on the second bag and so far no problem. I purchased a number of cans of their canned cat food, but my cats won't eat it. My cats can be very fussy about their canned cat food, so not sure that this says anything or not.

The following quote appears on the Solid Gold web page.

"We at Solid Gold Health Products for Pets, Inc. ("Solid Gold') realize that consumers are very concerned with the recent product food recalls. We would like to assure our customers that there are no safety concerns with Solid Gold products. The product recalls and removals have centered around ingredients sourced in China, in particular wheat gluten and now rice protein concentrate. These products are thought to be contaminated with melamine. Neither of these ingredients are used in any Solid Gold food products, nor do we source any ingredients from China, either directly or indirectly. We do not use gluten meal of any kind in any of our foods.

"All the ingredients in Solid Gold products are sourced domestically with three exceptions. The lamb meal used in our dry foods is sourced from New Zealand, which produces some of the cleanest meat in the world. The potato protein used in Barking at the Moon is sourced in Europe. Our Blended Tuna canned cat food (grain free) is produced offshore due to the lack of tuna processing plants in the United States."

You can read the quote here.

http://solidgoldhealth.com/news/
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Thanks, I will take a trip to Petsmart. The supermarket only carries Purina.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sylvia »

If your Petsmart doesn't carry it (mine doesn't), try calling a health food store. That's how I get mine. Just get the dry cat food, and stay away from the canned. I still haven't figured out why my cats won't eat the canned since they used to. I'm chalking it up to feline fussiness.
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Here we go, I'm sure Jeff will love this! I have been feeding ProPlan and ProPlan Selects for some time and have seen no problems, and as far as I know they are not affected by any of this foreign food scare. The energy levels on my dogs are extremely high, no signs of anything wrong with the food. Just thought I would toss in an alternative for those that are looking. The dogs love the food too, especially the Selects.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Red Dragon wrote:Here we go, I'm sure Jeff will love this! I have been feeding ProPlan and ProPlan Selects for some time and have seen no problems, and as far as I know they are not affected by any of this foreign food scare. The energy levels on my dogs are extremely high, no signs of anything wrong with the food. Just thought I would toss in an alternative for those that are looking. The dogs love the food too, especially the Selects.
Proplan, Nutro, Innova, Brands don't matter anymore, Now you go by what ever food you can feed that dosn't kill them, even if it means a happy meal.

We should just go back to the days when Dogs were healthy and toss table scraps out the window then yell, come and get it.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

I FINALLY found ONE place in Sonoma County that sells SG products! It's called "Western Farm and Feed".. They are SO nice and SO knowledgeable! Has anyone tried just a regular "Feed" store that sells "farm animal" food?

I swear, they were way nicer then PetSmart, PetCo, SmartPets.. They even said I could bring the SG back if Sid didn't like it and trade it for something else!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Jeff&Peks wrote:
Proplan, Nutro, Innova, Brands don't matter anymore, Now you go by what ever food you can feed that dosn't kill them, even if it means a happy meal.

We should just go back to the days when Dogs were healthy and toss table scraps out the window then yell, come and get it.
My parents fostered a little heinz57 pup for 1 year 40 years ago. Except for the odd small can of food as a treat, the dog ate what we ate. At 10 months he was neutered and had one rabies shot. He then moved in with my brother and lived to be 16 years old.

Mikki seems to thrive on bama's superduperrawburger. No cooking involved.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI