BIG Problem... :( Please help!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: BIG Problem... :( Please help!

Post by Clovers_Mom »

I cannot agree more with the last few posts. The fact that you have absorbed what we have told you, with an objective eye, and come back to follow up and reach out to us speaks volumes that you do want to provide mochi the best life you can.
If it helps- always remember no question is stupid .... Trust me... (I knw ..ha) that I have asked ridiculous quesitions (I sometimes retread my quesitions and ask myself did I really ask that?!:-).
Oh well would rather get the communities feedback and thoughts then going on being unsure!
Hope that you and mochi had a good new beginnings of a day !!!!
yatta5000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yatta5000 »

I was just thinking as i just groomed my chow, a good time to brush him is when they are sleepy. Achilles nip less when he's sleepy and just want me to leave him alone
j3ffry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by j3ffry »

all I can say is that you guys are pretty rough. you are like chows that wasn't trained at all.

people signed up here to ask questions because they DON'T have an idea how to handle their chow.

what you guys do is scold the thread starter.

funny because sometimes you guys have more patience with your chow than your fellow human that is in need for help.

hypocrisy at it's best!

this forum has helped me numerous times with my chow problems. and i'm very thankful with those guys who are both patient with their chow and fellow human.

but to the people who are proclaiming that they successfully trained and gave their best to their chows, guess what? you SUCK! at social/people relation!

you should be the one going to a therapist not your chows because your chows behaved much much better than you! get a life!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Wow! It is nice of you to come to this young lady's defense, but your response was no more productive than some of the posters you are angry with, J3ffry. As I said before, we come from all walks of life. If you are on this forum long enough, you will see it expressed in some pretty extreme examples. Most people here are advocates for the Chow above all else. While it is true their posts were unkind to the OP, they were thinking only for the Chow. The reality is as I suspected. The only way to help Mochi is to help his girl. She seems very receptive to learning, so let's all encourage that.

For my experience, we had a young man of a similar background and age that came on here with regularity, asking why his Chow was the way it was, trying all manner of bizarre treatments. We would patiently direct him the right way to go, and he would promptly disregard us...I can only imagine that particular Chow is dead or completely ruined. We will never know. Let's work toward a better outcome for Mochi and his girl.
j3ffry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by j3ffry »

The only way to help Mochi is to help his girl.
are we really helping this girl? please try to read between the lines there's so much hatred on their posts. sorry Auddymay if i'm a bit out of topic but i can't help it.

how can guys be patient with their chows and be an animal advocate if he/she can't relate properly to a fellow human who's in need of information?

this would be my last post regarding this topic. Sorry I didn't even contribute a single advise. I just really need to voice it out.
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

Hi, Camickey! I can relate to you for we have the same age and problem at first. I'll share a couple of thing that I'm currently mastering on how to take care of your new chowling. :) I hope I can be a big help. I feel you, Camickey. I'm also 17 yrs and bought a dog together w/ my boyfriend.

So here are some things I will share to you :)

First of all, BE PATIENT. Be very patient. It is not your chowling's fault. It's not his fault that he can't understand you. At 5mos I think he's lacking attention from you. Treat your chow as your own child. Give him some of your time. It will benefit you both. :) that will help you understand each other. Apollo stays in my room and when he's not inside his crate, he would usually run around and play like there's no tomorrow.

When we're out and he stays in his crate all day, all of his energy will come out rushing by the time we let him out. don't isolate your pup ;( be considerate on what he feels.

He needs activities for him to release his energy. And I notice different things he likes or doesn't like everytime we bond. For example, he likes to put his head at the 2 corners of my closet or anywhere he can put his head at, something like that. :) he knows that when I'm already holding the syringe for his vitamins, he would stop playing and stay put because its already time for his meds. See, we know each other because we bond often. Take him for walks every weekend. We take Apollo to Bonifacio Global City/The Fort, where he can play, run, walk, and socialize with other people and dogs. :) SOCIALIZE HIM AS EARLY AS NOW.

Say no when he bites or does something bad. But dont slap him. Give him praise when he does something good. :) give him treats or hugs even! Cuddling with your pups will bring him happiness and comfort and so to you!

You have to earn your pup's respect. Please be ever so gentle to him. :) give him time. Get to know him! Find out what he likes to do.

And when it comes to grooming, we use 2 combs on Apollo. One slicker brush and a pin comb. Use it alternately. Let him play with one comb or brush while using the other. :)

I hope I'll be a help to you somehow! Feel free to email me anytime, you could get my phone number via email ;) (aly.mitra@yahoo.com) if we're near each other we can meet up and let the 2 cuties play!

Goodluck on your adventure w/ Mochi! :) share pics of him!
camickey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by camickey »

I really really want to thank all of you here. Even though I received negative comments, that just made me realized what I've been doing wrong. If not for this site, and for your replies I still wouldn't know what should I do and not. I sincerely want to express my gratitude. I know you're just concern for Mochi that you don't want him, a chow chow like your chowdren to experience death or something like that. I understand. I'm still working on it. I will update you if you don't mind. Thank you for those who wished me luck. I won't give up on him. Like you, I love my baby. One day, I will happily tell you that me and Mochi finally understand each other. Thank God, I decided to post my problem here. Please continue to help me but I won't force you. :) Again, thank you. God bless all of you.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Camickey,
So glad to read your follow up!
Our chow community is here to help and give you support with Mochi

We look forward to updates, pictures and helping you give Mochi a wonderful life.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

You all know there is another Chow owners forum that bashes this one on a pretty consistent basis. Most of their issues seem to revolve around insesitive responses or advice from people that really have no clue what they are talking about.

Some of these replies makes me think they have a point.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Rory's Dad wrote:You all know there is another Chow owners forum that bashes this one on a pretty consistent basis.
Wow, they sound nasty, bashing others on a pretty consistent basis. And no, I have no idea where those sad people congregate! Should I?
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Hi all, we have two different threads going with this post, and I will comment a little on both.

Rory's Dad has noted that this forum is often criticized by the other site. My opinion is that while they are often over the top with the criticism, they do have some valid points. I try to keep my answers on point and as factual as possible. If I my responses are not correct, PLEASE let me know. I need the feedback.

The real thread here is that we have a young chow owner, Camickey, who is having a problem with her chow. The issue to be addressed is the proper way to help her address her problem. What I really like about this thread is that Ylaartim has responded with her experience, noting that she is of the same age and experience level. I think this will help Camickey relate to her experience. Also, while there has been some personal criticism, Camickey, is still responding and continues to work with her dog. This show to me that she is definitely committed to helping raise and train Mochi. Think about how many people simply give up on a pet! I think this is a good sign.

Camickey, I am impressed with your attitude. Continue to work with Mochi. For a first time dog owner, a chow can be a challenge. My opinion is that the most critical factor with raising a chow is bonding. If Mochi can bond to you, the two of you will be able to work out any other issues. (Isn't this the way it is in most relationships?) If Mochi does something that you do not want, IMMEDIATELY respond by saying NO. Without immediate feedback, Mochi will not associate her actions with your "NO". If she is bonded to you, training is easy, because she will want to please you. When she does things correctly, reward her by giving her attention. Tell her she is "GOOD". Show that you think she is a good dog with your voice tone and facial expression. Pet her, let her know that you really think she is a special dog to you. This will encourage her to try to do things you think are good. You and your family will all have to work every day with her encouraging her to do what you want her to do, and telling her "NO" immediately when she does something you do not want. By sending consistent signals, you reinforce the desired behavior. Keep at it. Keep us posted and ask questions.
camickey
Rank 0
Rank 0

I HATE THEM! What will you do if you're in my position?

Post by camickey »

Ursa's daddy wrote:
Hi all, we have two different threads going with this post, and I will comment a little on both.

Rory's Dad has noted that this forum is often criticized by the other site. My opinion is that while they are often over the top with the criticism, they do have some valid points. I try to keep my answers on point and as factual as possible. If I my responses are not correct, PLEASE let me know. I need the feedback.

The real thread here is that we have a young chow owner, Camickey, who is having a problem with her chow. The issue to be addressed is the proper way to help her address her problem. What I really like about this thread is that Ylaartim has responded with her experience, noting that she is of the same age and experience level. I think this will help Camickey relate to her experience. Also, while there has been some personal criticism, Camickey, is still responding and continues to work with her dog. This show to me that she is definitely committed to helping raise and train Mochi. Think about how many people simply give up on a pet! I think this is a good sign.

Camickey, I am impressed with your attitude. Continue to work with Mochi. For a first time dog owner, a chow can be a challenge. My opinion is that the most critical factor with raising a chow is bonding. If Mochi can bond to you, the two of you will be able to work out any other issues. (Isn't this the way it is in most relationships?) If Mochi does something that you do not want, IMMEDIATELY respond by saying NO. Without immediate feedback, Mochi will not associate her actions with your "NO". If she is bonded to you, training is easy, because she will want to please you. When she does things correctly, reward her by giving her attention. Tell her she is "GOOD". Show that you think she is a good dog with your voice tone and facial expression. Pet her, let her know that you really think she is a special dog to you. This will encourage her to try to do things you think are good. You and your family will all have to work every day with her encouraging her to do what you want her to do, and telling her "NO" immediately when she does something you do not want. By sending consistent signals, you reinforce the desired behavior. Keep at it. Keep us posted and ask questions.
This is my reply for my previous thread, "BIG Problem.. Please help!" I don't know why was it locked but here.

Ursa's daddy.
First I want to say thank you. :) ALL of you. You were a great help to me. Mochi and me is now starting to create our bond. He's learning little by little. I'm giving my all attention to him, walking him for his daily exercise and all. I'm doing every single thing that you told me. But here is my other problem. Because of Mochi's habit of biting people and nibbling things my family doesn't want him to be inside our house. The first try was I put him in our room (with my father) but when he came to know that I won't put Mochi in his crate again he got mad. I don't know why because I'm the one who's cleaning his pee and poopoo. Everything. THEY SIMPLY WANT HIM TO BE IN HIS CRATE FOREVER, US GIVING HIM FOOD AND THAT'S IT. MY GOD!. I'm so mad at them. I will go to them telling, "I didn't get a dog just to be there in his crate! Mochi is not a stray dog!!!" :'( I cried. and cried. and cried. But they won't realize it. They were the one who forced me to let Mochi in his crate that was outside our house. I'm totally against it but when I saw him having fun seeing people outside our house I agreed. I even sleep in our living room now, with Mochi by my side. But when I woke up everyday I will found Mochi in is crate already because of my uggghh father! So I can't let Mochi roaming around our house without them sleeping. I almost thought of leaving our house. :(

Second, when we're having his daily walk. People would come to us saying, "Is he a nice dog?" "He's so cute!" "Is he biting?" When I'll say he's good but he's somewhat biting, they'll be disappointed and leave. I can't lie because they would go pet him but Mochi will try to bite them. :( I would say "NO!" but I think he really didn't like it if he's not in the mood. AND I HATE THEM TELLING ME THAT TO PUT MOCHI AWAY FROM THEM BECAUSE HE'S BAD. THAT THEY DON'T LIKE HIM BECAUSE HE'S BITING. HE'S DANGEROUS AND ETC. It really hurts me. I don't want them to treat him like that because they don't know a thing. Just because the dogs that they know/have are not like Mochi they would go and tell me that. They're so insensitive. Mochi is not to blame because he's just a puppy and know nothing in this world. So I would tell them that it simply because Mochi doesn't like their face and walk away.

Sorry for messing up here, for telling you my feelings and stuff. I just love Mochi that it hurts me that he's treated like that. He's my baby. He doesn't deserve to be treated like that. :( I promised myself to be veryyyyy patient with Mochi and train him, love him, take care of him as long and as much as I can. I will show them taht I can handle Mochi by myself and he's a very good dog! That I can endure sleeping in our living room as long as Mochi is there at my side. I will definitely show them that.
Attachments
Mochi :D
Mochi :D
523837_3260224497487_1023396683_3087270_551126255_n.jpg (26.97 KiB) Viewed 6866 times
Last edited by camickey on Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: I HATE THEM! What will you do if you're in my position?

Post by Sarahloo »

Good job putting your foot down with your dad!!! I love how you're fighting for Mochi! Don't back down and keep fighting!

About the strangers who want to touch him: Just tell them he is a Chow and that he prefers to get to know the people who want to touch him really well! It is a perfectly rational explanation that I have given to people and that people have accepted! Tell them he'd be happy to have them talk to him nicely and tell him how beautiful he is and that he likes to hear he's a good dog and a pretty dog. They can even put a dog treat you give to them in front of him and watch him eat it. Work with people, and make them love him, and make him love them and then one day, he'll be okay with strangers touching him, because strangers say lovely things to him in high voices and they feed him treats! :x
Just be relaxed with Mochi and if they still say mean things just ignore them and talk to Mochi nicely.

He is beautiful!!!
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Hi camickey,firstly Mochi is adorable,secondly I applaud your determination to raise him. Having said that, and here's where I may over-step the mark, do you reside at your parents home? If you do then maybe they are justified in the rules (even if they are very harsh).
I know people are different the world over but I have a daughter your age and to be honest I would not even consider allowing her to have any pets, (dogs,cats,fish anything) I want her focus to be on her education and not on the huge responsiblity of pet ownership. We have four cats and a Chow (Rio) myself and my husband are the primary care givers and also the ones who have to foot the bill if anything goes wrong. I truly do not wish to offend you as you are obviously a lovely person who is trying their best in a very (what I must imagine)stressful environment.
I do having said that wish you the best of luck in raising your Chow and sincerely hope that you and your family can find a compromise that suits all, that is until you are able to move out from the family home.
Good Luck and Hugs to you both.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Camickey, was wondering if your boy friend could help you raise Mochi. Chows really need a family. I don't know if it would confuse your boy......but this may be an option. I am proud of your dedication but you and Mochi seem to have a hard road ahead. I am wishing that your parents have more compassion towards yours and Mochi's plight. Mochi is so beautiful, & still just a baby. These are his formative years. Do you give him doggy things that he can chew when he is alone or in your house. Pups need to chew things. Even though Tess was an adult when we saved her she had the need to chew on me - to get to know me...... Later she liked me to play with her bones while she chewed them - want to share with me. You may have to make an adult decision and let him go to a place where he will be happy & loved by all. It isn't your fault that it didn't work out. YOU didn't fail him. It was the circumstances. I wish things were easier for you and your pup. I will keep you in my prayers.
Last edited by Me & Tess on Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Camickey, thank you for your generous post on my earlier response. After posting it i questioned the wisdom of bringing that up, but once submitted, i had to live with it.

Much of my frustration came out of the negative comments that were posted. The original post was looking for help and got slammed for it...funny how that parallels my reply. No sense slamming the new Chow owner, lets do what we can to assist.

I dont reply to every topic that is posted here. And there is a reason. I may not have personally experienced the issue, or know how to help resolve it. I do, however, know Chows and consider myself a pretty successful companion of Chows. But that is where my expertise ends. I dont pretend to know more or to be any sort of expert. Just my experiences and what has worked for me.
camickey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by camickey »

Thank you for your replies. I cried when I'm reading it because you are the only ones who understand me. :'( Actually I'm living with my father and his relatives (grandpa, grandma, cousins, uncle and auntie). We had a fight again just a while ago, and I was so frustrated. Really. really. frustrated. They told me really bad things and about slapping my mouth for answering. Not even my parents talk to me like that. They can't tell me to stop taking care of him and focus on my studies because even though most of the time I'm a lazyass I'm always on the honor roll. I'm now even a scholar in a famous university here in our country so they pay a very very low tuition. Can't they just leave me and Mochi alone. :( I don't ask them to do anything regarding Mochi because in the end they would just complain and let him stay in his crate. I'm disciplining him and it seems they can't understand that. They would get angry at him for biting them but they won't let me put him inside our house to train him. It's really infuriating. I decided to move out and live with my cousins on my mother side, but if they also want us then I'll stay with my mom. I will forever stand up for Mochi. If they don't like Mochi, the I don't like them either. I don't have sibling, who will be there to support me and understand me so I only have Mochi.

Also, my boyfriend cannot have Mochi in their house because his younger sister has cynophobia. :|
Last edited by camickey on Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Mochi is so beautiful, & still just a baby. These are his formative years. Do you give him doggy things that he can chew when he is alone or in your house. Pups need to chew things.
Me & Tess is right, and if you will search the forum there is a long post that covers just about everything you could possibly ask about Tess, and a good story about raising a chow.
You have a crate, read up on crate training Mochi. The key thing is to make the crate a place where she can feel secure. Being in the crate should not be punishment. She should want to be in her crate where she can relax and be safe. The crate should not be a negative thing. Now I have not used crate training, but we have used a variation on the concept by having beds for our dogs. (This hasn't really worked with the chows, but I am using this as an example.) The dogs were trained to go to their individual beds, and there they knew that they were safe and secure. We can tell the terriers "go to your bed" and they will go there where they are not under foot and can be where they will not be messed with. When Ursa was younger, she would stay behind the recliner. I had a sheet over it to keep cat hair off it, and the sheet hung down behind the chair. This made a "den" where Ursa could hide and feel safe.
What I do when out in public is have the dogs sit or lay down when people approach. I may then kneel beside them to make them relax and feel secure. If someone wants to touch them, I tell them that they have to approach from the front of the dogs and ask them to touch under their chin or on their chest. Touching a dog on the top of the head or back is a sign of dominance, and many dogs do not like this from strangers. A chow looks like a big stuffed toy to many people and they do not understand the importance of showing some respect to the dog. All of this is a part of socialization. It is a lot of work and takes a lot of time.
Good luck.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Dear Camickey, I hope you get through that rough patch of adolescence with grace. Dont ever think of running away just because of how your aunts and dad is treating Mochi. From the looks of it, you are better off to stay with your family-them. I understand how you feel. But being an intelligent lady that you are, look at it this way: you are only 17 still studying, don't have a home to call your own with your dad, dont have a job to keep you financially stable, and (+) have a dog that's given to you by someone special to your heart . A pup who can be your source of happiness in such a gloom. By these things in front of you, you will be better off if you learn to deal with diplomacy. We are Filipinos and answering back to elders is never tolerated so now you have a ruffled feather so to speak.
What you are doing sleeping in the couch is okay with Mochi. REALLY HARD TO LIVE with relatives. I dont know as my 3weeks stay in my Aunt's abode in Australia felt like an eternity to me. She have rules I thought was draconian. No talking back while I grew up and my dad (her kuya) gives us a chance to reason out or reason with him once before putting his verdict.
As for experience: I got left from my family's beach outing because my ate (older sister) does not want my puppy dalmatian Cookie in the back of the van in her crate as she'll have furr and smell etc . So my father have sided with them as they are many (my mom my bro)
So I decided I wont come because I fear my puppy will not be fed come lunch and will die and that was a whole day picnic. I also felt rebellious and cried. The only thing My experience is different from you is we have our own house and though my mom does not want any dog in the house, she let me care for Cookie at the balconahe (terrace) for 7 months and they pretty much let me design the doghouse and they paid for it of course. I am now 35 and have kids of my own and I am now on the side of being a parent. I dont know my eldest pet a sparrow is now grown and i gave her 3 more days to teach it to feed itself and be done with it. I dont want bird poop in the home. That 3 days by the way has been extended to 1week as I loved animals and couldnt let that poor sparrow fly away without being practiced in feeding herself first.
camickey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by camickey »

I completely understand what you all said. I felt bad after I talked back to my parents or relatives. -_____- It's just that can you imagine your chowling being treated like just other stray dogs? Hitting them, shouting at them, treating him like he's not a living thing. I ALWAYS. always explain to them that chows are sensitive. They shouldn't be hit and that we should be very very patient because it's not that easy to change ones behavior. After all he's just a puppy. I really can't stand it. I don't have anything, money job and my own house but all I want is for them to love and care for Mochi like how I love him and care for him. I don't know why but they can't really understand it. I know I'm wrong in some points but I rather live with my cousins wherein there are people who will be patient and will look out for him. I won't have any worries. I can't leave him in our house because I'm afraid they will do anything bad to him while I'm gone. Even if they are my family, the fact that they don't want Mochi makes me worried. :(

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm also giving him toys to chew but he'll get tired of it.
Attachments
IMG00050-20120604-1309.jpg
IMG00050-20120604-1309.jpg (166.67 KiB) Viewed 6791 times
By the way, it's Mochi and Popo. He is my cousin's chow mix. They will always be like this. Mochi loves to play with him. :D
By the way, it's Mochi and Popo. He is my cousin's chow mix. They will always be like this. Mochi loves to play with him. :D
IMG00052-20120604-1309.jpg (152.09 KiB) Viewed 6791 times
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Encourage people to pet your Mochi and put your hand over Mochi's mouth to limit the chance of him biting. It will make mochi used to being petted. Perhaps that is the result of him being in his crate most of the time before you decided to come here and ask.
Also, biting is different from mouthing. Biting means the skin is punctured. Mouthing on the other hand involves no wounds. Mouthing is playing. Either for dominance or attention seeking. Nipping one's ankles has to stop as it can evolve into biting and for me it has something to do with dominance.
-sorry as I dont sound clear in my first post as I sometimes inadvertently omitted words. Hard to check my composition with my iphone's limited screen size.
:D Goodluck!
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

It will be 3 or 4 more years before you can spread your wings and leave the nest, so to speak.
Could you imagine that I have waited until I graduated from college in UST before I got a dog of my own? As my previous pets will be dead come my vacation time so I personally told myself that I shall not get a dog until I will be there for good. My mom who dislikes dogs have come to love Cookie and she actually missed that old guard when I moved to a new house when I got married, Cookie used to nibble and thus destroy her ground orchids, ferns and especially if there are flower buds or flowers during Cookie's puppy hood. You imagine my mom's shrieks when she saw the evidence on the floor. And being a Dal she pretty much destroyed a lot! the RAV4's car cover, garden hose, numerous underwears etc. yet through all that, Cookie's charm worked through, and my mom would say she wished Cookie is still around (cookie died last year jan 27 2011). Cookie had a habit of following my mom when she does her orchid gardening.
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

In our culture, Camickey, the elders will always if not most of the time have their way. We could do nothing about it. For now we completely depend on them. Sooner or later we can already stand on our own. When it comes to arguing w/ them, they are usually right even if they are very wrong. My mom will always tell me,"I've been there, I've done that". You know the Filipino saying, "You're still on your way, and I've headed back a hundred times now." I make sure my parents will get my point or will understand my side. I make sure they'll hear me out. When they think I'm doing something bad, I always prove them wrong. Prove to your dad and aunts that you can raise Mochi well. That You can bring out the good in him. Be firm. Do not give up for Mochi is depending on his mommy. :) I know you'll get through that phase. If they can't accept it, they'll get use to it ;)

GOODLUCK!
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

:D
"Papunta ka pa lang, pabalik na ako." (let me try this: "You are just beginning to walk through life, while I am already on my way back to where I've come from.") ugh! I ain't good at translating either.
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

Cam Atis wrote::D
"Papunta ka pa lang, pabalik na ako." (let me try this: "You are just beginning to walk through life, while I am already on my way back to where I've come from.") ugh! I ain't good at translating either.
Hahahaha! Well I was having a hard time translating that old-saying! #-o :?: