Justice for Chow-chow petition

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Fidel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Justice for Chow-chow petition

Post by Fidel »

If you are interested this petition involves a FAKE chow chow rescue that has been taking money and not helping the dogs! Court date is Feb 20 I believe. Check it out!

http://www.petitiononline.com/53378/petition.html
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

Hi Fidel,

I think the petition is an older one. Court date was 2/18/03. Also the chow rights yahoo forum link isn't valid anymore. Good to see you surf for animal welfare causes though! Keep it up.

Take care,
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Fidel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fidel »

Ah thank you. I was just looking around with my mommy. Hopefully the world will quit looking at chow chows as a bad breed and the owners as bad owners......
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

This was a really sad case - KLS (Kathryn Langdon-Sparks) was a very glib person who I "knew" through a chow email list back in the late 1990's. She talked frequently about her dogs and her "rescue" and how wonderful it all was. To read her messages on the email list, you would have thought that the welfare of the chows in her possession was more important to her than anything else. She also had a very nice website ..

But, like others I've come across over the years, she had a made-up personality online and her reality was quite different. She neglected and abused the "rescued" dogs under her care. People were shocked to find how much she had lied and how the money she collected certainly did not benefit the dogs.

You can see more about her and see a photo of one of the chows rescued from her at http://snowchows.homestead.com/snowchows.html .

What is sad is that she merely got a $1000 fine and couldn't have pets for two years. During that time she maintained a website on chows, however (it's now down). And her restriction on keeping animals is now over so she can once again own dogs. Here's a report from the OSPCA who investigated:

February 2003 - RENFREW
"Four Renfrew residents have been charged with animal cruelty following an OSPCA investigation.
UPDATE: Pled Guilty - Kathryn Langdon-Sparks was fined $1000.00, faces a two-year prohibition from owning or having custody or control of any animals or birds and a two-year probation forbidding her to reside with any animals. Ceilidh Larocque was fined $500.00, and also faces a two-year prohibition from owning animals and the same two-year probation. The court granted Ceilidh and her family permission to continue to live with their cat, with the condition that the Ontario SPCA will inspect to ensure the cat's safety. The charges against Steven Warren and Austin Larocque were dropped by the Crown Attorney."

It's always "buyer beware" especially online. It's sad that anyone would pretend to be a rescue and in the meantime neglect and abuse dogs. Personally I wish that she had been banned for life from owning dogs. And if anyone on here happens to run across any reports of her selling or breeding or "rescuing" - please let us all know so that we can warn the world about this animal abuser!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska