Majesty Chows in Oregon

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Mikosmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Majesty Chows in Oregon

Post by Mikosmom »

Hi all! My daughter & I are researching breeders to add a chowgirl to our home. Our Miko lost his sister Genie in July 2004 & is not used to being an only chow. My daughter has been corresponding with LaRinda of Majesty Chows in Oregon & we are impressed with her website & the answers my daughter has received to e-mails.

Does anyone here have experience with them?

Thanks.
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Well, I took a look at the website. I don't know these people but I can say I'm not impressed overall.

By the first of March, they'd already had two litters. If they keep going at this rate, they could easily have eight litters this year alone. That is not a good thing - that many litters makes me think that they're doing this just to make money and not because they necessarily have quality animals. More on the quality to come.

Nowhere on that site do they discuss any health testing on their breeding stock. She refuses to guarantee eyes (see my comments on entropion below) but does say she guarantees the "dog’s adult bite to be scissors or level, hips to pass OFA until 2 ½ years of age and against any congenital disability that would make this dog unworthy for breeding or show that is evident by 1 year of age unless otherwise stated. This applies to dogs sold on an open registration. " Basically this means that if you are getting a pet quality dog, this guarantee is null and void (because she also mentions limited registration which I'm sure is what she sells her "pet" puppies on). One year of age is pretty early for some congenital problems to show up. She gives no option of any refund ever - even if the dog she sells you ends up with full hip displasia to the point of needing hip replacement. All she will do is give you another dog (and why would you want another dog "of the same quality" that potentially has the same problems?).

As far as the pedigrees go:

In the current litter, in the 62 relatives listed (five generations) there are only ten champions listed and only seven OFA's listed. Neither sire nor dam have OFA's mentioned, and there are only two listed in the first three generations. You have to go four generations back before you find the first champion, too.

In the previous litter (whelped in January) they did a bit better: four OFA's in the first 16 relatives and two champions in the first three generations (out of 14 dogs total). That's still incredibly poor for a pedigree, and sadly deficient in OFA testing.

It concerns me that she talks about entropion and makes it sound like it can commonly be stopped - and downplays that it is nearly always genetic. In fact she puts so much emphasis on entropion being environmentally caused that she actually says "Commonly a large majority of breeders do not guarantee the puppies eyes because the breeder has no control of the care of the puppies eyes once it leaves." This is bogus and a way to avoid responsibility. I doubt that she has any of her breeding stock CERF'd. Surely she would say if she did.

So with no mention of her dogs and bitches having hips and elbows x-rayed, eyes CERF'd, thyroid tested, etc. - I would NOT buy a dog from this breeder. She talks about "bettering the breed" but I can't see that breeding willy-nilly and producing litters from dogs not health tested and not proven in the show ring is bettering the breed in ANY way.

So, anyway, that's my unbiased and honest opinion. I think you could do much better - and please don't be swayed by a cute puppy face. It's not worth buying a dog that comes from such untested breeding stock. You'd have just as much luck in getting a pup from a shelter, and you wouldn't have to pay nearly as much I'm sure.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
... accepts no excuses for breeding without the proper health testing first.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

IliamnasQuest wrote:
So with no mention of her dogs and bitches having hips and elbows x-rayed, eyes CERF'd, thyroid tested, etc. - I would NOT buy a dog from this breeder. She talks about "bettering the breed" but I can't see that breeding willy-nilly and producing litters from dogs not health tested and not proven in the show ring is bettering the breed in ANY way.

So, anyway, that's my unbiased and honest opinion. I think you could do much better - and please don't be swayed by a cute puppy face. It's not worth buying a dog that comes from such untested breeding stock. You'd have just as much luck in getting a pup from a shelter, and you wouldn't have to pay nearly as much I'm sure.

... accepts no excuses for breeding without the proper health testing first.
I have to agree with everything Melanie has said. The one responsiblity any one who breeds has in my opinion is to get every test known done to any dog they are going to breed, and then evaluate for temperment and intelligence and then and only then breed just a few times a year, (no more than twice per bitch and I'd like to see only once) Too many litters makes me worry about socialization which is very important even with little bitty chows.

Any thing less than full testing and more than a couple of litters a year, is just trying to make money and that's not what it's supposed to be about. Like Melanie said there are some lovely puppies and young dogs at shelters and rescues all over the country...and they are far cheaper.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Jasper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jasper »

Is there a Kennel on the West Coast or anywhere really, that you or others would give 5 out of 5 stars?
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Okay, in my long and rambling way I'm going to talk about "five star kennels" .. *L* .. please bear with me, or skip this altogether if you're not interested.

I think most people on here would encourage adopting from rescue first. But I did purchase my last chow, and I did it for a particular reason. My first two chows were adopted and not purchased. For the third one, I wanted a certain type and I had plans to show. So I searched for the right breeder.

It took me a year to find the puppy that was right for me. The types of chows available out there ranges widely, and kennels that some people might consider "5 star" would not be that at all to me because I don't like the type of chow they produce. I look at the chow as a working dog, not as a foo-foo. They were originally bred to do a number of tasks and unfortunately some breeders have taken this once versatile dog and turned it into something that lays around the house and huffs and puffs if it has to trot for five minutes. The dogs that are being bred to produce the extremely heavy bone and head features are not what I consider "quality" - and I will straight out say that this is MY opinion.

I've been told by "reputable" breeders that I put my dogs at risk because I let them run and interact and jump logs in the woods. I'm told that they will tear cruciates doing this and that they don't allow their dogs to run on anything but a flat surface within their kennels. To me, it's a travesty that people are breeding dogs that run such a high risk of torn cruciates! If a dog can't do normal dog activities (running and jumping should be normal) then a breeder is working against the good of the breed.

So .. to me a five star kennel would be one that is breeding capable dogs, that can breathe well, see clearly and be within the breed standard without being so overdone that they can't live normal dog lives. They would do all the health testing that is necessary for the breed and would breed responsibly and not just pump out a bunch of litters in order to make money. They would prove their dog's conformation with either a conformation championship and/or a breed survey done by at least two different judges. They would show that their dogs can be active and sound by working them in physical sports. They would prove their dogs have intelligence and excellent temperament by working them in obedience and putting an obedience title on them.

I just don't know many five star chow breeders, unfortunately. I purchased Khana from Clos de Lion kennels in Ontario, Canada. I lucked into contacting her just at the right time and she had a puppy that was perfect for me. But she rarely breeds, and has bred Khana's dam for the last time. She's working on titles (both conformation and obedience) now on the dogs that she has.

The Redcloud kennels on the east coast tends towards active, well-built dogs with excellent temperament. I see Redcloud dogs with obedience titles on occasion, too. Most chow people don't bother to put in the work it takes to show their dogs in obedience .. I happen to love it, but then I'm weird like that .. *L* Overall, however, the Redcloud kennel is well-known for gorgeous healthy dogs with proper temperament.

I think that everyone has to make their own checklist of what they expect from a breeder, and then compare any breeders they find to their particular checklist. Many people are not as concerned as I am with the physical working ability of a chow and so they may not be as stringent as I am in my qualifications. But I think that everyone should be concerned with the health testing and no one should purchase dogs from a kennel who does not stress the importance of hip and elbow x-rays, eye certifications, and testing the thyroid (at the very least). I also think that temperament should be extremely high on the list of necessary qualifications for anyone looking for a dog.

Jasper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jasper »

Thank you for your response. I agree 100 % with everything that you have said. It's just so hard to differentiate those that walk the walk vs. talk the talk. Our 10 year old girl is from a well know kennel that has had chows in Westminster, but she has had so many health problems it has been heart breaking for us, but she has the heart of a Lion and is very stoic and determined. We hope to buy a larger rural property in the next few years and would love to get involved in showing and obedience. We would ideally like 4 dogs. Probably 2 chows, a male and a female, a german shepherd and a rescue. So I am starting my research now.

I also prefer what I would call a more natural chow. I would like extremely athletic chows that could go out hiking with us. (We are 40, so it sounds more athletic than it probably would be.) My husband would like to train the Shepherd for tracking and search and rescue, and has some lines on some breeders that have been recommended. But it would be great if we could all go out and enjoy the outdoors together, with no one having to be left behind at home or kept waiting in the truck (along with me) because they can't keep up.

Any other insights would be appreciated.
creekhouse
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Majesty Chows in Oregon

Post by creekhouse »

Our family purchased a Chow from Majesty Chows four years ago. We have the most wonderful, above average intelligence, well pointed white chow, and she has been a shinning light in our family. When we got her, at 8 weeks old, she came with a well organized folder that contained records of her puppy shots and a schedule for her future injections. It also included feeding suggestions and many pages with hints on raising chows. I called several times for support and was advised wisely.

From our Chow's day of birth we were in close communication with Belinda (can't remember if it's Belinda or Melinda??). She sent progressive photos to let us see how our pup was developing. I begged to take her at six weeks, but Belinda said "no." Eight weeks is better for the puppy's health. She now lives in the mountains of Oregon, runs circles around us on the trails and never has tired...even in snow over her head. She has never fought with other dogs or people on the trail and does a fabulous job of staying with us off leash. (We live in a "no leash" area). As far a hip problems, she has none. I was told the x-rays are very spendy and displasia cannot be diagnosed until the dog is at least a year old. This is hearsay, but worth checking out.

I cannot think of one reason why Majesty Chows would not find you the best dog for your family. We looked at a lot of dogs and took two years, after the death of our last chow, to find the right on for us. I'll try to insert two photos of Chabo's daughter...the one we waited for.

Because I can't figure out how to insert a photo, I will try on another post...or let it go. Good luck.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

Dim Sum came from Majesty. His mother was a champion.

FWIW, as far as I know, Larinda quit about two years ago. But I notice the former site's entrance page was put up or at least updated on February 12. None of the other pages are up though.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Well I do agree with Melanie and gang of Alaska. Though I am a first time chow owner (I got her frm breeder) I like to see my chow as a dog capable of hunting, guarding, pulling sleds and be a loyal dog to his or her family and is expected to put on a fierce stance should someone challenged him on his territory. I don't wanna see a chow who's a lap dog that basically he already lost most of his characteristics as a result of selective breeding to the point it is no longer a utility chow but a show dog. A true breeder at heart will not bred more than once a year for the dam's sake. So her teats will have time to go back to its shape and not go dangling about due to litter after litter after litter.
P.s. Dim Sum looks good yet I noticed the hair are extra long. Perhaps it is the desired characteristic being bred.
Anyway, these things does not mean anything to those who just want a pet. It only matters to some of us who feels strongly that breed characteristics (external and behaviour as well as intelligence) should be maintained at all cost over popular opinion or demand. Enterprisinh individuals, however, will follow on popular demand or what's chic
lovechows55
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lovechows55 »

I just wanted to add another voice to the group who are warning about this website. I'm a member of AKC and CCCI, the national chow club, and even in our organization there are a few people who have been sold puppies with many health problems--despite rigorous screening. In my own case, I had a chow for 15 1/2 years who was the sweetest, friendliest dog on the planet (not that I'm biased) but she also developed hip dysplasia when she was 12 years old. Her last 3 1/2 years were excruciating to watch as she struggled with the pain caused by this disease--which is inherited.

Please do not buy a dog from anyone who is not testing for all of these genetic problems and make sure they are willing to stand behind their dog if problems arise. Your dog will be with you for many years so it's critical to do your homework (cudos to you for checking!) so you can save yourself money and heartbreak later.

Good luck finding your pup!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I do not know anything about this breeder or any other breeder. Having made this disclaimer, it breaks my heart to see all the chows available for rescue that cannot find a home. I would like to say that if you are not interested in showing or breeding your chow, PLEASE consider a rescue.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Moderators' note: We are locking this thread. It is old and dated (2006), brought back live 6 years later. Original poster adopted a rescue chowling 2 years later, whose biological sister is Victory's Dreamdancer.

Thank you for your participation on this topic.