Chow breader news story (not good)

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

ChowMania

Chow breader news story (not good)

Post by ChowMania »

I came across this story about a filthy (possibly abusive) chow breader in Oregon from KATU channel 2 news. It includes a full length video on the story.

http://www.katu.com/news/4631011.html
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I think thats Canton Chows in Oregon, someone just did a whole thread on them. Must be Canton, thats the website they show.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

I think you must be right, Jeff. It shows Canton Chows on the new license, too.

And I thought I had a filthy house. The health department should haul her fat butt away if no one else does. :evil:
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

The trouble with closing her down or locking her up is 20+ Chows are going to need homes and I doubt the adults will make it out of the shelter and thats just taking it for granted the puppies will get adopted.

How can they say she's not selling for profit when she has a website selling Chows for $1200.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

She says in the story that they just had 2 litters with 15 puppies, so can't clean up the place. At $1200 a pup, that's $18,000 of product, so it sounds pretty commercial to me.
Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sylvia »

I wonder if WorknChowz contacted the news station.
WorknChowz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WorknChowz »

Sylvia wrote:I wonder if WorknChowz contacted the news station.
Well, perhaps she did out of desperation because no one else would do anything... :wink:
Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Can't do anything about it? Totally ridiculous :evil:
This woman should be in jail but, of course, there's a loophole. Places like this need to be put out of business. Unfortunately, there are many people that want a Chowling. When I was looking for a puppy, I didn't find too much trouble looking on the Internet and there is no way to tell if the breeder is good or bad. One would "assume" that if the pups are being sold for $1200 each, then it must be a good breeder. In as much home visits are required for prospective Chow adopters, there should be home visits to these type of breeders and a public rating system established so that we know what we're dealing with and keep these people accountable for their lack of humane treatment to animals.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

I'm glad this was posted - I came here to check and see if it had made it on the site yet.

Yes, that's the same place that WorknChowz visited. There have been numerous complaints made against the place over the past five years and yet the only one that has been willing to do ANYTHING is KATU TV.

The problem is that dirty conditions are not sufficient grounds for inspection and closure, unfortunately. But having 40 dogs on 1/8 of an acre in a residentially zoned area, and not having a business license even though she is obviously doing this to make money, WILL hopefully cause some problems for her.

Yes, if she's closed down she will probably have to get rid of some dogs. That's bad for rescue, but in the long run it's good if it stops her from breeding like she's been breeding. She's currently got three litters available, and last April (according to the report) she had three litters available - so she's breeding constantly.

The truly bad thing here is what was found in the attitude of the dogs. WorknChowz and I spoke on the phone and she described these puppies as being tremendously frightened. The breeder stacked up a puppy and it froze in place - even nose-to-nose with this puppy, she could not get it to interact with her in any way. It was as if the fear was so high that it petrified the pup and it couldn't move at all. What in the HELL does someone do to a 7-8 week old puppy to make them that way?? I can't - don't - even want to imagine.

The video doesn't show fearful dogs, but it doesn't show the breeder handling the dogs at all either. If the TV reporter had more dog know-how he might have recognized some of that and tried to get it on tape. Unfortunately, the only thing really seen was that the place was dirty. But the puppies were playing and none of the dogs looked in really bad condition.

I don't know what will happen, but at least people should know not to buy from a breeder like this. The puppies may be cute but they are not being handled properly and - as many of you know - a chow that has been handled badly has a lot of issues as it grows up. I can't understand why anyone would want to produce fearful puppies. There's NO excuse.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

That is bloody awful! :evil:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Breathless
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Breathless »

You guys pretty much said everything I wanted to say. Thanks for posting this!
They need to shut this place down and send this ***** back to the trailer where she came from :evil:
WorknChowz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WorknChowz »

Jeff&Peks wrote:The trouble with closing her down or locking her up is 20+ Chows are going to need homes and I doubt the adults will make it out of the shelter and thats just taking it for granted the puppies will get adopted.

How can they say she's not selling for profit when she has a website selling Chows for $1200.
You are kidding yourself if you think any of those dogs will end up in a shelter.
These dogs are a cash crop to "breeders" like this. Oregon Humane won't confiscate them and neither will Clackamas. IF she is shut down by the city zoning, she will disperse her money making machines to her cronies or to the highest bidder. (At least they will be away from her and her cruel treatment!)
I truly believe that the only means of income for these people is the sale of puppies. She's not going to let that go without a profit making fight.

How long does it take to find out if a "LICENSED breeder" is selling for profit or not??? Has Clackamas not heard of Google????
She has a PAYPAL account just for her puppy buyers! :roll:
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Hi chowfriends,

karin here, canada, I read all your emails, I watched the video and it bothered me to see any chow, dog, or any animal having to suffer so someone can make a quick buck.

Early this morning i sent an email to a very reputable breeder not far from where I live. I included a link to the video. I received a reply within a couple of hours, from Europe, where the couple is visiting to judge various dog breeds including chows.

Here's part of the eamil content:

***I am getting bombarded with this news about Lolly Harris, from all over the States. It is already in the hands of the Chow Chow Club Inc., and I think also with the American Kennel Club.

From here I cannot see the video, but it has been discribed to me by quite a few people.***

Let's hope the chow organizations will take care of the matter. I studied the Canton website and it appears to me that originally the chows were well cared for, but people get older, and sometimes it's best just to close shop and retire.

Here in Canada, two breeders closed up shop, due to age perhaps or health of the breeder, don't know, I can only guess. One breeder had a chow exhibit at a country fair. Two of the 8 chows' fur was badly matted. The chows all seemed well taken care of otherwise, friendly, well socialized but the matted fur bothered me.

karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Boggled
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boggled »

This is so sickening - Has anyone ever visited Cherub Chows in person - They have Cherub/Canton Chows that they breed, and show if I'm not mistaken.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I think there are two Cantons one is in the east I believe, the other Canton is reputable and shows from what I hear. Dosn't Cantom mean something in Chinese or is a Chinese word?
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ImageImage
WorknChowz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WorknChowz »

Boggled wrote:This is so sickening - Has anyone ever visited Cherub Chows in person - They have Cherub/Canton Chows that they breed, and show if I'm not mistaken.

If I wasn't over 800 miles away, I'd visit that one too...
what's the saying? "Birds of a feather flock together."
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Canton is the French transliteration of Guangzhou, a city and province on the Pearl River in southern China, origin of Cantonese food. Strangely it's also the term for one of the subdivisions of Switzerland. :D
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Cherub Chows is just across the county line from Canton Chows. It looks like they use the same website designer, too. Maybe Multnoma County (Portland) is better at enforcement than Clackamas County, but someone should still make a house call. Do we have anyone near Gresham, OR?
Breathless
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Breathless »

It would be Kanton with a K in Switzerland. :wink:

Are you sure Canton chows used a web designer for this site. Looks like they did it themself, it's just hideous. Way too busy and the colors are all over the place, and what's up with the creepy music? :-8
Last edited by Breathless on Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

WorknChowz wrote:How long does it take to find out if a "LICENSED breeder" is selling for profit or not??? Has Clackamas not heard of Google????
She has a PAYPAL account just for her puppy buyers! :roll:
I was appalled at the attitude/excuses given for not ever having inspected this kennel, even though they'd been getting complaints for at least five years! The one woman, with the short blonde hair, was tripping over her words in her attempt to excuse it all. Granted, they probably have tons of complaints to deal with, but when one place gets multiple complaints then that (to me) screams "GET OUT THERE AND INSPECT". Now, of course, Lolly has been given advance warning and is probably really working hard on getting it cleaned up.

Although cleaning up may make no difference at all if the zoning board gets involved. She may have to move. I just hope that she downsizes to a reasonable number of dogs at the very least. It's probably beyond hope to think that she would stop breeding altogether.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

IliamnasQuest wrote:The truly bad thing here is what was found in the attitude of the dogs. WorknChowz and I spoke on the phone and she described these puppies as being tremendously frightened. The breeder stacked up a puppy and it froze in place - even nose-to-nose with this puppy, she could not get it to interact with her in any way. It was as if the fear was so high that it petrified the pup and it couldn't move at all. What in the HELL does someone do to a 7-8 week old puppy to make them that way?? I can't - don't - even want to imagine.

I can't imagine what could scare them like that either. To illustrate a well socialized 8 week old, Dreamdancer has never shown fear to me or anyone else. As you can see in the photos of him the first day at Petsmart he was alert, curious, and unafraid. That's because Linda worked with him and his siblings to socialize him as he should have been. I'm very grateful to her for that.

I shudder to think of the problem chows people will buy from this woman. I do hope someone can do something about it, this kind of operation is what turned out problem chows in the past and got them the reputations so many people are trying to correct now.

And how can anyone believe this isn't about profit? They've had 19 puppies and 15 puppies already this year, that's $40,080. Even with food and vet bills they are making a profit. They are most likely living on that profit as the dogs seem to be their only source of income. But a profit is a profit no matter where it is spent. How can the state agency just accept that she says she's not maiking a profit?

Loop-holes make me so mad sometimes :evil:
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Both sites have the same overuse of color, overdone classic imagery, and creepy music to me. They are only a few miles apart in the southeast part of Portland, so I'm guessing they work together, but it's a guess. Kanton may be the way they spell it in parts of Switzerland, but we learned it as canton in Amerikain school. :lol: But since the Swiss have four official languages, maybe part of them spell it my way, too.
Breathless
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Breathless »

No way, it's spelled with a K :P

I just checked out Cherubs site...you're right same crap. They must be related...so that place is probably just as bad.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

You will notice that over on Cherub's site the post 4 litters in August...way too many even if the end number was lower than Canton's
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Boggled
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boggled »

Upon looking up chows and breeders, I found that a lot of the show chows use that same type of web page. Don't know why - they don't make it attractive or very easy to navigate through them.