Help! Does this Chow have a smooth/rough coat?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

trinee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help! Does this Chow have a smooth/rough coat?

Post by trinee »

And does he have a closed mouth? He was born on Sept 21. Would appreciate answers! Also can you please show me possible pictures of how he would look like? Thank you so much! It's my first time in owning and buying a Chow
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 8665_n.jpg
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Help! Does this Chow have a smooth/rough coat?

Post by christina chow mum »

Hi Trinee, thanks for letting us see your beautiful new chow. =D= =D= I hope my points will be of some help to you. Of course I believe other posters here will also give you opinions and advice. What you have is a genuine “CREAM” chow. With very few exceptions ALL chows are born with short hair and your chow looks like it will be a “long rough-hair”. See some photos below of how it will look as an adult. Cream puppies are the only chows which do not have the traditional black face “mask” but it has the traditional "black tongue". "Cream" is almost always ivory, nearly white, but can vary in depth in some adults to a butterscotch color. They are cream from birth and usually have light tan ears and legs. Very light red puppies are often mislabelled as creams by inexperienced breeders. Chow Chows are a "double-coated" breed. Adult Chows have a long, harsh-textured outer coat and a soft, short, downy undercoat. The undercoat protects them from rain and cold. The colour of a Chow is determined by the colour of its outer coat. A red or cinnamon Chow's undercoat can vary in colour from nearly white to a very dark gray regardless of the colour of its outer coat. Blacks and blues usually have dark undercoats. Creams, however, are cream all the way through to the skin. Have a look at some of the previous posts here under “General Discussions” where you will find hints on training, rearing, bathing, grooming etc. Best of luck, he’s really beautiful.. :!: :!: :!:
Attachments
ADULT WHITE CHOWS.jpg
ADULT WHITE CHOWS.jpg (5.82 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
ADULT CREAM2.jpg
ADULT CREAM2.jpg (6.25 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
ADULT CREAM 1.jpg
ADULT CREAM 1.jpg (9.75 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.
Doppler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Doppler »

That is so exciting Trinee, congratulations in advance! He's so adorable.

Very well said Christina, so interesting to know more about this wonderful big guy.
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. "
ImageImage
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

If you share your life with a chow chow, you like a canine with serious hair. They're double-coated, with an undercoat beneath their heavier outer coat. Although chows are year-round hairy, there's more of it in their winter coat. Snuggle next to him to keep warm on cold winter nights...