General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Mimis_dad
Rank 0
Rank 0

My dog, Mimi bit my dad and now he seems hostile against him

Post by Mimis_dad »

Hi all

Let me first introduce my chow, Mimi. He's 1 year old and is just the cutest thing ever.

Mimi is usually friendly towards me, my brother, my mother and my dad, since he knows the family since we brought him home as a puppy. However, things turned out bad when Mimi bit my dad.

So my dad usually goes out on business trips, he would be out for 3-4 days and then he'll go home. There was this one time that my dad went home at around 1 AM, it was a little dark. When mimi saw my dad my dad called him and mimi came to him but what happened next wasn't what my dad was expecting. He thought mimi would be his usual warm self whenever he sees one of us (family) going home. He would cry and wag his tail until we say hi to him and pet him. But this was not the case, Mimi attacked my dad and we had to restrain him. It was probably dark at that time that's why Mimi attacked, that's our easiest analysis of the situation. Now Mimi is acting a little hostile towards my dad, he hasnt bitten him since but he would usually be on guard when my dad is there.

This has affected our family to the point that my dad doesn't go to his bedroom only when he's going to sleep. He spends his entire time downstairs in our living room. Aside from that my dad is angry at me and he wants the dog to leave the house. Of course that is not an option since i am deeply attached and i really love mimi.

Is there any way Mimi would be less aggressive in general? my dad is the person who supports our family and im sure it pains him that he cant even be relaxed in his own home, knowing that he could be attacked by the dog he supported financially. Please help because this problem is really destroying my relationship with my dad.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: My dog, Mimi bit my dad and now he seems hostile against

Post by Pinoy51 »

Hi Mimi's dad
this isn't an easy problem to solve. I'm saying this because only your Dad can solve it , and the way you describe it he is in state of mind where he solved it by wanting Mimi out of his life.
Now first the fact that it was dark 1 a.m. etc for sure isn't the reason for the attack. dogs rely on their sense of smell way more than on their sense of sight. Only if your Dad also smelled unusual, like coming from a place he usually doesn't go with strong aroma that could explain the reaction, but still i don't really believe it. Specially whem Mimi has been called and apparoached normal an attack isn't to be expected.
Anyway via remote not possible to determine what really happened.
What you should check if Mimi has any reason to be in pain. The biggest misunderstanding in case of biting can come from the part where the dog can have pain attacks when being touched. Dogs with arthritis or hidden wounds can react like Mimi when touched in painful areas.
Now to get over it, your Dad would need to let go of the past. Which seems to be the problem.
For Mimi what happened that night isn't present anymore, but the grudge your Dad has against him is ever present, that's why he is changed now when it comes to encounters with your Dad.
If your Dad could go back to calm assertive state of mind become the alpha dog in the eyes of Mimi aby feeding him, make him work for treats (NiLiF), take him on a walk etc. everything would go back to normal.
Then the only thing left then is to observe Mimi to find out what really triggered the attack.
which you good luck as I know how stressful it is with a dog and family member wishing the dog would dissapear.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I am hoping with all my heart that everything has returned to "normal." Knowing how limited is a dog's (chow's) sight is, that had to be a consideration in what happened; dimmed lights, different smells. You all raised this chow boy from the time he was a pup. There is always risk when it comes to any animal, especially those who sentry and patrol our homes. The best advise I can give is that everyone returns to their normal daily living routine. Not to be mad at anyone and assess what happened with a clear mind and heart. Your chow boy hasn't changed, it was just the situation. There has to be forgiveness and time to move on, not putting the blame on any one person or your chow boy.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

You have been given some good advice. I would add that it would be a good idea to take him to the vet and have a checkup. I would do blood work and thyroid. Until you find another answer can you put Mimi in a crate or in a room behind a gate? Maybe if you can keep them separate for a short time your dad will get over his anger. You may have to agree to crate Mimi when your dad is coming in at night.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 5238 times
Ingen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ingen »

Don't have good advise, but I can relate to what happened. It seems like my chow does the same thing too, short of biting. My chow would rush to the door whenever she hears the lock turning, on a brightly lit scenario, she will rush towards me and wags her tail all excited. However, if the apartment is dark, she will rush up to a distance and growl and at times barks at me like a I'm a stranger in the house. The moment I turned on the lights, she will hesitate for a moment as if the brain took a second or two to register who I am before rushing over with her usual self.

Could it be that chow rely more on sights or because there's no need for her sense of smell to take priority in her daily living?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Regardless of who is approaching the door or what the lighting conditions are, my dogs will both bark and guard the doorway. Voice recognition is my best advice. Announce yourself and instruct other regular visitors to do the same.

When not so regular visitors arrive, the dogs look to us for reassurance. A quick 'its ok' is usually sufficient. My dogs have learned this, so you may need to practice a bit, but they will get it.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

That is bizarre. Really. Dont ever think it is dark thus he attacked your dad (or Mimi could be suffering from loss of vision/hearing). For him to attack your dad and also to be aggressive towards him afterwards is weird if your dog has a stable character. Unless it is otherwise. some dogs can be unstable in character, sadly. These types need extra attention so people around them will not push their button.

I read some paranormal beliefs a member here once said, that there could be something your dog is sensing. Now that's creepy. ANyway, pardon me for this unhelpful bit.

What I could say is, your dad must act that he is not at all afraid of your dog and that if Mimi ever attack or give a low growl (IF) then your dad has to face her off directly. He must even challenge Mimi (posturing) if he comes upstair while your chow would be looking at him suspiciously. Let him hold a stick if he is too traumatized to get over with the night attack. and YOU SHOULD SHOW MIMI that your dad is harmless by hugging your dad in sight and laughing. Acting otherwise sends the wrong signal to MIMI. with otherwise I mean quarelling and shouting matches.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Hi Cam,
i don't want to challenge you, but advising someone, who was bitten and has decided not to want that dog anymore in the house, to hold a stick when being approached by the perceived aggressive dog can escalate the situation easily.
I hope you don't see it as too creepy when I reiterate that dogs can sense emotions.
A highly fearful or passive aggressive human approaching a dog can easily trigger a flight or fight reaction in an otherwise stable dog. Also very hectic and nervous person seldom own calm and relaxed dogs or make easy contact with dogs.
But that's an entirely different topic.
Guess you agree that our Chows are not known for fleeing from a situation, but more often than not they decide to stand their ground if their territorial instinct has been triggered by something or someone.
But without having seen Mimi, the dad and the house etc, it is highly speculative why it happened.
I guess there is enough input now for Mimi's dad, who surprisingly hasn't come back to anyone who was trying to help him and Mimi until now. So hopefully everyone in that household already moved on and the incident is a thing of the past.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I would agree that a stick is a really bad idea, unless Cam intended the stick as a play toy for the chow. That might work as a piece offering and play time bonding. Otherwise, advising a weapon to use against a family pet is not an acceptable resolution.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I will add my two cents. Ursa will react very defensively at night when someone comes to the door. My son and I are included. Two nights each week he teaches a late class, and comes in around 2100. The dogs will alert when his car pulls in the drive, and will go to the door and challenge "the intruder" when he comes to the door. We tell her that it is ok, and he usually calls Ursa by name. The same thing applies for me if I come in late. I always call her by name and say "it's ok". The other thing here is now your dad probably exhibits some level of fear, hostility or uncertainty towards Mimi, and Mimi is reacting to it. I will sometime work out of town. In 2012, I spent 6 weeks away, and when I returned, Ursa was definitely uncertain about who I was. It took about two days before she was certain I was really me. You, Mimi and your dad are going to have to work through this. This could be a problem if your dad does not want to go along.