my chow is a little possive and kinda mean to everyone but m

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

bluebanebob
Rank 0
Rank 0

my chow is a little possive and kinda mean to everyone but m

Post by bluebanebob »

:( my dog is 5 yr old and hes kinda mean he like me but he has a little problem with everyone else. my dad can go near him sometimes and some times not the same with my wife. he was tangled up one day and he growed at me. Hes tried to bite my dad . my wife and he hates kids what s the deal with him and what can i do to provent this happening .
you cant wear hats or mask near him or he will bite. i got him from a ladey that signed his papers to me and everything. he love the snow and cold weather. could he be sick and dont want to be bothered or is there another problem with him. what can i do so he can be around more people. he dose this mostly were he stays but on a chain he different dog completely. please help
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Where did you get your Chow and how long have you had him? Please don't chain your Chow - that is bad for a Chow or any dog for that manner. Chows are territorial. Your Chow has adopted you and is "protecting" you from others. Others on this site can give you alot of guidance but we need more information on the background if you know it. Is he a rescue?

Karen
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

I agree with Kingalls, we need more information.
How long have you had him? Have he always been like that`?
wrat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wrat »

I have to agree with King please dont chain your dog for starters..and more info is needed
TigerTiger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TigerTiger »

I noticed for your earlier post, you mentioned that your chowling is chained outside in your yard all the time..........I think that is definitely the reason why he is agreesive........Chows have such free spirit, should never be chained like that..........
bluebanebob
Rank 0
Rank 0

blue

Post by bluebanebob »

his name is bluebanebob

i do take him off his chain and go for walks every day.......
i love my fluffy bear.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

He doesn't sound to much different in temperament then my Chow, She growls and snaps at people she doesn't know and if she really doesn't want to be bothered will growl and snap at people she does know, she pretty much only wants me around and this attitude sure doesn't come from being chained up, the only chain she see's is the gold one around her neck.

My advice is to get him off that chain and into the house so he can see who belongs and who doesn't, like the others I don't agree with the chaining but if you are chaining him for his safety while you are gone that might be a different story, If he is chained outside all the time then I think in his mind you are the only one that should be anywhere around that house. Take him in the house for a couple of hours aday, tell the other people to ignore him, don't try to touch him or feed him then let your Chow wonder around the house, see who's who and get all the smells, don't let anyone bother him, not to even look at him and let the chow come to them, a couple of days of this and he should be ok towards your dad and wife.

As for the hats and mask, if they bother him quit wearing them around him.I'm not really into all this physiological, by the book, the trainer says stuff, just put your self in his place and think how you would feel and work from there. You do have to get him off that chian tho even after the walks.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

bluebanebob wrote:
"you cant wear hats or mask near him or he will bite."

---

Chows make blanket judgements. If a person with a hat hurt or scared him when he was a pup, then *all* people with hats are the bad guys. If any child with a mask scared or hurt him, then children and masks get on the danger list in his brain. Chows map out all these categories of people when they are young. That's why they need to be socialized with good experiences as pups from tall, short, fat, thin, young, old, uniformed people, etc.
etc.

If people in hats start giving him special treats from a safe distance, then his brain would create a category that 'hats equal special treats' too. You start building stronger positive associations alongside the negative associations in his brain.