Asking for prayers....

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Asking for prayers....

Post by Tippsy'smom »

One of my really good friends called me 2 mornings ago, in tears. His 4 year old English Mastiff, Broadway, is really sick. At the time of him calling me, he had no clue how or if he was gonna be able to get him the tests and treatment he needed, but he got care credit and Broadway IS getting the treatment he desperately needed. It turns out he has heart worms (despite being on preventative); which has caused a congestive heart murmur, fluid in his lungs and a build up of fluid in his abdomen. They drained the fluid, and got him on quite a bit of medication to get him stable. And then, once he's stable they'll start the heart worm treatment. Korey's a mess over all of this. Broadway is his baby, and I know we can all relate to that. So, I'm just asking if y'all could keep them in your thoughts and prayers. I know Korey would appreciate it.

Thank y'all.
Attachments
37424_405891978540_583098540_4505953_6674076_n.jpg
37424_405891978540_583098540_4505953_6674076_n.jpg (53.8 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Asking for prayers....

Post by chowpups »

Jess I hope that Broadway responds quickly he looks like a big baby:) I did not realize they could still get heart worm while on preventive meds. Thats silly of me I guess but I never gave it a second thought, glad you said something.I Have read a lot of dogs do recover from it, so keeping all things crossed Broadway does well too.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Jess, I hope that Broadway has a speedy recovery. Mastiffs are just such gentle giants. Let your friend know that our thoughts are with them for a full recovery.
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Dear Jess,

The picture of Broadway and the thoughts of what he is going through really tugged at my heart. :cry:

Please relay my heartfelt thoughts and prayers to your friend Korey and for Broadway. Please ask Korey to give Broadway a hug from me.

Please keep us updated.

Pam
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Jess ... I'm so sorry to hear this. If need be, I have some friends with a Mastiff so if Korey has other questions, I could coordinate a facebook "meet-n-greet." Will definitely keep both in our prayers for a speedy resolution. I also hope the Vet can shed some light as to why Broadway got worms despite the meds ... and, perhaps, the meds company should be contacted FOR A REFUND!!! That might help with vet bills. Just a thought.

Double purple kisses and eight paws crossed {X} {X} {X}{X}
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Asking for prayers.... *UPDATE*

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Thank you all for the prayers and good thoughts!

*UPDATE*
Broadway is doing better. The vet sent him home Tuesday and his energy level has picked up. He's eating more and gaining his weight back slowly but surely. Korey has to take him back to the vet Saturday so they can evaluate how Broadway's doing and determine if he's strong enough to start the treatment for the heartworms. So, continued prayers and thoughts would be appreciated.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Hi Jess,

So glad to hear Broadway is doing better. Hope all will go well and he'll be strong enough for the heartworm treatments. Please tell Korey both he and Broadway are on my nightly prayer list.

I agree with Cherriemater in regards to contacting the heartworm med manufacturer. I read somewhere that if your dog has a reaction to a vaccine or it doesn't do what it is suppose to do the manufacturer is to refund your money for the med and pay any expense for treatment involved. I'd suggest Korey look into it or ask his vet about it. It's worth a shot. Veterinarians and meds for our furry "kids" aren't cheap.

Out of curiosity - what was the brand of heartworm med Broadway was given?

Please keep us updated.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I posted to this on the other site. I'm glad Broadway is doing better. (great name too btw) The truth is that no HW medication is 100% effective, they just don't market it that way though. All the manufactuers say in their ads that it is 100% effective but the truth in the small print is that all these medications are only 90-95% effective. Which is pretty good, however, I would like to see truth in advertising on this. 90-95% chance of preventing your dog from getting HW is a whole lot better than 0% chance if you don't give them anything. But it would also alert all pet, (since it has shown up in cats now too) to watch their furry friends for any signs of the early onset of the disease. Or to maybe schedule them for two tests a year in areas where the HW incidence is extremly high.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!