My "mean and viscious" chow........just had a tea

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

My "mean and viscious" chow........just had a tea

Post by Guest »

LOL, and that "evaluator" said that he shouldn't be around kids........look what he would've missed out on........

kumathechow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kumathechow »

how adorable!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Don't ever lose those pictures, they need to be published and showen to all the so called Chow know it alls that say Kids and Chows don't mix.
and posted in every animal sheltor and vets office.
Classic picture.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

I agree with Jeff... they say a picture can say 1,000 words and those 2 pics say it all. Isn't it funny how people love to dwell on the bad reputation chows have and you never, ever hear or see anything like this except from a chow owner. I had Koda in where I work last Monday and evryone loved him. Tuesday someone asked me why I had a chow... "aren't they mean?" <shaking head> I told the person... no, chows are not born mean, people make them mean by not treating them the right way. Jimmy said that wasn't what he'd heard and I asked him if he had heard that from a chow owner. He hadn't. Surprise, surprise.
Beautiful, beautiful pictures. :)
Nancy and Tai

sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

I also agree. I get so tired of hearing people say Chows are mean, chows bite, chows are wired wrong....always spoken from a non-chow owner. Then they will say Chows start off good then go mean when they are older.

I love the pictures. I hope you post them everywhere.
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :D
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

When Shiloh came into our lives, a friend completely advised against us keeping her. His reaction was "Oh, no - not a Chow - you don't want a Chow"...he went to alot of effort to discourage us from keeping Shiloh even though she's a mix. He told us of all the terrible traits of the Chow...which wasn't exactly what I was reading from websites and books. I'm so glad we didn't listen to such ignorance.
Guess who I'll be sharing these pictures with :lol:

Karen
simbasmom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simbasmom »

I love the pictures chewie sure is a little gentleman having tea :lol:
And you guys sure are right.. I have talked to alot of non chow people and everyone says they never met a chow they liked.. Well I personally have never met a chow I didn't love.

Post by Guest »

Thanks so much!!
You are all free to print these out and post them where ever you want! Chi-Ching is almost 6 months old and Caitlyn is almost 4. Go spread "good chow" karma! LOL

LOL, I have noticed that too, NEVER do I hear anything bad about chows from a chow owner BUT when you ask the person that says they are bad, it is always a friend of theirs that owned one.
And then, have you ever notice how many people own chows? Yet, I never see any! Everyone I talk to says "I know someone that has a chow, Do you know them?" (Like all the chow owners of the world get together and talk once a week and have secret club meetings and we should all know each other) OR they say "I used to own a chow" (Did you know how many people USED to own Chows???!! LOL)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

There is a club like that-ChowChow.org...lol! The day after we got Lily we went to pet smart to pick up supplies. As we were walking in, A grissly looking guy spotted us and asked, "Is that there a Chow?" I said yes, and he added, " I had me a Chow once-stupid dogs!" I didn't have a reply for him, then he added, "Stupid dogs! Went away fer 3 months, n when I come back, he bit me! Damn stupid dogs!" At which point I said in my most empathetic voice, "Ah yes...well...we can't blame the dog for that!", and we walked away. I explained to my daughter who was shocked by the man that it was a case of the dog being smarter than the man, and he surely deserved a bite, and more. I also mentioned that the smell of Jail probably put the Chow off... :lol:

Post by Guest »

LOL!! I have told someone once who said something similar to that, I think he said, 'is that a chow? I have met a few of them and they have all been mean", remember saying something to the effect of "well, dogs can sense things about people......I don't think that a cow is the only breed that you will have problems with" and I just walked away, the guy was standing there with his mouth open in shock. LOL
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

A couple of days after I had gotten Sasha, I was talking on the phone to my father (he is elderly and very set in his ways and opinions and thinks he is RIGHT and everyone else is WRONG and there is NO changing his mind) and he jumped all over me for getting a chow. Amber and Ashley were 4 or 5 when we were blessed with Sasha. He kept telling me how mean and disobedient they are, how Sasha would bite the girls, I'm sure all of you have heard the same things. My brother had owned an Akita that he had rescued and it ended up attacking my step mom. Really did alot of damage to her arm. So I did have to understand his concern... but like I told him, that was an Akita and one that had been a rescue at that, not a chow and all the years of breeding huskies when I was a kid, all he ever taught me was, there are NO bad dogs, just bad owners. Now all of a sudden there are bad dogs? I don't think so. He did his best to talk me into getting rid of Sasha and getting a different puppy. Said he'd even pay for a different breed of pup. Of course it didn't work, and of course he was wrong. I have never owned or seen a more gentler, loving dog, than my Sasha girl was. The girls played with her, rolled all over her, jumped and played in the snow with them and was totally devoted to protecting her human sisters. Amber and Sasha would lay on the floor in front of the television with Amber using Sasha's tummy as a pillow. Amber, Ashley and Sasha loved sitting in the middle of the floor with McDonald's french fries taking turns eating them. And as gross as this sounds, I don't mean, a french fry for you, and one for me, it was you take a bite and I'll take a bite of the same french fry. LOL Sasha never snapped or tried to take the french fry... she took her turn taking a bite. I'm the wrong person to tell that chows are mean. I agree, some of it is their temprement, but the majority of how they turn out is how they are raised and handeled... you treat them with love and respect, they will return that 100 fold. If Koda turns out to be half as loving and gentle as Sasha was, I will be one happy chow owner. I have never, ever heard another chow owner talk down the breed. It's always been someone who has never owned a chow. Stupid people!
Nancy and Tai

wrat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wrat »

great pic..and yep people can be dumb...but its up to the smart ones to educate
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

I agree that the photos look innocent and sweet, but I'm going to offer the unpopular opinion. I agree that the evaluator wasn't qualified, and caused *harm*, but the reason she was involved to begin with, was because of all the growling, biting incidents you've reported here, and the problems with pup/child hierachy you've described. Neutering the pup earlier than usual doesn't erase the memories he's already formed.

Having the pup elevated on a chair, on equal terms, again raises his hierarchy rank. I do understand that this is just a staged photo for sweet effect, but it does send a message, and broadcasting it far and wide can get some child hurt, if the family doesn't understand Chows. None of this is written to hurt your feelings in any way. You are a trainer, familiar with Chows, and still there were some serious problems.
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

Thank God Chows are not considered a dangerouse breed here in Norway. :D
(So, i've never had any people react when I take my Chow for a walk)
And that picture is just adorable.. :D

And for Kiwani's response.
It depends how you see it, as for me, not a believer in Rank.
(Human vs dogs)
So this causes no problems to me. Just innocent play.

And yes, may the Chow never be a popular breed again.
That only causes problems.

But for what you said about children getting hurt if the family doesn't understand the breed. That goes for all breeds.
Treat the dog wrong, and people will get hurt. Not depending on the breed.
kumathechow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kumathechow »

While we were in the process of getting Kuma my friend's mom tried so hard to talk us out of it. We were already in love with her, and there was no turning back. Kuma was the only dog at the shelter that fit our personality. Now that everyone knows Kuma, they adore her.
Joe & Robin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Joe & Robin »

Can we add this? It Speaks for it's self. These two love each other.

View Full Size at Glowfoto
Joe, Robin & Mai Tai

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

I had a blast taking pictures of my grandaughter before she moved away. She loved her dogs, still does only she just turned 2 and has forgotten our doggie rules. Anyway, I could show all kinds of pictures showing how a chow can be around young ones. Wherever Ashlyn was so was my dogs.
Princess and Ashlyn picking "flowers"

This is where Gracie and Ashlyn played alot in the summer.

kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

If you've followed his story, you know that this pup acted aggressively towards one child and inflicted a facial injury, so rank does matter.
Taz wrote: "But for what you said about children getting hurt if the family doesn't understand the breed. That goes for all breeds.
Treat the dog wrong, and people will get hurt. Not depending on the breed."

---
I responded as I did concerning the distribution of the staged picture, because of all the aggression problems discussed about this particular Chow, especially concerning the older child.

I responded because we already have too many people in the USA buying Chows on a whim, just because the pups look like cuddly toys. We don't need to encourage more. We have Chow merchandising depicting these dogs in ballerina outfits, in baby bonnets, Easter hats, etc. and people who know nothing about the breed temperament get the idea that these dogs would make good play things for children.

The shelters and rescues are already receiving the discarded Chow pups who were early Christmas gifts that didn't 'work out' as playthings.

Post by Guest »

Um, Kiwani, I just wanted to say that this was NOT a "staged" picture. My daughters frequently have tea parties with the dogs.

I have also found out about the "incidents" with my older daughter, at one point, she had accidently stepped on the puppy's foot(Judy, you were right, sorry about getting defensive about that) anyway, After working out a training schedule with Chingers and her, they have become GREAT buddies. As far as the incident with my younger daughter and her getting bit, I think that that was also due to my other daughters accident. Since I have incorporated my daughters into the training, both Koda and Chi-Ching have alot more respect for them and vice versa.
I NEVER reccomend Chows for people(it is not because of the dogs, I just don't trust the people), I love this breed like you wouldn't believe, but I had never had a purebred Chow puppy before Chingers, I have done alot of foster care but that is typically only a few weeks at a time, most of my rescue consisted of the animals staying at the shelter and my finding homes for them.
I attribute NONE of Chingers earlier "incidents" with him or his breed, I feel that I was uneducated in a few areas, I have since done ALOT more research. I do know that Chows have a VERY wrong misrepresentation for their breed. Their are ALOT of breeds that I would NEVER reccomend. People are stupid, plain and simple. MOST people shouldn't be trusted with a stick much less a living creature. I would NEVER place a chow into a home with someone that has not done extensive research. Granted no one can know everything, and that was my mistake, not researching the "puppyness" of a chow, but I have learned from my mistake and I do not think that it is a bad thing to show people that Chows are not the evil monster that they are made out to be. If anything, this picture should show you what persistance and not giving up and what training can do. I could have gotten rid of Chingers after his first show of aggression, but I did NOT. I love my boy and want him to be a great representation of his breed.
Although this picture was not staged, I would be damn proud to stage one if it helped get the many innocent chows that are being put to sleep everyday unjustly a little better reputation. I think that helping the chows reputation should have nothing to do with educating the public and teaching them what kind of owner it really takes to own a chow. Maybe getting pet stores that buy from brokers and mills to stop selling Chows to just anyone. Or even shelters that do not screen. There are alot better ways to help this breed then worrying about a picture that shows what a chow is REALLY like. This is something that my girls do with BOTH my dogs, about once or twice a week. Chingy has learned that he gets cookies when he sits there, trust me it didn't take long for him to start liking it.
Regardless, my kids and my boy get along great and will continue to have fun and enjoy their tea parties together.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I am saying nothing! :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)

Post by Guest »

LOL Judy!! My daughter was so afraid she was going to get in trouble. I do know it was an accident but I have explained THOROUGHLY that if she would have told me sooner, I may have been able to fix things sooner. She promised to make sure to tell me if anything else ever happens.
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

kiwani wrote:If you've followed his story, you know that this pup acted aggressively towards one child and inflicted a facial injury, so rank does matter.
Taz wrote: "But for what you said about children getting hurt if the family doesn't understand the breed. That goes for all breeds.
Treat the dog wrong, and people will get hurt. Not depending on the breed."

---
I responded as I did concerning the distribution of the staged picture, because of all the aggression problems discussed about this particular Chow, especially concerning the older child.

I responded because we already have too many people in the USA buying Chows on a whim, just because the pups look like cuddly toys. We don't need to encourage more. We have Chow merchandising depicting these dogs in ballerina outfits, in baby bonnets, Easter hats, etc. and people who know nothing about the breed temperament get the idea that these dogs would make good play things for children.

The shelters and rescues are already receiving the discarded Chow pups who were early Christmas gifts that didn't 'work out' as playthings.

Yes, i do understand your concern.
And I agree. There is too many people buying Chows on a whim.
But that goes for all breeds as well.
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

Ohh, I loved this picture. :D
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

I know Judy said she wasn't going to say anything, but I guess I just don't have the restraint that she does. LOL I agree 100% with Chowlover and do feel that pictures like the ones she posted shed a good light on the bad reputation of the chow breed. No matter what the breed, if you treat it bad, refuse to work on socialization, training and being around kids, then they are not going to be good dogs. And it's not the dogs who refuse to do those things, it's the owners. I have my doubts as to whether those pics were staged, come on.... we all own chows. How many of us could get our chows to do something like sit at a kiddies table and drink tea long enough to get pictures if they didn't want to do it? I don't know how much older Chingers is than Koda, but I can't even imagine making Koda sit like that in a position that he is not used to, long enough to take pics. Chingers may have been put at the table, but unless he was having a good time and wanted to be there, he would not have been there long enough to get the adorable pics. He's a chow. They do have a mind of their own. I agree, too many people adopt chow puppies because they are so cute, and then end up dumping them because the owners aren't educated, aren't responsible, decide they are too much trouble, whatever. I have an extra pure bred chow puppy here with me right now trying to find a good home for him because the people that had him had to get rid of him because they were not responsible enough to think twice before they adopted it because of their housing situation. They knew both my daughters and I have chows, so they called us and asked us if we would take him since they didn't have the time to find him a new home. So I'm in the process of trying to re-home him to a good family and will keep him until I find one. So believe me, I do understand. But I do feel that anything we can do to shed a better light on the chow breed, should be done. If pictures help, then so be it.
Nancy and Tai