adopting outside of the US

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Kiejt
Rank 0
Rank 0

adopting outside of the US

Post by Kiejt »

Hello!

As I am new here, I wanted to say "hi" :oops: ....
and also, I was wondering if there is a possibility to adopt a chow if you're not from the States? I've noticed most dogs mentioned here are from the US...

I know it means a lot of stress for the dogs to travel, but it's still better than having no family, right?
I've spent 3 months in India and the dog I have now is from there. Anyhow, what I want to say is: she really didn't like the journey, but it was worth not living on the streets anymore.

I've checked f. ex. some German sites, but somehow, they are either already adopted or female (my dog doesn't like females), or they have some problem and are only given to people who have A LOT of experience with this breed.

Anyhow, if it's not possible, this is still a great site :lol:
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: adopting outside of the US

Post by cherriemater »

Welcome!

While I don't have much help to offer I wanted to be sure someone responded. Are there any rescues in your country that could limit the travel-time? I think chow chows are more scarce in warmer climates but there are folks from Africa and Australia on this site, so perhaps I'm wrong about that.

I do, however, have a warning. BE VERY CAREFUL about ads that say they'll ship to you. There are so many scams out there you really have to be prepared to do your due diligence to ensure you don't get your money taken from you, either by the pup not arriving or by an ill pup being sent. Many folks here would recommend that you, at least, travel to the breeder so you can pick yours out and also evaluate the Bitch/Sire for their temperments. We didn't have that luxury and feel very blessed each day that our pups are thriving. We bought from a breeder who is five hours away but we spent a lot of time emailing back and forth. And that leads me to my next piece of advice. Any breeder who does NOT communicate well with you, answer ALL your questions and concerns ... you should walk away. Painful as that might be it is well known and reported that any breeder of repute is not hesitant to talk about history of parents or past pups, how they socialize the pups before you get them and offer advice on how to raise them.

You have a rocky road ahead of you with many hurdles but if you're willing to do your research that ALONE tells me you'll be a good chow chow owner. They are a special breed that requires patience and willingness to bend to this breeds special needs and once you have one, you'll never want another breed. Please keep us posted as to your progress. I'm sure if anyone has a resource for you closer to your locale, they'll share it. Please also feel free to share pictures and interactions you may have with your potential breeder. If there are any red flags, I'm sure folks on this site will share those with you, too. One final thought ... if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Kiejt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kiejt »

Thank you for your reply! =)

Everything you said is indeed true. And don't worry, I would never buy a puppy over the Internet or something alike. There are also some breeders around here, but I would prefer taking a dog from the rescue. I'll just keep on looking! I'm sure some Chow in need will cross my road sooner or later!
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

I'm so happy to hear it!!! When we lost our Kimba last year (pictured below) we looked into both rescues and a breeder. We were having trouble getting a rescue to us and at the same time a breeder contacted us about two pups. We always wanted two and having them from the same breeder/litter made it even more tempting. I have to say that we are very VERY happy with our boys. It's been fun to watch them grow together and play together. And, I say all that because once I experienced Kimba (she was Joe's dog before we got married) I knew I NEVER wanted another breed of dog. The chance to have two little boys has made our life full of JOY.

May you find your joy soon. I'm so happy to hear that you're intent on a rescue ... that means some lucky pup out there is going to have a happy home for the rest of its' life. Best of luck to you!!!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Welcome to the "chow neighborhood"

I want to wish you my best on finding your chow. Two paws up to you for wanting to rescue. =D= Both of mine were resuces. I rescued my beloved Chloe when she was 2 years old and she passed away last year at the age of 15. She had been abused and abandoned prior to me rescuing her. Lots of love, patience and good-old fashioned spoiling help her to become a real treasure and my devoted companion. This past December I rescued Whitby who is going on 7 years. I guess I have a soft spot in my heart for older dogs because they also need a home. Most people seem to want the puppies because they are cuter and more playful. Either way, it is a win-win. :) The dog gets a new home and you gain a new friend that will give you unconditional love. \:D/

Please keep us posted
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

Kiejt wrote:I know it means a lot of stress for the dogs to travel, but it's still better than having no family, right?
I've spent 3 months in India and the dog I have now is from there. Anyhow, what I want to say is: she really didn't like the journey, but it was worth not living on the streets anymore.
With regards to a Chow Chow, I would be more worried about the weather than any stress the dog might have. The dog can get over the stress, but the weather could literally kill it. I've read some airlines won't even transport Chows because it is just too risky, given their susceptibility to heat stroke.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Kiejt wrote:
I've checked f. ex. some German sites, but somehow, they are either already adopted or female (my dog doesn't like females)
Where do you live?

There are a number of lovely chow boys available in Germany, so I'm not sure what you are talking about!
http://www.chowinnot.de/index.php?tp=zuhause
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Hello and welcome. I applaud your wish to addopt a rescue chow but I feel there are a number of things against looking outwith India.
The journey could be very stressful and dangerous for a chow to a hot country. How can you be sure that the airline will realise or care avout a heavy coated chow in a crate standing on a runway in the heat. I would honestly not consider flying a chow from a cooler climate to India. Sorry if that sounds overly negative but I feel that dog from the country it is being adopted in would be better able to cope with climate and you could spend time checking the temperament and compatability with your present dog which is very important when taking in a rescue rather than a baby which you can check the breeding, parents etc. Good luck
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.