Chow position when lying down

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Crumpet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow position when lying down

Post by Crumpet »

Hi, everyone. This may be a silly question, but my chow and several others I've seen pictures of seem to have a habit of lying down in a certain position with their back legs stretched straight out behind them. They're on their belly with both back legs straight out, both paw pads facing the sky. Is that just a coincidence, or does it have something to do with the stilted back legs of chows? None of my other dogs have done this and I haven't seen any other dogs elsewhere do this. Just curious. Thanks.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Chow position when lying down

Post by Tippsy'smom »

My purebred girl never did it. My mix boy did it as a puppy and my mix girl still does it. My pom even does it. Many people call it "frog dog". :lol: However, I don't think it's associated with the straight back legs. I've seen labs, goldens, schnauzers, poms, and other breeds doing it.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Crumpet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Crumpet »

OK. Maybe I just haven't been looking. It's hella cute anyway!
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

My Chow does it, looks really uncomfortable, when he gets really relaxed he flops to one side and then wiggles onto his back and then snores REALLY loud lol.

It's really funny seeing him outside protecting the house upside down and snoring lol
Thank you Sweatpea
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Buddy, my black boy, did that all the time, he would literally flatten himself into a bear skin rug. :lol: Cocoa did as a puppy but now she just does one leg or the other but not usually both at the same time.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Yes most breeds can do it, Go to top of page on right and put frogging in the search box you'll see the photos ,mine is the white retriever. LOL. But my chows did it too
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Two of my chows do and one doesn't and my father-in-laws lab used to when he was younger. I think it is probably more about having flexible hips.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Brutus has always done it since he has been a puppy usually to cool down or when he's chewing on a bone.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Agree with 612, seems to be about cooling. We call it Superman pose, but still the same as frog.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I should add, both my male and girl chow do it.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

My girl does it, most of my boys have done it, my current boy does it partially, one leg out straight behind him then he switches sides. It's about cooling off, the heavier the coat they've had the more often they do it. Laying like that gets their belly flat on the floor or dirt and allows them to cool off.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

My past male chow did, but the female didn't...he was much thicker coated than her though. I totally agree it's a way to cool down, even my current yorki/pom will do it on real hot days. I've yet to see Rolyx do it though, he tends to sprawl out on his side for cooling [he tucks like a ball any other time, sure it's a husky thing].