General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Anyone have Chows in Arizona?

Post by gebower »

Hello, Everyone,
We have two Chows and will be moving to Arizona next spring. I would not part with my Chows for anything, but we have to move there. How do Chows handle that heat down there? Especially in Tucson? I know Phoenix gets just a little hotter, but Tucson is pretty hot too in the summer. If there's anyone out there that has a Chow in this area, I would love to hear any advice from the experienced. I wouldn't be posting this if I didn't care a LOT about them. I love them dearly. By the way, we're moving from Michigan to Arizona.

Thanks, Gene.
Last edited by gebower on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gene
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Anyone have Chows in Arizona?

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Where are you moving from is the question, . If your moving from a cold climate your going to have to be real careful until they get use to it chows will usally let you know when enough is enough. I live in LA so my Chow is use to 100 degree weather I keep it slow on the walks and always carry water. Nuke use to live in Phoenix and there are a few other members that live in Arizona that don't seem to have trouble with the heat I think they even have a Chow rescue or two in Arizona. The general rule is anything over 70 degrees take caution but the Chows that live in hot climates adjust to it.

I just noticed your moving from Michigan can't get much colder climate then that, Your Chows will need some time adjusting as long as your real carefull they should be fine. I would say walk them at night but even the nights are hot in Phoenix.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Wow, you're really moving to a totally different climate, aren't you? I imagine if you do like Jeff says, your chows will be alright. You'll probably have air conditioning inside, so at least they can keep cool there. I don't have any experience with this, but just wanted to wish you well.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

I moved from IL to AZ (northwestern AZ) and Legend did just fine. He's an indoor dog anyway. Most of AZ isn't humid, so the heat is a bit different . I know when we humans visit IL, we're always appalled at the humidity now :P I obviously keep him in during the warmest parts of the day, but I'd have done that anyway. He can't go for walks now due to severe arthritis, but when we first moved here, he was still able to get out and about for walks..we just didn't go in the blaring midday sun. :)

Aesop was born in Vegas, so he's sort of a desert dog. We recently had a lot of rain for about a week straight and he was just all sorts of horrified.
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Mia was born in the 100% humid Georgia heat and her whole family lived outside with very little shade. Chutters on the other hand came from way up north. Both are ok during the summer, but honestly it's best to keep them mostly in the air conditioning and well watered. In the summer, especially last summer when it was in the high nineties for so long, we took our walks early in the morning and later in the evening. Short and slow walks with lots of water. Sometimes, mid-day they would run out the doggy door to go potty and then hop back into the A/C. But, in those two minutes that they were out, there fur would feel like it's on fire.

Err on the side of being cautious, because it doesn't take much to overheat them and when it happens it's really easy for them to go down quickly. In the heat, just keep them inside most of the time.
Mia
Araceli
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Araceli »

Moving from Michigan to Arizona with Chows can be a big adjustment, especially considering the heat in Tucson. Chows, with their thick double coats, can struggle in extreme temperatures. However, with proper precautions like providing shade, plenty of water, and limiting outdoor activity during the hottest parts of the day, they can adapt. Consulting with local veterinarians and experienced Chow owners in the Tucson area can provide invaluable advice on helping your furry companions acclimate to the desert climate while ensuring their well-being remains a top priority. If you're also considering the cost of living, you might want to explore the cheapest places to live in Arizona to find the best fit for your family and pets.