Gizmo dies while at vet being groomed

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Deanski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Gizmo dies while at vet being groomed

Post by Deanski »

I dropped off our 3 year old male cream for his grooming at the vet. Since he is a bit to handle, they tranqualized him as before.

After coming out of it he seems fine. They went and started to brush him out. He then vomited and collapsed. The vet did everything to start his heart, but he died today.

I'm devistated and not able to understand what happened. :cry:

Now, I do not know what to do. :cry:

Deanski
HemiCuda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HemiCuda »

I am so so sorry to hear about your loss :( , if you go to the memorials page, you may find comfort in the rainbow bridge posting.

"If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain" - Dolly Parton
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

How awful...I recently lost our lab mix of 13 years. It is a terrible thing to lose a friend...but under such tragic circumstances! I had read that chows don't tolerate anesthesia and tranquilizers as well as other breeds. I am so sorry.
JAYGOW1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JAYGOW1 »

First off, I'm VERY sorry to hear your story. That is an agonizing story. May you find solace here at the forum. Please feel at home here, while you seek comfort.

When you are up to it, we would love to see pictures of your precious baby boy. You failed to mention his name. OOPS, it was GIZMO. That is a kewl name !!
Last edited by JAYGOW1 on Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I really miss my purple kisses!!! RIP Bear, my bestest friend EVER !!
7-20-2006

Khon,you were taken WAY too early !
Til we meet again, my friend
3-24-2007
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

"I'm devistated and not able to understand what happened."

Damn, I don't think a person could get any worse news then that, That's horrible news, For right now it might help to visit the memorial section. As for what happened, I know what I want to say but probably not the right time. Or maybe someone else can help with what may have happened.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Oh how terrible! I'm so, so sorry for your loss. :cry:
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Oh, no... I am so sorry. Poor Gizmo, poor you.... We are here if you want to talk. It's OK to greive. I will be lighting a candle for Gizmo tonight. Take care, look after yourself.

In deepest sympathies,
Leonora & mum
Deanski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thank you for your kind words

Post by Deanski »

Thank all of you for your kind words.

I lost my Jack-Jack several years ago and then we got Gizmo from Forestway Chows.

He was only 3... The vet was also devistated as well as the staff and they did everything to keep him alive, but we just don't know what happened.

I went to go see him and that was really when I lost it. He was my good boy, very affectionit. Loved to give kisses.

Our vet is at a loss. The staff was equally devistated.

Tomorrow, I'm taking my little boy to All Pets for a private service and cremation.

Both my wife and I are at a loss for how it happened so suddenly with no warning. He vomited then collapsed, from there it went downhill fast.

I hope to God he didn't suffer.

Our poor Boosha-Bear who is 13 is still looking for him when we walk, it's reallt tuff.

Never seem to have an issue with being tranqualized, but now I wonder if someone administered too much.

The house is now quite,

Deanski
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Deanski,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss how tragic

David
Fidel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fidel »

I am too sorry for your loss. My mom had a teacup poodle that died that way when they were cleaning her teeth. Do they have malpractice for vets???
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Well if your looking into what happend, ask them what type of Anesthaisa was used and ask if ACEPROMAZINE was used and how much, try to get them to give you the exact amount, like .25 mg etc.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Kim Tansek helped me get my Leonora in my search for a chowling. You may already have, but might want to inform Kim & John of Gizmo, when you are ready. Although I've never met them, they sounded to be really caring.

Hugs,
Leonora & mum
precious's mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by precious's mom »

Deanski,

I am so terribly sorry to hear of your sudden loss!!! Prayers and thoughts sent your way to be comforted and find peace.

Much love and with deepest sympathy - Missi and the girls
Missi

created by the AMAZINGLY TALENTED sweetpea
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

:cry:

Oh that silence of your companion that was so full of life and now is gone...That is a devistating quiet......My heart goes out to you..what a trauma.....
God speed in healing....
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
Deanski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Deanski »

LEO's mum wrote:Kim Tansek helped me get my Leonora in my search for a chowling. You may already have, but might want to inform Kim & John of Gizmo, when you are ready. Although I've never met them, they sounded to be really caring.

Hugs,
Leonora & mum
Yes, we've left a message and I emailed her. She was very helpful. Boosha had a Lomectomy a few years ago and Kim advised me as well. Poor girl was unable to walk for a long time until all nerves were back. She still has issues, and this is mostly due to age now.

Already my wife is asking for another Chowling. I don't know yet, but may have to.

I hope Kim will respond soon.

Regards,
Deanski
Deanski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Deanski »

I know this should be in the memorial area, but wanted input as to sudden death as well.

I'm an old member of this forum long ago and my story of Jack-Jack was posted on it years ago called "I want a dog" by one of the previous owners.
chris

Post by chris »

:shock: I am completely in shock. I'm so so so sorry for your loss. Please make yourself at home here. If you need anything, we are all here to help you.

Chris n Steel
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to hear about your devastating loss. You will be in my thoughts.

All I can say is, allow yourself time to grieve, only you and wife will know when the time is right for another chowling.

You certainly did not post in the wrong section. The memorial section is a private place just for you in addition to wherever else you may choose to post. Please know you're all in our thoughts.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Deanski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Deanski »

Kim called. My wife is on the phone with her now.

I'll find out what she has to say.

Thank you all again, and yes we are just devistated.

Deanski
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Sooooo Sorry for your loss....... :cry:
Our Thought and Prayers are with you, and will be interested to know what you find out........
Bearsmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bearsmom »

I'm so sorry! There is no good way to lose a friend...especially a furry friend! ..this seems especially raw.

I lost my Bear in January because he was found to have the big C...I don't know what is better...KNOWing you are going to have to face life with him, or having him go unexpectedly...none of its fun.

Grieve. Grieve. Grieve. I STILL am and its been almost three months. I don't know if I will ever stop.

Bearsmom
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I am so sorry to hear about poor Gizmo. I really don't know what else to say. Losing a pet, especially at such a young age is so heartbreaking.
Deanski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Deanski »

Kim spoke to my wife and she thinks it was or had to be the tranquilizer. This was the only factor we can come up with.

So, NEVER use a "reverable" tranq on a Chow.

My poor boy, I'm so sorry. I knew he didn't want to go in for the grooming.

Worse yet was last night I was rubbing his belly as he lay there all relaxed.

Tomorrow will be a very tough day as I take him for the last time.
:cry:
Deanski
dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

So sorry to hear of your loss :(
Claudia & Riley
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Sorry for your loss, that's really sad when something like that happens. Can you find out exactly what they used, it may be helpful to others down the road?
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!