Thank You, RE: Whitby, the Puller

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Thank You, RE: Whitby, the Puller

Post by reddog »

I really appreciate your input and suggestions. I believe that it is possible to teach an old dog new tricks. In this case - teach her to walk nice on a loose leach - at least that is my "dream". You know they say chows can be stubborn (?) Well, I'm part German and you've heard the rumor about German's being a little stubborn. Whitby is
6 1/2 years old. She is very well behaved, socialized and knows a number of commands. I think it's just the walking on a leash part of her training that has skittered out of her brain

I love to walk and I usually take her on 4 - 5 walks a day depending on the weather. I try not to cut them short unless she is in one of her really "pulling" moods. I am the only one in my household. I lost my husband 18 yrs. ago and my daughter is grown and has a home of her own. So it's up to me, myself and I for her walks.

A couple of you suggested using treats - I'm still trying to find one she really likes. She'll usually just sniff what I offer and walk away.

I contacted the wonderful lady "Santa Paws" who helped me rescue Whitby and asked her some more questions regarding Whitby's previous lifestyle in hopes of having some light shed on why she pulls when walking on the leash. "Santa Paws" was a best friend of Whitby's guardian who passed away about 2 years ago. Up until then Whitby was walked at least twice daily on the leash. After her guardian passed away that left Whitby's care in the hands of the husband. He is Iranian and doesn't really care for dogs. He sent Whitby to relatives in N. Carolina for a while. Then he brought her back to Chicago to live with him. Had had a fenced in yard that she spent much of her time in and he never walked her. Around Thanksgiving he put her into a dog pound and he disappeared. She was there for about 3 weeks. Luckily "Santa Paws" was able to locate her and we were able to work out a plan for the relay road trip in December.

I think with all she has been through in the past 2 years may be why she pulls instead to walking nice on the leash. It's just going to take time, patience and perseverance.

Gotta think positive :wink:
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Thank You, RE: Whitby, the Puller

Post by Sarahloo »

Why did I think she was a puppy? I must be going senile!
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Thank You, RE: Whitby, the Puller

Post by cherriemater »

PAM! Oh my heavens!!! What a story. Poor, poor Whitby. I am SOOOOO glad you found her!! And, if walking is the only issue after what she's been through then what a blessing that is. Sounds like her original Momma socialized her well despite the unloving husband. And I love your commitment! Whitby is very lucky, indeed, to be in your home, your care, your arms, your heart. Good girl, Whitby. Walk nice, now.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)