Rank 2

I thought chows didn't like toys???

Post by willowchow »

Willow loves this red blinking ball!

sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

Gracie has 1 toy she just really loves, its a squeaky round odd looking thing. She loves it. She hides it in safe places to keep the other dogs from running off with it. All the rest she just kind of ignores unless they are playing keep away or something. Princess just rips toys up then carries around what's left of it.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

LOL Koda's favorite toys are things he is not supposed to have... including, but not limited to:
1. Empty toilet paper rolls.
2. Empty paper towel rolls.
3. Anything on the coffee table that fits in his big mouth, as in my cell phone, the cordless house phone.
4. Whatever is in my leather purse that suits his fancy, including my leather wallet that I just recently bought to go with my leather purse. :(
Puppies... gotta love 'em. LOL
Nancy and Tai

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly and Mabel love their cuddly toys. They have a lot of them and carry them round and put them places. They like two or three in bed with them and in the summer will carry them out into the garden. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)

Post by Guest »

Chingers has a laundry basket full of toys that he loves! His favorite toys are a little blue monkey with teething arms on it, and his absolute favorite is a stuffed giraffe that we got him the day we picked him up. He plays with his toys all the time.

He also LOVES catnip mice! He steals them from the cats all the time! LOL
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

Kodi loves toys even more as she grows older (she's a little over 4 years old now).
Here's pics of her with her toys (she has a toy box now) and her catnip mouse too!

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5 ... IZuXLhs2aq

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4 ... IZuXLhs2aq

I edited to add this question. Kodi does 'flip' her toys, but most often, she does this suckling thing on them. Anyone elses' chows noogie their toys (kind of a scissor bite, cleaning action
)???
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Darkwind and Firesong love their toys! They recently "killed" the big rainbow jax they had, so I have to replace it, but they having fun with their "anchor" right now and they have an owl and a mouse that have plastic bottles in them that they love, two big hard rubber balls, a robe toy, (Firesong LOVES that one) and other assorted stuffed toys, the more the toy squeaks the better they like it....although there are times, when I'm glad the squeaker dies! :)
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Willow loves this red blinking ball!"

---

Then wait'll she sees the shaggy neon colored "fur balls" which start rolling in all directions and scream out sound-bite recordings of the *strangest* things when you drop them. It's almost as good as a pack of lemmings!

:lol:
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly and Mabel both suck at their toys sometimes - also when Milly carries hers around she holds them tight in her mouth and snorts and snuffles along. :lol:
What I think is most endearing is they have two little squirrels and they love them. They take them out with them in the garden in the summer but sometimes Mabel will go out without her toys and several times we have seen Milly take a squirrel out and give it to Mabel and then go back for the other one and lie with it near to Mabel. :) They both love those little squirrels. :)
Also, they know basically which toys belong to who. Mostly they are shared but there are some that at specifically Milly's or Mabel's. For example, Milly has her green hippopotomus and her bunny and her cow and Mabel has her teddy and her duck and her flamingo. They don't like anybody moving them. If Milly, say, has taken her green hippo out into the garden - come teatime, I might start putting things away and I bring the hippo in, if she does not agree she will come in and take it out again and lie on it so that I cannot get it. :roll:
Their toys live mainly in the sitting room by the television but sometimes they will move a few of them to a different place in the sitting room, dining room or hall. Also, when our daughter comes to visit Milly is always desperate to have her car keys and Carolyn always gives them to her. Milly struts around with them for a while but then she goes and drops them in the middle of the toys and actually moves a toy or two to cover them then she lies down to guard them! :-x

So I think toys are very important to Chows.

Having said that, our last Dane, Lizzie had two little rag dolls. I was a Guide Captain at the time and Brown Owl had made ten little rag dolls for the Church Fair. I was dressing them and only managed to dress eight so these two dolls were in my work basket and Lizzie pinched them and adopted them. She loved them! They got dirty so I would wash them and she would wait for them in the kitchen whilst they were in the washing machine.

Sometimes she would take them out into our avenue and drop them there when something else took her attention. Often there would be a knock on the door and a youngster would be there with one or both of "Lizzie's Dollies" and would bring them back for her. :D

I still have those two little rag dolls in my dressing table drawer. They are a bit worn and only got as far as having little pink knickers made for them - she carried them round for 9 years!
Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Shane »

Those blinking balls, I heard that the dogs are attracted to the light

Shane
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

When I first got Lily, I did some reading. One book made the comment that it is below a Chow's dignity to chase a stick. :lol: These two never met a stick that wasn't worth chewing. I used the big stick in the picture all summer to get Lily to come to me...worked better than a treat. Often the girls played a tug of war over the littlest twig, with the disintegration of the twig being the end of the game. Lily's favorite toy right now is a hard rubber ball that bounces when she drops it.
kumathechow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kumathechow »

ngraham wrote:LOL Koda's favorite toys are things he is not supposed to have... including, but not limited to:
1. Empty toilet paper rolls.
2. Empty paper towel rolls.
3. Anything on the coffee table that fits in his big mouth, as in my cell phone, the cordless house phone.
4. Whatever is in my leather purse that suits his fancy, including my leather wallet that I just recently bought to go with my leather purse. :(
Puppies... gotta love 'em. LOL
Hey, atleast koda likes empty toilet paper rolls! Kuma likes them full. That will teach us to put the toilet paper on the holder!
Kuma plays with toys, but prefers pens, remote controls, candles, basically anything that she's not supposed to have.
Debbie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Debbie »

Bones is just not into toys at all. In the summer he did play with his carrots I pulled fresh out of the garden before he ate them. Other than that, nothing. My son and I used to play soccer in the back yard when Bear was alive and Bear would actually get in the game - usually goalie! Bones would run and hide in an area where the ball could not come near him :?

Willow looks so beautifully groomed in the photo at the top of this topic - just lovely!
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

kumathechow wrote:Hey, atleast koda likes empty toilet paper rolls! Kuma likes them full. That will teach us to put the toilet paper on the holder!
Kuma plays with toys, but prefers pens, remote controls, candles, basically anything that she's not supposed to have.
Hahahahaha makes ya wonder if those 2 aren't related. Koda has a whole laundry basket full of toys... he just prefers the other stuff. So far he hasn't messed with full toilet paper rolls.... just the emptys. LOL
Nancy and Tai

Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

the "dead" bull

Post by Sharons Chows »

Poor JR....he has been dragging around this pitiful looking stuffed blue "bull" for 8 years now. Actually his bull was a stuffed rhino...who just happened to be labeled bull. It stinks and is dirty...but I wouldn't have dared to wash it...it is his big time security and all he ever did was lick one ear a little raggy.
Well, along came Miss Cheyenne, who has now been in the house a little over 5 weeks.....and guess who's rhino's snout was ripped off yesterday and the stuffing pulled out ....you got it! I sewed the place where the nose/horn used to be..shut.
When I came home from work today...there was poor JR holding "bull" in his paws...I know that he knows that it has been deadly injured...oh what to do????
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Kiwani-Where do we get one of those???

Debbie-Thank you for the compliment! :D
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Kiwani-Where do we get one of those???"

---

Walmart children's toy dept @ $3 clearance sale price. They look like neon tribbles that shake, roll around, and vibrate, and the recording sound bites vary by the color of the ball. They yell out things like "baloooney, salaaami, take me to your leader, psycho hack music, other song clips, you go girl, etc.

Other nice "toys" are plush paint rollers, stuffed fuzzy socks, and children's oversized character slippers (the ones that look like gorillas, cats, dogs). At 75% off after Christmas a pair of those can cost about a dollar. Lots of interesting stuff in the clearance piles make great dog toys (like furry purses/clutch bags for a dollar)...and if you sew, shearling fabric scraps can be made into simple stuffed tube toys.
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Thanks and those are great ideas too!
Elaina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Elaina »

Max-A-Million's favorite toy is a green ball he killed (ripped it open, killed the squeeker, and tore out the stuffing) about a year ago. This ball no longer bounces or squeeks, but Max loves it. He will play with this thing for hours. :D

Mei-Mei's favorite is a heavy blue rubber ball with tiny little ears and feet on it. Its the only toy that has survived her onslaught as she is more destructive to toys than Max is. :D

Mahayana's favorite is a stuffed cloth Louisiana alligator. She allows no one to touch it. It lives under our dining room table (from where her royal highness rules). If I put it away in the Chow toy box, she will go get it and place it back under the dining room table. :D

One day we bought the group a yellow blinking ball, thinking they would have a blast with it. All three of them looked at the ball when I tossed it to them, sniffed the blinking ball, then walked away. The ball is now in the bottom of the toy box. Hmmmmm....first toy they didn't at least attempt to destroy! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Peace and Blessings
Elaina, Max-A-Million, Mei-Mei, Mikko and our Queen...Mahayana
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Elaina, I love the bit about the alligator under the dining table - this is exactly what M & M do. If I move one of their toys, they will move it back! :) It really amuses me when Milly will move two or three of the toys to another place in the sitting room or dining area - they will stay there for a day or two or three then will be moved back and the filthy looks I get if I try to move them to hoover up or whatever! :roll:
You really have got to love them!
Our old Dane Lizzie hated anyone to touch her dollies though - we only had to say "Have you seen Lizzie's dollies!" and she would go and get them and guard them. :)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Other nice "toys" are plush paint rollers, stuffed fuzzy socks, and children's oversized character slippers

True- Lily had one of my daughter's Joe Coll fluffy slippers in the living room the other day. Also I got some shower scrunchies in my stocking for Christmas, and Lil got ahold of one and shook the bejesus out of it!
[/quote]
Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Shane »

The closest thing for Krillan for a toy is small rocks. Those are the only inanimate objects you'll be able to get him to chase. Shadow doesn't chase them, when he is in the mood he'll chase Krillan who's chasing the rock.

Shane