I've read about prevention, but how do I cure a hot spot?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

I've read about prevention, but how do I cure a hot spot?

Post by dchernandez »

Hello everybody,
As my subject says how in the heck do a cure a hot spot without having to take Riley to the vet?

I did a search around the forum and found lots of great of advice on how to prevent hot spots but I had a hard time finding how to remedy the problem. Its in his front paw so it makes things difficult since he will continue to lick that area.

Also, do the hot spot sprays they sell at places like PetSmart or Petco work?

Thanks, any advice will do :roll:
Claudia & Riley
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Dc, read my post some times.

If its just typical hot spots like allot of our Chows get you can buy Hotspot spray at pet-smart or Pet-co. Once you spray the spot he won't be knawing on it so you can take off the cone. The Vets have a better hot spot spray, it works faster and doesn't smell. The spray they sell at pet smart has alovera (sp) in it, that stuff stinks and Pekoe hates it and the smell. The vets spray she doesn't mind. I hate anything with a smell so I can't stand the stuff.

Pekoe hasn't had a bath in a along time, I was just thinking the other day she also hasn't had any hot spots, dry skin or itching problems in awhile. Maybe a combing and occasional wipe down with a wet towel is all they need.

http://www.bluestuff.com/product.aspx?p ... C=advanced

http://www.biconet.com/pets/spotSpray.html

http://www.healthyplanetrx.com/Totally_ ... df-hss.htm

http://www.planetnatural.com/cgi-bin/pl ... et-shampoo

If you plan on Breeding (shame Shame) becareful of some of the prescription Sprays they have a warning it may be bad for pregnant dogs, causing damage to the puppy's.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

Thanks Jeff....obviously I lack searching skills :oops: ..... :lol:
Claudia & Riley
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

The second link, Veterinarian's Best Hot Spot Spray I have a bottle of that, havn't used it yet though, they sell it at Pet-smart maybe Petco but Pet-smart forsure.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Judy has a home made cure she uses. You add enough salt to water to just taste it, (like a cup of water I think) and then you dab that on the hot spot. It will sting a bit at first, but then it dries up the spot and cleans it. Also it he licks it, it won't hurt him. Judy says it works fine.

I haven't had a chow with a hot spot in years, no baths. Just lots of brushing and a wiping of feet.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

So I bought some spray at Petco and it worked for a little bit then later during the night he started licking his paw. It made him gag but he kept doing it :oops: ...I don't know what to do now. Maybe I'll try the salt with warm water tonight :cry:
Claudia & Riley
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

My cure for a hot-spot is as Victory says, get some warm water and add salt in, enough to taste it. Wash the area and it will sting a little. Then pat the area dry with a soft cloth and then rub in some antisceptic ointment in. This tip was given to me by our vet you is now retired - saves on injections and pills!
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

What kind of antiseptic should I use??
Claudia & Riley
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I use a brand call 'Lotil'.

Ingredients are water,glyceryl stearate SE, flycerin, lanolin alchohol, benzyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol, aleic acid, triethanolamine, stearic acid, p-choloro-m-cresol. if that means anything.

I suppose any brand antiseptic would do - Savlon, Germolene - I don't know what brands you have over The Pond. Also, a baby's nappy-rash ointment - very soothing and I am blowed if I can remember the name! :roll: :roll:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

Thanks for the advice...his little paw is starting to look much better :)
Claudia & Riley
Chows5
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chows5 »

For most Hot Spots, Gold Bond powder will dry them up within a couple of days. Since it's on his paw, is it a Hot Spot or is it an interdigital cyst? I recently had one with a cyst between his toes and sprayed a mixture of half water and half Listerine on it and in no time it was gone. It stings a little, but Listerine works wonders and so does Lysol spray.
I balked at this until I actually tried it myself.

Carolyn[/img]
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

My previous chow Luna had hotspots three times a year. They'd crop up overnight.

I used baby diaper cream. Penaten. It's readily available in Canada, not sure if you get it in the US.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI