Quick question!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

camickey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Quick question!

Post by camickey »

Is it okay to let 2 chow chows stay in a crate? They have been mouthing each other so I'm worried that one of them will be hurt. However, they will get tired of it and sleep. I'm thinking that they're just playing around or...not. :/ I'm saying no to both of them but they won't stop but later on they will, if I'm not looking. :)

Thank you!
Attachments
Here they are. :)
Here they are. :)
IMG00060-20120605-1151 copy.jpg (49.37 KiB) Viewed 2915 times
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Quick question!

Post by Rio »

How long have you had the older dog? He/she may think it is their territory,puppy may submit but I am not sure it is advisable to have 2 dogs in one crate, but thats only a guess. I am sure someone with multiple dogs would be more suited to answer this query.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Looks like they are playing and enjoying each others company. \:D/ So happy for Mochi!

Of course it would be ideal if there was a way for them to get away from each other should the need arise. But what in life is ideal, really? I would check on them periodically, to see what they are doing.

That's a beautiful photo of the 2 of them. They look like great friends.
camickey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by camickey »

Rio wrote:How long have you had the older dog? He/she may think it is their territory,puppy may submit but I am not sure it is advisable to have 2 dogs in one crate, but thats only a guess. I am sure someone with multiple dogs would be more suited to answer this query.
He's not my dog but my cousin's. :)
camickey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by camickey »

Sarahloo wrote:Looks like they are playing and enjoying each others company. \:D/ So happy for Mochi!

Of course it would be ideal if there was a way for them to get away from each other should the need arise. But what in life is ideal, really? I would check on them periodically, to see what they are doing.

That's a beautiful photo of the 2 of them. They look like great friends.
Thank you! :D The funny thing is they *Censored Word* harassing each other. HAHAHA! They're both males. Is that normal? =)))
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

camickey wrote:
Thank you! :D The funny thing is they *Censored Word* harassing each other. HAHAHA! They're both males. Is that normal? =)))
Apollo's doing that as well! He would hump on my boyfriend's leg, the side of the bed, or anywhere he feels to do such humping! Its crazy! Hahaha. He's just 3mos and I don't know if that's normal to them. I guess we're both searching for the answer! :)
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Long term? It is not advisable to have them share that cage and leave them for longer periods. A vicious fight could erupt anytime if someone gave them food as your chow pup grows by the day and the stakes are higher as days go by. Dont trust too much on your cousin's chow mix. They can play together for a few hours , supervised. I'm speaking from my experiences as it really is cute and heartwarming to see them like that sharing a cage. But no, it is not always rosy.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I think Cam is worrying too much for now. From the photos on this post and your other posts, it looks like things are doing well. The older dog is demonstrating dominance, and from your post about Mochi having issues with bite inhibition, a little dog to dog talk could help him learn his position in society. Long term, there could be some issues as Mochi moves into adolescence and wants to assert himself. Having a playmate will help Mochi work off some energy that seems to be an issue. This could be an opportunity for both you and Mochi to help with his training and socialization.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I think as long as at least 1 of them is still in puppy mode, it will be OK. If they are just mouthing, then that is play. Yipping from one or the other is a warning to the other...'hey that hurt, not so rough'. If you hear repeated yips, those boundaries may not being respected and then you should consider some separation. You mention that they are both male, but are they intact...that can make a big difference on their aggressiveness.

As adults, they should have their own space. Not only for reducing any arguments that might arise, but also simply for space. They need enough room in the crate so they dont trip all over each other. The crate should also be their safe zone, so if they arent playing anymore, they need to have their own.

As for the other...ahem, affectionate behavior, i think they are both too young to realize what they are doing. Male dogs have an instinct. Its probably nothing more than an attempt to determine dominance.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Mochi is so sweet looking, happy the pix..
So glad to hear of your follow up!
I unfort. do not have any guidence to provide you on the crate sharing (I dont have multiple dogs, or crate Clover) but from your picture and as long as you are montoring them and making sure safe enviroment, I could not see the harm, until it becomes (if) an issue.