General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Redalbi
Rank 0
Rank 0

New pup

Post by Redalbi »

Hi

Following loss of Albertz originally said would not have another as grief was terrible. Now have my shrine to him beside my bed with his ashes and ornaments. Miss him so much but now accept for him was the right thing.

Read so many times on this forum about your chow finding you another chow and really never understood. However, a friend knows a couple who have a chow who had pups on 17th December. It just feels like fate. I am going to see them this week, want another boy as that is what I am used to. Choice of fawn or black. Big part of me wants another red but feel would just remind me too much of my Albertz.

Excited but a bit sad too if that makes any sense.

Any advice on what should look for

Karen
Mum to Albertz who sadly passed 1st november 2011
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: New pup

Post by cherriemater »

Oh Karen!!! How excited I am for you!!! Yes, oh please Yes!!! The joy the boys have brought to our family have helped us cope so well this Christmas after the loss of our Kimba. Search Peneople or Sophie and read the topic. She asked the very same question that you did and you'll be able to read responses about getting a similar color chow.

Whatever you decide I think your heart will scream out to you when you meet those pups!! Please take lots of pics so we can share your experience. And don't be surprised is Albertz helps you find the right one, in some small way.

Best of luck to you, Karen. And double purple kisses from our boys!!!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Are you set on a puppy or would you consider rescuing an older dog?

Yes, read Penelope's topic! I'm glad you made your peace with your decision!
Chowchowmum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowchowmum »

Oh how lovely Karen, so glad you are going to see a litter, hope you find the perfect puppy to welcome into your family.

Katie.xx
Katie
Proud owner of Bella & Cleo
Wttonbell Chow Chows
http://www.wittonbellchowchows.co.uk
Thank you Siriol for the Banner!!
Penelope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Penelope »

Hi Karen!

It's wonderful that you will be able to visit the puppies, I'm sure you will know which/if one is right for you when you see them. For me it wasn't so much an issue of color as expression - there are some chows you look at and see your own dog and there are others that just have a different look. My advice is that if you have an emotional reaction to their expression you might want to consider going with the one you don't have that with (which will be counter-intuitive to your immediate response to having an emotional reaction to that puppy) because then you will build a new relationship with the puppy instead of heaping your emotions from the previous dog onto the new puppy. At least that's how I felt! I would say meet them, but then give yourself a day before you decide :)

I do think it's great to fill your life again with a new dog, it certainly doesn't diminish the love we had for the previous ones.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Beautifully spoken, Penelope.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Dont want to throw the cat among the pigeons but just thought I would mention as Sarah brought it up that there is a gorgeous blue bitch waiting for a home in a rescue in the UK. We rarely have rescue chows here and I have rung about her myself and they wont let her come to me for various reasons to do with my izzie not being spayed and me not being willing to drive three dogs down to south wales to meet her but just wondered if you would be interested?

What ever you decide I am sure you will know if you follow your heart what is right for you. So glad you have made your peace and are ready to give another furkid a home. :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Is that doggie online? Because if she is, you could post her in the "Need a home" section!
Redalbi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Redalbi »

Hi

Thanks all for replies. I am still sad re Albertz but just feel like part of my family is missing and know the only way it is going to improve is to have new furry baby.

Never my intention to do so soon but fate just kinda intervened. Cant wait to see them tomorrow need to make sure dont fall in love with both boys. Was told that you cannot have 2 boys anyway as one will try to dominate, however as proved on this forum that does not appear to be the case.

Sirchow had not considered rescue one mainly because did not think was something that would come up very often. What age is she. How could someone get rid of a chow. But then dont get how anyone can be cruel or abandon any animal.

Speak soon

Karen x
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Karen good luck tomorrow it will be exciting and Iam sure you will be thinking of Albertz, Iam in the same situation after losing Nikki, I feel the emptiness and can't wait for the right time. I have some things to take care of at the moment but my heart is ready to add another to the family..
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Karen I am so glad I didn't upset you suggesting the rescue! I know that feeling when you are all set for a baby and didn't want to put a damper on it in any way. She is called Kutie and she came from a puppy farm where she has been bred till they had no use for her any more! She is in the bit at the top where the dogs are featured that have been in fostering for a long time. You can see by the pics further down and the description that she has come a long way in that time.

What ever you decide I think any chow is going to be very lucky to have the love and care you are going to give it. Enjoy your visit with the puppies. :D
http://manytearsrescue.webs.com/dogslookingforhomes.htm
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Sorry to be so silly she has just been offered a home and is reserved. Just ignore the last post :?
Redalbi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Redalbi »

Hi all

I am so glad Kutie has been reserved, would def have considered. Hope this is her forever home deserves it after all she has been through.

Really excited at going to see the puppies, feel sad though really strange. My friend text me earlier to say she was excited for me but felt a tear for albertz also reminded me was a Tuesday that I put Alb to sleep.

Will let you all know how I get on with pups.

Thanks

Karen x
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Let's see if I can do math today ... 20 fingers crossed (between Joe and me) eight paws crossed (between Leo and Max) double purple kisses and hugs to you {\o/}. I can feel the excitement all the way in Northern Michigan!!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

It is bound to be sad as well as exciting. The two get mixed up. I hope by now you have found your baby. Let us know how you got on.
Redalbi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Redalbi »

Hi

Cherriemater you made me smile!!

Saw pups last nite my son has fell in love with black one. I found it a bit strange and did not get that feeling, with Albertz I got it straight away but to be fair he was 11 weeks when I met him and so adorable. These pups are only 4 weeks on Saturday so at this moment hard to tell much about them.

Mum is lovely although did have a sore eye which when I asked was not given any answer so not sure if just a wee infection or something more serious, she is a gorgeous dog though.

The available pups are black which is adorable or fawn(think this colour will still change as more of a grey fawn at mo). I think my problem is that my heart wants another red chow probably because I miss Albertz so much. I do get excited when I think of new pup but just dont want to make mistake. My son who is 9 says that we need to get another colour because it is a fresh start but still the breed we love. My head says different colour but my heart says red. I think I am going nuts!!

karen x
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

To be honest you dont sound like the puppies touched you heart at this point though they will get cuter as they get older :D
The reds are quite grey coloured when they are babies...what colour did the breeder think they would be when they are full grown? This is Bramble as an eight week baby and you can see how different her colouring is.
There will be other puppies if these are not the ones.
I am sorry you didn't get the feeling straight away. [:D]
Penelope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Penelope »

Although I did get the same color (mostly because that's what presented itself), I went with my head and purposely chose a puppy that seemed different then my previous, even though my heart was pulling for a puppy from the same breeder that looked VERY similar to my last dog. And this puppy, now home, IS very different then Sophie was, but I like that. I feel like I'm discovering a new dog, and I am sure my bond will be just as strong with the puppy when it develops, but it won't be mixed up in the bond I had with Sophie. If that makes any sense. But in the end, you have to go with your gut feeling!! (which is neither your head or heart :mrgreen: )
Kaysa
Rank 0
Rank 0

New pup

Post by Kaysa »

Hey Karen, don't worry I'm sure you'll find the right puppy for you or better yet he'll find you.

3 years ago, when I went to the breeder to pick my chow, my heart was set on the chubby grey one from the pictures I had seen, but the puppy didn't like me, the moment I picked him up he started squirming and crying so I put him down, then a little cream ball of fur touch my leg and gave me a look that said "pick me", the moment I took him in my arms I knew he was the one, he fell asleep on my arms, while I talk with the breeder. In the end, he choose me not the other way around.

So maybe the trick is to not to think, you'll know when the right one cross your path.
karenmarie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by karenmarie »

My heart goes out to you. We as well as you have our beloveds ashes and paw prints as memories. We will always miss our family members and could never replace that love, We have however opened our hearts to new family members that are sweet loving distractions from our loss. I agree, our family members have chosen us through out the years. Sometimes things work in very mysterious ways. We all must be brave and open our hearts, take a leap of faith, love is waiting for you. We are excited to hear of your new love and see loads of pictures. Good luck in your new adventure!!! We will cross everything here as well!!!!
Bella & Balou
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Just sent you a PM :D
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I recently had a similar experience...within 6 months we lost Kodi who was 13 due to hip issues. He just couldnt lift himself up any more. And Teddee at age 9 due to seizures. They were both creams who were given to our children for their 5th birthdays. We very seriously figured we wouldn't get any other dogs. Funny how things work, but my daughter asked us who would protect her when she was home alone after school. That was probably the only issue that would have gotten us going again. I have often told a story about Kodi stopping my daughter from wandering off when my wife fell asleep on the couch by blocking the rear steps. That has always been my testament to the Chow breed, and the example of their intelligence and loyalty is why i couldnt consider any other breed.

So, back to the present day...lol. The timing was perfect, we located a breeder with a recent litter. They were going to be cinammons and reds. I felt the same, we always had creams and were very fond of that coloring. We went anyway and met three of the puppies. My daughter was drawn to 2 of the more active pups. My wife was drawn to the calmer, heavier pup. While my daughter chased the 2 across their yard, the 3rd cuddled up and went to nap in my wifes lap. In short order, we knew the right answer.

Rory has been with us for 2 and 1/2 months now. We picked him up when he was 8 wks old. We are thrilled. His coloring and laid back personality are different enough that he is his own dog and doesnt always bring us back to our other dogs. BTW, he still zooms and chases our daughter enough to keep her interest. But being a chow, he does things that remind us why we love the breed. He displays the same traits and attitudes that our other boys had, so that kind of keeps them in our minds in a nice way.

Rambling response to get to my point (maybe)...but i agree with other posts...you will know it and perhaps the dog will pick you. Dont rush/force it. Your son may be right that a different color is right, but dont limit it.
Redalbi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Redalbi »

Rorys dad

Thanks for posting you make a lot of sense. Not rushing into anything but am now excited at prospect of new furry baby.

Going back this week to see pups and hoping will be able to make decision. Also might be another option so we will see what happens. One thing I do know is that 2012 will be the year get new pup.

So happy you are enjoying Rory. What colour is he?

Karen x
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Rory is a red. He hasnt gotten full coloring yet, as he his only 16 weeks, but getting closer.