Chow breader news story (not good)

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Probably someone selling precanned websites at a dog show somewhere. I hope the buyers got a good price -- the sites reek.
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

poor lolly

Post by bubba »

Poor Lolly ,
been working Chow for 40 year, got old , got tired , can't keep up with the endless chores involved , don't know when to slow down , still thinks she can do all the things she did when she was a young fresh girl , we were in on the dawning of the Age of Aquaris together , , i wish i could help her ..
here from the Angry Chow Ranch

and the pack closes in on the old weak one , snapping and biting ,tearing her to bits , it probably rips her heart out ..she loves her chow ,

are chow like that will they kill the old and weak , or will they allow the old and tired to rest their head between their feet and drift away in the night , over the bridge to join those who wait ..
only the great chow mind knows

makes me want to cry
m

Post by Guest »

Poor Lolly????? Whatever!!! How about poor Chows!!!! :evil:
Breathless
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Breathless »

guest was a very angry me
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

old and weak and the pack will rip you to bits .. lolly loves her chows , it is an often found thing a dog or animal lover will let the love take controle .. we all have seen the reports of the old folks with 500 cats , justs love them so much and too old to take care //

the angry chow ranch where every mean bitin' sonofabich can find a home
Last edited by bubba on Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Breathless
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Breathless »

Yes I might get old but unlike Lolly I'm not breeding any dogs and never will. Those wackos with the 500 cats are at least taken care of by the authorities versus nobody seems to give a damn about Lolly's animal abuse. If you have 10 kids and can't take care of them childservices will come for you too. There's no excuse...age whatever...my parents are older than her...and they don't have a freaking zoo at home.
dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

Somebody needs to stick her fat butt in a small house with 40+ other people and see how she feels [-( . Poor babies :cry:
WorknChowz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WorknChowz »

One would imagine that if someone loves dogs so much and the dogs just happen to provide thousands of dollars a year in income, that one might provide decent care for them and not throw them around the room and otherwise terrorize them!
Decent people make provisions for their animals if they cannot care for them for whatever reason. Kennel help, downsizing, reduction in the breeding of even more. But then that might cut down on profits, might that?...
Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I don't know...old and slow, I'd still be picking the poop up off of the floor. She isn't a collector if she's selling them 1200 dollars a pup and churning out 6 litters a year. That's milling. She has a sloth problem, not an age problem. She was toting them water buckets like nobody's business. I also was appalled at the patio area I saw one cream standing in...looked like a small shack fell and they just left the debrise. She could have it cleared out professionally with just the fraction of the price of a pup.
ChowMania
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ChowMania »

"She isn't a collector if she's selling them 1200 dollars a pup and churning out 6 litters a year. That's milling."
Try 78 litters in the last 7.5 years. That's 10 litters per year. (This info came directly from her own website)Let's do the math:

78 litters X 6 dogs per litter on average = 468 puppies
Times that by $1200 per pup.

Yes that equates to over $550,000 over the last 7.5 years or almost $75,000 per year.

And she is licensed as a NON-COMMERCIAL breeder, whatever!!!

Those dogs are not her "Babies", they are her cash crop. She does not treat them "Like her children" she treats them like livestock (or even worse).

I wonder what the Oregon State Tax Commission and the IRS think about all of this. I wonder if she has paid even $1 in sales, state (if applicable in Oregon) or federal income tax on any of this.

Does anyone have the number to the IRS's "Hotline" handy?
ChowMania
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ChowMania »

and the pack closes in on the old weak one , snapping and biting ,tearing her to bits
Lolly lets it happen at her house to her "Babies"...Payback is a *****!!!
Last edited by ChowMania on Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Breathless
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Breathless »

I googled it....numbers for tax fraud are on this site

https://www.oag.state.tx.us/newspubs/we ... 303tax.pdf
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

.. and the story goes on .. she's responding to some of it by saying that the video was mostly made up, and that they take good care of their dogs.

Which, of course, we would expect her to say.

To be fair, chow litters are generally more around the 4 puppy mark, and of the eight litters she had last year it looks like there was one litter of five, and the rest were three or less puppies. The litter of nine she has now is in addition to a litter of five and a litter of one.

Anyone who breeds multiple bitches at the same time, however, is not doing it for the good of the dogs or puppies. There's just no way to keep up with that many.

She also says she doesn't do it for the money - that they don't need the money. Well, I say GOOD then. It won't create any difficulty for her to stop producing so many litters.

Michael, it's not so much a matter of closing in on someone weak .. it's a matter of outrage at what is happening to these dogs. Surely you, someone willing to take on dogs of difficult personality, can understand that puppies raised in that manner - raised in fear - will often turn out to be those adult dogs that end up in shelters because they turned out to be fear biters. Surely you would concede that something NEEDS to be done.

I'm not in competition with Lolly in ANY way. I don't show in her world, I've never sold puppies, etc. So it's not a matter of my feeling like I want to take her out. I want what is best FOR THE DOGS. So does WorknChowz. It certainly is not easy being the one to stand up and say "this is WRONG". But you know what? Since she has chosen to do that, there are people coming out everywhere saying "yeah, I've been there and it was bad". This is not just one person anymore. Reports of problems are on record dating back five years.

People like this need to be stopped. Everyone on this forum has either experienced first-hand a chow with fear issues or has read accounts of those with chows like that. A good breeder breeds for temperament and then follows that up with kind, careful socialization. Puppies, even chow puppies, are naturally inquisitive and curious - not frozen in fear. Those of us who love the breed MUST stand up and say "this is wrong!".

If we don't do it, who will?

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I agree with everything Melanie said, and I also want to say, that rather than "tearing" her apart. By us or others trying to end this situation we are also helping HER health. The conditions in that house are not only unhealthy for the chows, but extemely unhealthy for any humans. Breathing in the fumes of amonia from urine can cause phenumonea and other upper respitory illnesses. The feces can lead to infections of many types. Add to that the dangers of tripping over a puppie or dog which can result in broken bones and for an older person that can lead to other problems.

This is the reason people in "cat" houses are moved on; it's not just to assist the cats but also to help the people.

It doesn't make any difference if she has a mental illness, or she's doing it for profit, the truth is this is an very unhealthy situation for everyone concerned.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Victory, you are absolutely right.

Lolly also says she has COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, a respiratory disorder) and I can't imagine how living in that environment can be good for her - and it may have even caused the problem.

I've seen people who are "hoarders" who have such a terrible time getting rid of things. It's bad enough when it's non-living stuff, but when we're talking dogs or other living creatures then it becomes extremely sad and extremely unhealthy. I can't imagine why anyone would want to have 40 dogs to start with. To give a dog a good life, you have to have time to spend with that dog and there's no way a person can spend quality time daily with 40 dogs. And raising puppies .. man, that's WORK. I've never bred my own dogs but when I was a vet tech I helped raise pups - once it was a litter of ten that we raised from birth as orphans, which meant NO bitch to help feed and clean. And yet, even with ten puppies, there was never a time when they were allowed to wallow in urine and feces. It was time-consuming, yes, and there were a few of us doing it together. I used to drive in from home to the clinic (ten miles one way) for the 1 a.m. feeding and cleaning.

This lady needs help, but I will admit my biggest concern is with the dogs. They haven't chosen to be put into that situation and the descriptions of their fear of the breeder really upsets me. That bothers me MUCH more than the urine and feces does, to tell you the truth. We need chows out there with exemplary temperaments and raising them to be fearful at that young of an age is not a good start.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Hi,

I notified a few *good, reputable* breeders, one of them is a dog show judge. He and others have heard about it. It's now in the hands of the Chow Chow Club Inc. and the American Kennel Club. If you, the members here feel so strongly about it, email all Chow organizations and let them close up this chow breeding joint. I am old too, 62, I don't feel and don't look old. But I had enough hindsight not to adopt a chow baby. I adopted a 3 year old. I'd love to adopt more chows. But I have 2 surgeries coming up, would be kinda dumb to expect my friends to take care of my furkids. Lolly being old is no excuse. Here in Canada a few breeders closed shop, have retired and are now happy and content with the 6 or 8 chows they will keep till whatever.........I was also told 2 other breeder were forced to close due to old age, ill health. One is still breeding out of her house. For extra money under the table. Wait till the taxman comes, both in Canada and the US it's a criminal offence not to pay income tax.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

ChowMania
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ChowMania »

sit_by_the_beach wrote:Hi,

I notified a few *good, reputable* breeders, one of them is a dog show judge. He and others have heard about it. It's now in the hands of the Chow Chow Club Inc. and the American Kennel Club. If you, the members here feel so strongly about it, email all Chow organizations and let them close up this chow breeding joint. I am old too, 62, I don't feel and don't look old. But I had enough hindsight not to adopt a chow baby. I adopted a 3 year old. I'd love to adopt more chows. But I have 2 surgeries coming up, would be kinda dumb to expect my friends to take care of my furkids. Lolly being old is no excuse. Here in Canada a few breeders closed shop, have retired and are now happy and content with the 6 or 8 chows they will keep till whatever.........I was also told 2 other breeder were forced to close due to old age, ill health. One is still breeding out of her house. For extra money under the table. Wait till the taxman comes, both in Canada and the US it's a criminal offence not to pay income tax.
CCCI and the AKC will do absolutely nothing about this breeder. They have known about her for YEARS! As long as she pays her dues and fees, keeps her paperwork in order and keeps her microchips/DNA current then they will do absolutely NOTHING. They don't care about the conditions or the dogs, the only thing the CCCI and the AKC care to protect is their "Bottom Line".

It took someone with a lot of guts to finally notify the news after discovering that everyone (including county AC and Portland HS) would do absolutely NOTHING!

It took a news reporter with as much guts to do this story in the first place and now the news reporter has taken it a step further and now county zoning is doing something about it.

COUNTY ZONING??? What is wrong with this picture? Why does AC even exist? AC has "No Teeth" and "NO GUTS" as far as I'm concerned.
The HS has "shut down" their complaint line...WHAT??? What is the purpose of the HS? Why do we donate to these people?

Both of these agencies have also know about this breeder for MANY years and have done NOTHING about the conditions there. But if your dog craps on the sidewalk in front of an AC officer and you don't pick it up, you better look out. This makes me SICK!

Here is the Original Story.
http://www.katu.com/news/team2/4631011.html

And the Follow-up Story.
http://www.katu.com/news/team2/4698771.html

I hope the next follow-up story is about cheating the IRS.
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Well, they couldn't get Al Capone for murder, so they put him away for tax evasion. Whatever it takes to get the job done.

Post by Guest »

jerryo wrote:Well, they couldn't get Al Capone for murder, so they put him away for tax evasion. Whatever it takes to get the job done.
Very well put!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

800 sq feet! :!: My apartment is about 835 sq feet and two chows and I are just comfortable in here. There's no way I could add 38 more dogs and puppies and have room for me and be able to keep it clean. That's just ridiculous.

And I'd love to be able to rescue another one or two, but I know I can't do it. If I had 10 or more acres a big sprawling house that would be different, I'd have lots more, all rescues, all with lots of in house time. I'd also want to live outside a city. Too much noise in a city and all dogs stay a little more hyped up for my peace of mind to leave more than two alone during the day.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

jerryo wrote:Well, they couldn't get Al Capone for murder, so they put him away for tax evasion. Whatever it takes to get the job done.
I agree, how would the gov't. find out if there is tax invasion.
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

That's one of the few things governments are all really good at. The County is already after her for her business tax, so the State of Oregon and the Feds won't be far behind. She is going to be deeper in paperwork than the dogs were in poop for a long time.
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

I hope that she gets everything tenfold that she fully deserves!
What a disgusting hog she is....sorry Hogs, I really do like animal pigs!

Those poor Chows...how sad!
Sharon
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

She looks like to me a horder. Which is sad for her and her dogs. She needs to have all animals taken away from her. I wish she lived in a state like California or Washington. It is just way too sad. I think the AKC will do something if she gets enough publicity and it comes out that the AKC is not revoking her privlages.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
WorknChowz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WorknChowz »

Hoarders are usually mentally ill or have a obsessive compulsive disorder.
Hoarders typically do not sell and make a profit.
Hoarders generally take in dogs and or other animals and never let them leave their posession.
This lady had so many because she could make more money that way. :evil:

The saddest thing of all is that the dogs that were still capable of breeding, were moved, only to be housed by a buddy-breeder who is just as bad or worse. They are still prisoners of greed. If animal control had confiscated the dogs, most would likely be euthanized. Hopefully, some of the retired dogs found their way to good homes but who knows?

The only answer to making things like this stop happening is for everyone to EDUCATE as many people as we can NOT to buy from pet stores and ONLY SUPPORT a breeder that you have CHECKED OUT!

BOTTOM LINE:
Puppy mills would not exist if people would stop supporting them! This is the ROOT of the problem, Canton Chows was only one of thousands of branches on the tree.
Sure, it's not CONVENIENT when you and your family want a puppy and want it now, but researching, forming a relationship with a good breeder or rescue and waiting for the right dog is what we should all do if we want to see places like this drop in numbers. Don't kid yourself...the dog you have laying at your feet right now very well could have come from worse and the people responsible MADE MONEY. :evil:
Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...