hot spot??

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

hot spot??

Post by BeckiHutton »

OK, so I have just given lily a really thorough groom, and discovered what looks like a hot spot, just above her chest where her collar goes. I will upload a picture. I have tried putting some of my sons nappy rash cream on it for now, which should hopefully stop it from itching. Thankfully it is in a place where she can't scratch. Do you guys think it's a hot spot? She hasn't had one in a long time, don't know what would have caused it. She had some leftovers from our roast yesterday, but I don't think anything in there would have caused it :( poor girl
Attachments
2012-03-06 22.34.01.jpg
2012-03-06 22.34.01.jpg (21.94 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: hot spot??

Post by Cocoa »

Hi Becki, it does look like it could be a hot spot. I had Cocoa in to the vet recently for her annual check/shots and was (un)fortunate at the time to have Cocoa chewing on her tail and the beginning of the hot spot (I think from a new treat that I had given her). The vet's advice was to make sure that I kept scabs from forming (and removing them by soaking with a warm cloth when they did form) and put antibiotic cream (polysporin) on it. What came as a surprise to me is that apparently in dogs, unlike humans, the scab does not protect the area and let it heal but actually traps bacteria and allows the infection to grow. I did that with Cocoa's tail, as well as stopping the offending treat, and in a couple of days it was all better.