this is horrible

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

this is horrible

Post by BeckiHutton »

Somebody posted this picture on Facebook the other day. I think it's a chow from China. I think it's horrible :( how anybody could do this to a gorgeous chow is beyond me
Attachments
401998_225292334231989_100002536727622_466281_245281125_n.jpeg
401998_225292334231989_100002536727622_466281_245281125_n.jpeg (51.53 KiB) Viewed 4690 times
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: this is horrible

Post by MissV »

you know, if they wanted a poodle, they should have gotten one!!!! POOR POOR BOY! he must feel so humiliated :(
everyone here in south africa shaves thier chows too... god only knows why! Yes, its hot, but then again - its not like we live in the dark ages! We do have aircon and some of us keep groom our pets properly for through-flow!!!! Why bother getting a chow if you're going to destroy its beauty!?

You're right becki, this picture is HORRID!
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

I know... why make a chow look like a poodle. It's silly. It's not like they've even done it to make him cool, it's just for cosmetic reasons, but it just looks silly.
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MissV »

even though i HATE what theyve done... seeing that chowlies fat rolls make me want to squish and hug him! CUUUUTE!!!! heehhehehe, im always grabbing my chowlies fatty bits. Love her!
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Yea when Ty was like 5 months I took him to my fiance's family reunion and his uncle and aunt (who owned Brian's old chow Spike previously) were completed enchanted with him, but they kept begging me to shave him to a lion cut! The lion cut is not far from a poodle cut and looks stupid to me. When he was up there, the most the temperature got was like 80 compared to the 90 he was used to walking in down here sometimes 100. That weekend it was a nice cool PA 70, which wasn't too hot for him at all. I also read that shaving them isn't the best idea and most people highly recommend not shaving them. I explained to them this and the reason why, and they argued that I live further south where it's warmer. I laughed and said the dog is spoiled and barely spends time outside on those hot days because he's too busy living it up in the air conditioned condo. They're looking to get another chow chow to give it a go after their toy dog dies (the dog is very old). I have doubts about it though and wonder if I would end up borrowing it to train it or end up keeping it because they couldn't deal with the last one, that's why they gave it up to Brian's family half way through life. Their stubborn personalities collided, but they know chows. Sigh. Anyways, no way could I ever to that to my chow just because lol.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I agree I think it's pretty bad too, it looks ugly and i generally think that people who do that to chows are just plain lazy. They clip poodles because they actually have long silky, curly hair that tangles if you look at it hard, it gets really matted very fast, so clipping it actually keeps a poodle more comfortable. But a chow not so much. And sun burn is a problem you have to look out for with chows, and that will distroy their ablity to regrow the coat.

I also don't like the extra weight this chow is carrying, those fat rolls and chubby tummy are not the marks of a healthy chow. This chow needs less food, more exercise and to have his coat left alone.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Such a beautiful chow....how could they do that :cry:
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

How awful is that! The person or persons who did that should be shot at sunrise! (as they use to say in the old westerns)

The poor fellow. Chows are so regal. How humiliating!. I bet if he sees himself in a mirror he'll probably run somewhere and hide or he'll growl and bark
thinking he is seeing another animal.

Can you imagine how long it will take for his coat to grow back in and how it will look. I was told by the groomer I used for Chloe that if you shave them down to their skin and then let the coat grow back in their ne coat will not lay right and will be full of cowlicks.
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

It's just awful isn't it. I agree with you victory, he looks very overweight. On the plus side, though... at least he has healthy skin. That is the only good thing I can see with this picture. As others have said, if you want a dog to do this to, get a poodle. Reddog. Lily had her leg shaved for her operation back in November, and it still hasn't grown back properly. It looks and feels totally different from the rest of her body. I know that it will grow back properly eventually, but who knows how long it'll take. Rough chows should have their fur, it's there for a reason. Poor, gorgeous boy
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

Well, I am not surprised to see this since I believe China is the same place that dies their chows to look like pandas & such. These people have no clue, poor chow chows!
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

I wasn't surprised, either... You're right, it is China that dies their chows. :(
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

And other dogs, too :(
Attachments
dog-tiger-small.jpg
dog-tiger-small.jpg (58.82 KiB) Viewed 4601 times
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

That is utterly ridiculous. And considering how sensitive chow skin can be either dying or shaving it like this is just cruel. :cry:
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Okay. Some people in China don't have enough to do and WAY too much money.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!