Precious is sick and at the vet

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Missi,

I'm so sorry that You and Precious had to go through the IV routine. I'm glad, however that she got her fiestiness back!
The Furkid has SPUNK!!! :shock:
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I didn't even see this thread, but its great news after finding it that Precious is doing fine.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
precious's mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by precious's mom »

Well, sad news - she is just not feeling well again. Now she is a bit lethargic and depressed. Not throwing up, but I can hear her tummy gurgling. As we assumed at the vet, she is over suppressed from her Trilostane (her chemo for her Cushings.) I have given her another 5mg of Prednisone to avoid an Addison's crisis and I will sleep down stairs by her tonight to keep an eye on her. I will be in touch with the vet again in the AM to see what next. Her ACTH test results should be back in and I may need to bring her in to the vet for the day again. sigh

crying - Missi :cry:
Missi

created by the AMAZINGLY TALENTED sweetpea
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Oh, gosh missi I am so sorry. And I know all this up and down is so hard. Maybe you should call and see if you should take her in to emergency tonight just in case. I am so so sorry for you and precious. I know you must be so worried. I will be sending our love and our thoughts will be with you tonight.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zingara_princepessa »

Come on, Presh...you can do it...Get Well Soon!

Hugs to your mama [:D]
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
Boggled
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boggled »

Sending thoughts and prayers your way [:D]
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I hope you both had a good night and she is on the mend soon

David
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Oh what a sweet little face!
I'm praying that everything turns out okay and that you have many, many more happy days with her.
Take Care,
Roxana [:D]
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Missi,

Just checking on Precious.
I hope you and Precious got a good night's sleep.
You both are stressed and a good sleep is, well, Precious.
Please keep us posted on how she is doing.
Hugs and kisses to Precious and Naomi.

Sherill
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
precious's mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by precious's mom »

Just spoke with Dr. Amy - her ACTH test results do not indicate that she is "crashing" or that she is over suppressed. Mystery? Not sure what exactly is going on with my girl. We slept OK last not, but not great. I kept waking up to be sure that Precious was alright.

So, I will give her another anti-nauseau pill and take her to the vet for the afternoon. I have to got to work for a bit, so I did not want her to be alone.

Right now, she has a sad face on and it laying down. She can get up and move around if she wants, I guess she just doesn't feel like it. Poor girl. I wish we would find out what is going on with her.

I'll be in touch later tonight after I pick her back up from the vet.

Missi :(
Missi

Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Oh Missi hang in there, you are doing everything you can. my thoughts will be with you and precious all day
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

missi, im sorry to hear that precious is still under the weather. hang in there. she will get better. try and have a good day at work. i know its hard. your mind will be on her all afternoon. we are here for you. hugs from us.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I am very happy to hear she is feeling better. Isn't great to have them home with you where you can see how they are.
SweetPea Rocks!!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Mystery? Not sure what exactly is going on with my girl."

The symptoms you are describing are just some of the listed *side effects* of the med.
precious's mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by precious's mom »

Kiwani - Hi! just curious, you mean side effects of the Trilostane? or one of the other meds she's on right now? would love your input.

to fill in the gaps here for you - She was off her Trilo for 5 days, then started her back at a lower dosage (30 mg instead of 60 mg) and she was on that for 5 days before she began throwing up. It's just so odd to me because even when we started her trilostane back in November, she never had any of these side effects. Maybe on of the other meds is bothering her? possible?

Missi
Missi

kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "you mean side effects of the Trilostane?"

The vomitting, lethargy, digestive problems, depression, etc., are some of the side-effects of trilostane. It's not meant to be used long term either. The doctor is supposed to give you drug *safety info* with each med, which lists all the problems of the drug(s). Don't be surprised if the doctor hasn't read it either...

http://www.drugs.com/cons/trilostane.html
precious's mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by precious's mom »

Thank you Kiwani - you are very thoughtful...........and quick too! I appreciate the response and will read up.
Missi

WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Poor baby...hopefully she is feeling better. It is so hard when our pets are sick. If they could only tell us exactly what doesn't feel well.

Get better Precious!
precious's mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by precious's mom »

Kiwani - Hey, thanks for the link - it reminded me that there is a post I read through the canine cushings board I belong to. We have the pamphlets available to us there also from the drug company (arnolds) that makes or produces the vetoryl (the UK version of trilostane). Here's what it said too -

4.6 Adverse reactions (frequency and seriousness)

Corticosteroid withdrawal syndrome or hypocortisolaemia should be distinguished from hypoadrenocorticism by evaluation of serum electrolytes.
Signs associated with iatrogenic hypoadrenocorticism, including weakness, lethargy, anorexia, vomiting and diarrhoea may occur, particularly if monitoring is not adequate (see 4.9). Signs are generally reversible within a variable period following withdrawal of treatment. Acute Addisonian crisis (collapse) may also occur (see 4.10). Lethargy, vomiting, diarrhoea and anorexia have been seen in dogs treated with trilostane in the absence of evidence of hypoadrenocorticism.
There have been occasional isolated reports of adrenal necrosis in treated dogs which may result in hypoadrenocorticism.
Subclinical renal dysfunction may be unmasked by treatment with the product.
Treatment may unmask arthritis due to a reduction in endogenous corticosteroid levels.
A small number of reports have been received of sudden death during treatment.
Other mild, rare, adverse effects include ataxia, hypersalivation, bloating, muscle tremors and skin changes

I think the thing that troubles me most right now is that the symptoms she is having are like before we ever diagnosed or started her on the trilo. Like the part I high lighted - "in the absence of hypoadrenocorticism" It could be possible that her cushings is in remission and she does not need the meds right now. Although, her ACTH numbers are not indicitive of being in remission or being Addison's.

Everyone I converse with who has a cushings dog it seems like these symptoms subside with treatment. Meaning that their dog was like this prior to treamtment, but with treatment, they improved. A small group that actually end up with these side effects; but it's usually because their dog has ended up in Addison's crisis. Precious isn't there. I definitly know that we are dealing with a dangerous drug, but the option of not treating her for the Cushings isn't good either. That excess cortisol rots away their insides. I wanted to reassure you that Dr. Amy is actually very knowlegable about treating Cushings and has done extensive reading and training in this arena. We did talk a lot about this disease and drug before treatment began. I also have great resources available to me through the cushings board.

I hope no one doubts that I truely am trying to do what is best for Precious and that I am doing so very well informed and not going into this blindly. Not insinuating that anyone might doubt, I want to be sure that somehow that is not questioned. I don't want to be one of those people, you know? I know we all go way above and beyond to take care of our furbabies. I am so thankful for this group and the wonderful people you all are. All of your thought and opinions are valued.

I'll let you know how she is doing later tonight.
Missi

precious's mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by precious's mom »

I just spoke with Dr. Amy. Precious is doing very well there this afternoon. She is eating well, urine is good and all the physical exams they have done on her are good. Even in their words - "Wow, she is remarkable for an almost 15 year old." Normal older doggie stuff, but doing pretty good. After all the labs and xrays and exams, nothing wrong found - which is great.

My husband is on his way to pick her up. It will be nice to have these past few days behind us.

Here is a very vunerable question for you all that I realize could end up bitting me in the butt; however, here it goes.............. do you think that our chows react to how we are feeling? I am baring a very wounded soul here, so please, be kind - but this last week I have been in a pretty deep depression and I just wonder if this is upsetting her? I think it would make me even more sad if somehow she was down because I am down.
Missi

Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

precious's mom wrote: ... this last week I have been in a pretty deep depression and I just wonder if this is upsetting her? I think it would make me even more sad if somehow she was down because I am down.
Missi, I believe it is the opposite (well in my case this is how my chows would respond/react). If you are feeling down, yes, chows are sensitive and will sense that in you, however, and depending on your chows personality, they will try their hardest to get your mood back up or divert your energies into an upswing. I think once Precious is home, you'll see what I mean. I believe if anything, they don't like their parent (s) feeling down and will go out of their way to turn your mood around.

Example: Our family chow, Sunztu, we took a walk on the beach once and the sun was ready to set. I wasn't feeling all to fired-up at the time. So while walking, he found this log and directed me to sit on it. I did, he walked upwards from the surf and all of a sudden, a wave hit me. I looked at him and he had a big, big smile on his face, so I just ended up laughing. Here I thought he found me the perfect spot to watch the sunset, instead, he wanted me to get hit by the wave, so I wouldn't be so solemn. I also have wonderful stories of Zhuyo and Pooh Bear getting me to snap out of my funky moods.

I hope this comforts you.
precious's mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by precious's mom »

Lou, thank you. That is very kind. I just got home from puppy class with Naomi and she is happy to see me. Infact, she just came in the study to be by me again. I already spend a good deal of time with the girls, but I am going to make a concerted effort to spend alone time with both of them also.

I do see that she is feeling better tonight and has that smile on her face again.
Missi

Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I'm glad she's feeling better and I agree with Lou, they do read your moods and when you're down they try to help you get back up, either by doing some weird or silly to make you laugh or just begging to be petted cause they know that you giving them a tunny rub or a back rub makes you feel good too.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
JAYGOW1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JAYGOW1 »

Glad things are going good !!! Here's to a full, speedy recovery !!! :D
I really miss my purple kisses!!! RIP Bear, my bestest friend EVER !!
7-20-2006

Khon,you were taken WAY too early !
Til we meet again, my friend
3-24-2007