Here We Go

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Here We Go

Post by Rory's Dad »

OK, so its official. Rory is off to try the world of the show dog. Somewhat divided as he will be heading off for 2 weeks to learn the ropes, so we will miss him bunches, but we are very trusting of the handler. Either way, this should be a good experience for him from a training and socialization standpoint.

Our trainer has had great success with Chows, and she loves his physical attributes, so the only hurdle will be his ability or desire to get it. Hoping he enjoys it and grabs a few CH points along the way. He told me he wants to meet Martha Stewart at Westminster next year. Not her dog, just her, he likes her decorating styles better than ours (kidding, he didnt actually say that).

Anyway, attached are a couple recent pics of Rory just hanging out. I put this in general due to the news, rather than pics. We will be traveling to the shows, so it looks like Red Roof Inns for a lot of weekends (dog friendly motel chain).

P1000194 (2).jpg
P1000194 (2).jpg (80.93 KiB) Viewed 3243 times
P1000187 (2).jpg
P1000187 (2).jpg (76.38 KiB) Viewed 3243 times
P1000183 (2).jpg
P1000183 (2).jpg (76.78 KiB) Viewed 3243 times
Kaysa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Here We Go

Post by Kaysa »

Good luck on the shows! Rory it's gorgeous I'm sure he's going to do just fine.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

From 1 Massachusetts Chow owner to the next, Good Luck at the shows ;-)
Clover is rooting Rory on!
Attachments
IMG_2130.JPG
IMG_2130.JPG (45.8 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Rory is a stunning boy and I am sure that he will do well in the ring. I am wondering why he needs to go away from his beloved dad to learn. Mine learnt how to show by me slowly shaping their behaviour and teaching them to stand properly. We haven't picked up any champ points, though both of them have been placed at Crufts. Good luck both of you in your future showing \:D/
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Thank you so much for your well wishes.

Means a ton coming from Clover, Boston area Chows tend to be a small bunch.

Sir, we will not be able to show Rory ourselves, so he needs the time to get acquainted with the handler. Rory's biggest fault to date is his attachment to my daughter. He displays a bit of separation anxiety when away from her in public. Fine at home, but he basically goes into selective hearing mode whenever he is outside his comfort zone and its not her talking to him. Rory needs to build the bond with his handler, so that is the reasoning behind him going on vacation.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

On that note of Boston Area Chows, Agreed!
- I am Metro Boston, and people meeting a puppy chow- well,.... seems to be a novelty- which isnt bad, but ;-) Let me know if you ever hear of any Chow gatherings in MA/surrounding States !
All the Best!
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

We wish Rory and you nothing but good luck. One of my friends told me it's 1/3 pedigree, 1/3 what you see and 1/3 what Rory will become. So you never know until you try and you are doing it right. Just curious what pedigree line does he come from? It funny that most Chow show dogs I've looked at have a lot of the same ancestors, four or five generations back. We brought our Brutus to a show when he was 7 months and did really well but needs time to grow up to compete against the Champion we faced. Next month we are going to try it again and he'll be 11 months old. He has really grown but he'll be even better at 2 years old I believe.

Brutus
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

I wish I could show Dim Sum. He comes from great stock. His mother is a champion, having finished her points. Outwardly, he looks like a show dog too. But even if he hadn't been neutered, his tongue is not all purple. :(

Best of luck showing Rory!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Ahhh right got you. I didn't read it properly that you were using a handler :D You should have a go yourself once you see him started. It is fun and whether he wins or not you know you have the best chow of all to take home.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.