Need some help with food?!

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

YukiButler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Need some help with food?!

Post by YukiButler »

Brought my first chow chow puppy over a week ago. After her working treatment, she ended up having really bad diarrhoea (which we read could happen), however, we ended up taking her to the vets and they gave her some prebiotic’s & an injection to increase her appetite. Her poo started to harden after just one treatment so we stopped giving her the prebiotics to avoid her getting constipated. That was four days ago.

However, her poo has started to get a more lose again & we’ve noticed a small bit of bloody mucus on the outside of her poo. We’ve started prebiotics again yesterday (when it started happening) but it hasn’t started working yet.

She’s been eating dry kibble, and we’ve not changed her diet. She’s had a bit of chicken as a treat. In regards to her health, she’s still extremely playful & her appetite has increased LOADS! To the point we were questioning if we were giving her the right amount! She’s also drinking fine & her stomach isn’t tender to touch. She however has been scratching her ears a bit & im wondering if maybe she’s having problems with her food?

I want to give her some rice and scramble egg to try help with the diarrhoea, however, having a hard time finding out if it’s safe for puppies - chow chows specifically. I know with our other dogs it was fine, but they were older. Can anyone help?
Fil_Jan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Need some help with food?!

Post by Fil_Jan »

Can my 2moths old chow-chow eats rice?
tonyzoc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tonyzoc »

Of course chows can eat rices. When my chow has had diarrhea, the vet told me to give her a basic diet consisting of some boiled chicken chopped and mixed with rice. Here's what I have been feeding my chow for the past 2 years... In the first 6 months I gave her 3 meals of about 3/4 cup total... Dry kibble in the morning, a little more kibble and a chopped hard boiled egg midday, and rice with copped veggies and meat mix for dinner. The veggies I feed her are blanched celery, chinese cabbage, carrots, broccoli, romaine lettuce...meat will be boiled chicken thighs, or pork chops or lamb meatballs (meatballs are pure meat with no breading) and no salt or pepper or any other spices. When she got older she started skipping breakfast or lunch, so now my routine is about 1/3 cup of kibble and some duck jerky and (smaller) milk bones for breakfast... If she finished the kibble I'll give her another small portion with a hard boiled egg at noon, and for dinner the same as above. If she skips the morning kibble it becomes her lunch with egg, and if she skips that, it will get mixed in with her dinner. Anything she doesn't eat is thrown away at night. I walk get 3-5 miles a day...2 or 3 walk and occasionally (once a week in good wrather) she runs without a leash in a dog park. She's strong and health and has a beautiful coat.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

audrey06
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by audrey06 »

tonyzoc wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:23 pm Of course chows can eat rices. When my chow has had diarrhea, the vet told me to give her a basic diet consisting of some boiled chicken chopped and mixed with rice. Here's what I have been feeding my chow for the past 2 years... In the first 6 months I gave her 3 meals of about 3/4 cup total... Dry kibble in the morning, a little more kibble and a chopped hard boiled egg midday, and rice with copped veggies and meat mix for dinner. The veggies I feed her are blanched celery, chinese cabbage, carrots, broccoli, romaine lettuce...meat will be boiled chicken thighs, or pork chops or lamb meatballs (meatballs are pure meat with no breading) and no salt or pepper or any other spices. When she got older she started skipping breakfast or lunch, so now my routine is about 1/3 cup of kibble and some duck jerky and (smaller) milk bones for breakfast... If she finished the kibble I'll give her another small portion with a hard boiled egg at noon, and for dinner the same as above. If she skips the morning kibble it becomes her lunch with egg, and if she skips that, it will get mixed in with her dinner. Anything she doesn't eat is thrown away at night. I walk get 3-5 miles a day...2 or 3 walk and occasionally (once a week in good wrather) she runs without a leash in a dog park. She's strong and health and has a beautiful coat.
Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Your dedicated care routine for your chow is commendable. It's great to see how you've adjusted her diet over time, especially during health challenges like diarrhea, with a focus on boiled chicken, rice, and a variety of vegetables. verna haywood Your adaptability to her changing appetite as she ages, along with regular exercise, has undoubtedly contributed to her strength, health, and vibrant coat.